NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 423 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Trailer hitch prep option ?

Hello
I am a member of the 996 Forum.
I am looking to purchase a used Cayenne
I need one with a trailer hitch.
I know without one, it is close to $2000.00 for hitch, ecu reprogram etc, to get one completely installed.
However, I am finding a few trucks with trailer hitch prep package, but no hitch.
What does this mean, consist of?
How much is involved in completing the truck with a hitch?
Thank you
David
Apalachin, NY
Old 01-05-2020, 09:17 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, this is easy to do and breaks down into 2 focus areas :
  1. The physical hitch/bar. Installing this will be a 1 to 2 hour deal since you need to take off your rear bumper. Just look on YouTube to find instruction videos. I went with a 110$ Curtis hitch from what I recall, not the spendy Porsche one. Works like a charm.
  2. Control unit + wiring. I just called Sunset Porsche in OR and had Luke assemble me a list of all the components I needed. Everything arrived within a week. The control unit is shared by VW/Audi/Porsche and goes behind your Bose rear amp (cargo area). Pulling the wiring all the way to the hitch was not that bad, let's say that this was another 1 to 2 hour task. Total cost for all these OEM components was about 300$ from what I recall (Sunset only takes a 5% mark-up)
Once it is all installed, you need to activate the control module, for which a PIWIS is needed (Durametric cannot do this). Cost me 72$ at an Indy.

Conclusion : this is feasible in an afternoon's work and will cost you about 500$. Hitch can be aftermarket, control module + wiring should be OEM.
Hope this helps.
Old 01-05-2020, 09:39 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yvesatlanta
Yes, this is easy to do and breaks down into 2 focus areas :
  1. The physical hitch/bar. Installing this will be a 1 to 2 hour deal since you need to take off your rear bumper. Just look on YouTube to find instruction videos. I went with a 110$ Curtis hitch from what I recall, not the spendy Porsche one. Works like a charm.
  2. Control unit + wiring. I just called Sunset Porsche in OR and had Luke assemble me a list of all the components I needed. Everything arrived within a week. The control unit is shared by VW/Audi/Porsche and goes behind your Bose rear amp (cargo area). Pulling the wiring all the way to the hitch was not that bad, let's say that this was another 1 to 2 hour task. Total cost for all these OEM components was about 300$ from what I recall (Sunset only takes a 5% mark-up)
Once it is all installed, you need to activate the control module, for which a PIWIS is needed (Durametric cannot do this). Cost me 72$ at an Indy.

Conclusion : this is feasible in an afternoon's work and will cost you about 500$. Hitch can be aftermarket, control module + wiring should be OEM.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the information.
The electrical is the part I was questioning.
If the vehicle has tow prep option, but no hitch, is the wire already there and the control module already programmed.
Is there a larger alternator and additional cooling units with tow package.?
I cannot locate any documentation on the exact description of the Trailer Tow option and the Trailer prep option.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:17 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts

What do you mean trailer prep option? When I was looking the build sheets would say “1D6 Trailer hitch without tow ball”. This is the whole thing: hitch receiver, wiring & module. All you need then is whatever size tow ball for your trailer.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:47 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vwbrd
What do you mean trailer prep option? When I was looking the build sheets would say “1D6 Trailer hitch without tow ball”. This is the whole thing: hitch receiver, wiring & module. All you need then is whatever size tow ball for your trailer.

Old 01-05-2020, 10:52 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

What do these mean, when there is not a receiver mounted under the truck?

1D0 Without towball
1D1 Trailer hitch, removable, lockable, ECE R55
1D2 Detachable trailer coupling
1D3 Trailer hitch, electrically retractable, ECE R55
1D6 Trailer coupling without tow ball
1D7 Preparation for detachable trailer coupling
1D8 Preparation for detachable trailer coupling (American version)
1D9 Electric folding trailer coupling
Old 01-05-2020, 11:10 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

You're overcomplicating it
The connectors for the hitch control module seem to be part of EVERY wiring harness. My car did not have the trailer hitch option, however, I found the required (unused) connectors behind the Bose amp in the back.
All you need to do is plug in the control module and run the wiring toward the hitch from there.
In order for the ECU to recognize the control module being present you need to activate it through PIWIS. That's all. Any Cayenne should be able to accommodate for this, even if it did not come with the OEM trailer package.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:11 PM
yvesatlanta
Racer

And no, there is no upgraded transmission cooler a la Lexus. I asked the same question at the time
Old 01-05-2020, 11:33 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yvesatlanta
And no, there is no upgraded transmission cooler a la Lexus. I asked the same question at the time
Old 01-06-2020, 02:56 AM
mr_hyde
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Since we're on the topic of installing hitches and modules, I want to confirm the Cayenne doesn't need a trailer brake controller like you would install in a 1995 F-150, correct? The module provides power to the electric brakes and some logic in the Cayenne interprets pedal pressure, pitch, etc. to send the appropriate power to the trailer brakes?

I'm buying my first Cayenne tomorrow and have been reading a lot but don't want to make ASSumptions. I'll make a proper introduction thread with a bio and some pictures tomorrow night. Awesome board here - thanks!!!!
Old 01-06-2020, 06:10 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by mr_hyde
Since we're on the topic of installing hitches and modules, I want to confirm the Cayenne doesn't need a trailer brake controller like you would install in a 1995 F-150, correct? The module provides power to the electric brakes and some logic in the Cayenne interprets pedal pressure, pitch, etc. to send the appropriate power to the trailer brakes?

I'm buying my first Cayenne tomorrow and have been reading a lot but don't want to make ASSumptions. I'll make a proper introduction thread with a bio and some pictures tomorrow night. Awesome board here - thanks!!!!
No, you will need a brake controller. You can go either the wired or wireless route. If you go wired, the connector is tucked up under the dash above the brake pedal. Hard to find but many threads on clubtouareg.
The following users liked this post:
mr_hyde (01-06-2020)
Old 01-06-2020, 07:30 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 133 Likes on 117 Posts

I'm a 996 lover and a recent 958 cayenne owner too! Planning on adding a trailer hitch as well
Old 01-06-2020, 08:55 AM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
What do these mean, when there is not a receiver mounted under the truck?

1D0 Without towball
1D1 Trailer hitch, removable, lockable, ECE R55
1D2 Detachable trailer coupling
1D3 Trailer hitch, electrically retractable, ECE R55
1D6 Trailer coupling without tow ball
1D7 Preparation for detachable trailer coupling
1D8 Preparation for detachable trailer coupling (American version)
1D9 Electric folding trailer coupling
if you plug the vin in vinanalytics.com I bet you’ll find that most are 1D6. That’s all I ever saw (and I ran way too many vins)
Old 01-06-2020, 01:28 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vwbrd
if you plug the vin in vinanalytics.com I bet you’ll find that most are 1D6. That’s all I ever saw (and I ran way too many vins)
What does that mean?
Do you have a factory hitch receiver?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:34 PM
vwbrd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
What does that mean?
Do you have a factory hitch receiver?
If you're shopping and see a cayenne for sale, go to vinanalytics and put the VIN in there. it will give you the porsche build sheet and if you see 1D6, you know that's a factory installed hitch with everything but the ball. And yes, mine does.