Sponsored By:

Tailgate would not soft close

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2019, 09:39 AM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Tailgate would not soft close

My car is at the dealer now for this issue. I think they are having hard time troubleshooting it. Anyone here had issues with this and what was the solution?
It basically started to fail with colder temps. It goes all the way down to close and just as it's about to get pulled in, that's when it fails. If I hit open button on the tailgate right away then it will lock just fine.
Dealer replaced rear lid latch ($500) and told me car is fixed. When I came to pick it up, it failed 3 times in a row on their lot, which I showed to sales rep there since service was closed
Old 11-23-2019, 12:05 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 385 Likes on 286 Posts

Hope this helps: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...ing-issue.html
Old 11-23-2019, 07:20 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAVU
Thanks. I also read that latch and lid might be misaligned. For whatever reason mine seems to work fine in warmer weather and regularly fails in cold. Or maybe it's just a coincidence
Old 11-23-2019, 08:32 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Sudar
Thanks. I also read that latch and lid might be misaligned. For whatever reason mine seems to work fine in warmer weather and regularly fails in cold. Or maybe it's just a coincidence
Mine had similar symptoms. The dealer had to follow the steps outlined by PNA so that they would get reimbursed. They replaced the latch, replaced struts, paid the body shop to check alignment and PNA sent an engineer out. They were told by PNA that Porsche SA was seeing more of it and had figured it out. S/W update was forth coming. 2 weeks later, the dealer replaced the rear lid control unit applied the s/w update.

ZERO issues ever since.
The following users liked this post:
Benjamin Cherry (01-28-2020)
Old 11-23-2019, 08:55 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info.

I wonder how this will be handled in my case. I am out of warranty. This issue happened 1 day after I received my car from previous work that was under CPO, so it was about 5 days out of warranty total. POA decided to cover it under goodwill but that was when the repair cost was $500 bucks and now it's just going to pile up. Would they cover it all the way till its fixed or dump the rest of the bills on me?
Old 11-23-2019, 09:43 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info.

I wonder how this will be handled in my case. I am out of warranty. This issue happened 1 day after I received my car from previous work that was under CPO, so it was about 5 days out of warranty total. POA decided to cover it under goodwill but that was when the repair cost was $500 bucks and now it's just going to pile up. Would they cover it all the way till its fixed or dump the rest of the bills on me?
If you show them this email thread along with the receipt I attached, It may help them call PNA for some good will. There is plenty of info on the receipt as proof that this is a known issue. If just a S/W update fixes it, the dealer may just take care of it as good will. If it requires a new rear lid control unit, PNA and/or the dealer may take care of it.
Old 11-23-2019, 10:31 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Thanks again. I'll get in touch with them on Monday. Apparently they worked on the car all day today and since no one called me I guess it's still in the shop. Maybe they already moved to next step and replaced the struts....I did tell them to call me if those are not covered by warranty, I read the are pretty expensive
Old 11-23-2019, 10:58 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

My point is that they might skip all of those steps except the end on, the S/W by using another dealer's proven experience. Hope it works out.
Old 11-23-2019, 11:51 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CAVU
My point is that they might skip all of those steps except the end on, the S/W by using another dealer's proven experience. Hope it works out.
Yes, I got it. It's too late, they worked on it all day today, although not sure what they've actually done. I will forward info to them on Monday. But on the other side if PNA covers the struts, I don't mind
Old 11-27-2019, 02:54 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Picking up on Friday. They said they made adjustments to latch and apparently it works now. Will see.
It's been relatively warm lately and it always fails when cold, so not sure if it's fixed.
Old 11-27-2019, 04:42 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

It's possible the cold places more drag on the system (struts move with more drag, or the cold makes for stiffer weather stripping) and that increased drag makes the system think there is an obstruction. CAVU, your invoice is from 5/2015, right? So that software update is not all that recent.

It would be interesting if the rear lid control unit's settings could be altered with a Launch tool to test the theory if the load threshold is the cause.
Old 11-27-2019, 10:45 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by garrett376
It's possible the cold places more drag on the system (struts move with more drag, or the cold makes for stiffer weather stripping) and that increased drag makes the system think there is an obstruction. CAVU, your invoice is from 5/2015, right? So that software update is not all that recent.

It would be interesting if the rear lid control unit's settings could be altered with a Launch tool to test the theory if the load threshold is the cause.
Will see when I get it. So far it's been free for me so I can't complain
Old 11-28-2019, 12:43 AM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 615 Likes on 471 Posts

Will see when I get it. So far it's been free for me so I can't complain
If you can, ask the tech (not the advisor!!) what actually resulted in the fix. That'd be very helpful!
Old 11-29-2019, 04:27 PM
Sudar
Rennlist Member

I got the car back. Could not speak with tech, but it's pretty clear that they made some adjustments. Before soft close would pull the tailgate in pretty hard, now you can barely see it working. You can hear the noises etc but there isn't that much pulling going on. I guess it's ok as long as it works.
Old 11-29-2019, 05:45 PM
Izula
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 2012 CTT required a new control unit to repair. Dealer went thru several visits and the Porsche troubleshooting until it failed onsite just after a closed service ticket. Handled thru CPO. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Tailgate would not soft close