Sponsored By:

Trunk Latching Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 07:11 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Trunk Latching Issue

Simply put, my trunk doesn't always latch. Many times, after i press the close button, it comes down flush to the car but them beeps and doesn't fully close. I have to manually push it in to get it to close. My dealer is telling me that its the foam piece under the flap/latch that's causing the issue. Its apparently deteriorated. Anyone have a diagram of this part and/or part number?

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2018, 10:53 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 259 Posts

I had the same issue along with many others. Didn't show up until after a few years of usage. They checked my hatch alignment, lift motors, the works. Brought in a PNA enginner to look aat mine and two others at the dealership. Porsche Germany resolved it within weeks with a new software/firmware load for the hatch closing system. Seems that the original programming was too sensitive and it thought it was closing on "little fingers".
Old 12-03-2018, 12:45 AM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 287 Posts

Mine did the same and was fixed under warranty.
Old 12-03-2018, 10:27 AM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by leftlane
Mine did the same and was fixed under warranty.
apparently CPO doesn't cover this job for some reason.
Old 12-03-2018, 04:25 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

I’d push back on that - it should be covered under CPO no problem. I’ll find my paperwork and see if I was already over 50k miles when mine was done - I have CPO also. Pretty much everything should be covered just like the new car warranty.
Old 12-03-2018, 05:00 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

I’d push back on that - it should be covered under CPO no problem. I’ll find my paperwork and see if I was already over 50k miles when mine was done - I have CPO also. Pretty much everything should be covered just like the new car warranty.
That would be great. Thanks!!

They're blaming my issue on the foam under the latch breaking down. I guess a "wear" part like that isn't covered???? Not sure
Old 12-12-2018, 03:37 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

My dealer is assuming me that replacing the Sill Trim (part #958-551-459-01-5R5) will fix the problem. Does this make sense to anyone? I'm only asking because they want to charge me for this part...not covered under CPO for some reason. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2018, 03:52 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

I seem to recall hearing about the foam once before. It would seem that replacing just the foam might be a less expensive approach. Of course, you have to find some of the right density and then cut it to fit.
Old 12-12-2018, 04:35 PM
leftlane
Rennlist Member

Okay I found my paperwork - my symptoms were exactly like yours and I had mine covered under CPO warranty at 53k miles. Here is what the tech put on the work order:

Customer states rear hatch isn't closing all the way at times and will beep
958-618-080-04 Control Unit Lid
Replaced and programmed rear lid control unit. Created val and cleared fault memory. Calibrated rear lid and tested operation multiple time without failure.

There is no mention of foam or trim being the issue. Initially they recalibrated it for me but that did not fix the issue. After replacement (Feb 18) I have had no problems.
The following users liked this post:
Benjamin Cherry (01-28-2020)
Old 12-12-2018, 05:17 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I seem to recall hearing about the foam once before. It would seem that replacing just the foam might be a less expensive approach. Of course, you have to find some of the right density and then cut it to fit.
I guess this part includes new foam too? i can't find that info in the PET.

Okay I found my paperwork - my symptoms were exactly like yours and I had mine covered under CPO warranty at 53k miles. Here is what the tech put on the work order:

Customer states rear hatch isn't closing all the way at times and will beep
958-618-080-04 Control Unit Lid
Replaced and programmed rear lid control unit. Created val and cleared fault memory. Calibrated rear lid and tested operation multiple time without failure.

There is no mention of foam or trim being the issue. Initially they recalibrated it for me but that did not fix the issue. After replacement (Feb 18) I have had no problems.
​​​​​​​thanks.

Quick Reply: Trunk Latching Issue