Sponsored By:

DIY 958 HVAC Blower Motor Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 09:36 PM
brandlj
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
So brandlj - where do you live? I've been wanting to drop out my blower motor to lubricate the bearings in it.. but mine has a wiring harness that runs under it, and I gave up when my back started really hurting. So I'd invite you over for lunch.. since it only takes 10 minutes to R&R, adding my lube time into it - figure 30 minutes max.. I'm in NJ at the shore? You?
Unfortunately I live in NE Louisiana. 1700 miles away? By the way, the passenger seat rails are tough on my old back. I am actually bruised from laying on them. Its tough when you are 61!
Old 10-05-2019, 11:50 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by brandlj
Unfortunately I live in NE Louisiana. 1700 miles away? By the way, the passenger seat rails are tough on my old back. I am actually bruised from laying on them. Its tough when you are 61!
Hey kid - get off my lawn (I can remember 61 - I think.. those were better times by far..)

BTW - OT - I just got the last car in my SIG - and I've had a number of projects I want to do to it, that involve squirming into small spaces or laying on the floor doing "stuff". I have bad arthritis and a bad back (Xray looks like a pretzel) and not happy hips. I'm usually constantly in some sort of skeletal pain... but - when I got working on the car - I surprised myself in what I was able to do without pain. The pain pretty much disappeared until the very end of the project - when I needed to lift myself off the floor (I was there intentionally - reinstalling headlights on the Boxster..) Then ALL the stored up pain hit me like a wave - and slowly disappeared. FWIW - the headlights look MUCH better with LED inserts in them, basically plug and play, no error codes and the pattern on my garage door looks excellent. Anyway - doing something like these sort of projects must block the pain somehow. I'm looking for more of them to do.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:38 AM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by brandlj
I am so glad that I read this post. I ordered my Blower motor from RockAuto for $134.00. It is the exact blower assembly that I have in my 2014 Cayenne S. The sticker under the VDO sticker on it has the VW logo and The Porsche Logo.
I read the instructions here and then I also read a post that stated that you had to replace the middle A/C vent, the right A/C vent and the glovebox. I then decided to look things over and went ahead and signed up for a 1 year AllData DIY membership for $24.95. I am very impressed with the site and I am so glad I did. The pictures and descriptions of the process involved were excellent. You DO NOT have to remove the glovebox. It slides directly out the bottom. It took less than 10 minutes to get the old blower out and about 15 minutes to put the new one in. The screw locations are challenging to an old back and neck like mine, and the seat rails on the front passenger seat kept digging in my back.
Everything went in great, and now I have ALL speeds with my fan motor.
Interesting note. I took apart the old blower assembly to look over the resistor pack. There is a Bosch number on it so it can be replaced separately from the blower motor assembly. BUT it cost $104.00 just for the resistor pack. The $134.00 price from RockAuto for the whole assembly is the way to go.
Can someone explain how different the performance is before and after? I don’t get additional fan speed beyond the 4-5 bar and assume it’s on its way out. Does the replacement now blow much stronger than you had before? Is the new design also improved- where it blasts much more at full strength than the previous working unit? I’m a bit perplexed at how my older Mercedes is so much more powerful than this AC fan motor even two years ago. Thanks!
Old 10-09-2019, 11:40 AM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 289 Posts

The 100% working new part number does not blow any stronger than the 100% working one that came from the factory. If you are not getting ever increasing flow beyond 4 or 5, then most likely the resistor pack is at fault.

Resistor packs modulate the blower speed, which gets a signal from your fan switch on you center console.

To test yours, start the fan speed at one bar (kicks the system out of auto which is good), let it stabilize, then try 2 bars and stabilize. Do this for each step. You should hear and feel a detectable increase at each step.

In my case, I noted that the increases stopped when I went from 4 Bar to 5 Bar. That told me that most likely something in the resistor pack had gone bad. Since the resistor pack, and most likely a circuit board, are all integrated into the blower fan unit, it was time to replace the unit.

After replacing it, I performed the aforementioned test and now had ever increasing flow at each step all the way to max. There is a NOTEABLE difference in flow between 4 and maximum.
The following users liked this post:
Tryfon (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 12:53 PM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by CAVU
The 100% working new part number does not blow any stronger than the 100% working one that came from the factory. If you are not getting ever increasing flow beyond 4 or 5, then most likely the resistor pack is at fault.

Resistor packs modulate the blower speed, which gets a signal from your fan switch on you center console.

To test yours, start the fan speed at one bar (kicks the system out of auto which is good), let it stabilize, then try 2 bars and stabilize. Do this for each step. You should hear and feel a detectable increase at each step.

In my case, I noted that the increases stopped when I went from 4 Bar to 5 Bar. That told me that most likely something in the resistor pack had gone bad. Since the resistor pack, and most likely a circuit board, are all integrated into the blower fan unit, it was time to replace the unit.

After replacing it, I performed the aforementioned test and now had ever increasing flow at each step all the way to max. There is a NOTEABLE difference in flow between 4 and maximum.
Same here, after moving from 3/4 bars total on the LED to the top speed or using AC MAX would shut the system off as soon as it tried to spin the blower up to that speed. I can use auto right now as long as the cabin temp doesn't require it to be on full blast (e.g. a fresh start after being in a parking lot all day) so generally what I've been doing for the past few weeks is just leaving it on manual control when I shut the car off and then when I start it back up and the temp has stabilized for a minute or two, I click the auto button and it adjusts just fine because max speeds are not needed.

I'll be replacing my blower motor next week. Something tells me this is a known problem Porsche is going to end up addressing eventually after we've all paid for the improved part out of pocket.

Has anyone taken apart a broken one after replacement? I would love to see the guts as an IT architect to see where the part failed and if people can prevent them ahead of time so I'll be breaking down my old one next week.
Old 12-01-2019, 05:53 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 289 Posts

For the curious, I tore down the HVAC fan motor assembly (fan motor, module and resistor pack). Enjoy!

The following users liked this post:
DemonBG (11-09-2022)
Old 01-05-2020, 04:44 AM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks everyone on this thread. I replaced mine earlier this week after it was intermittently working in some very cold weather. I ordered mine from Rock Auto and it was even cheaper than the part listed above, around $118. Shipped with taxes came to $140ish. Works flawlessly if someone is concerned the slightly more expensive one used in this thread is not available. Thanks Rennlist!
Old 01-06-2020, 02:46 PM
spyderbret
Rennlist Member

Received 667 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by John Young
Thanks everyone on this thread. I replaced mine earlier this week after it was intermittently working in some very cold weather. I ordered mine from Rock Auto and it was even cheaper than the part listed above, around $118. Shipped with taxes came to $140ish. Works flawlessly if someone is concerned the slightly more expensive one used in this thread is not available. Thanks Rennlist!
Thanks to this thread I just ordered the same part! I tested my fan speed this morning and nothing past the 4 bar.... love this forum.....
Old 11-07-2022, 11:21 PM
conemasher
Track Day

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the detailed DIY. This was spot on. Last week my 2016 base cayenne blower started acting funny. It would either not work at all or stay on regardless of the fan speed adjustment. I followed the instructions here and was able to replace the blower motor and get it working again. A few things to note:
  • Some other DIY posts mention removing the glove compartment. This is NOT necessary. The instructions here are accurate.
  • I had to use a 5.5mm socket to remove the screws. I bought it at Home Depot. The 5/32 socket did not fit.
  • There's a bundle of wires wrapped in a black covering that is difficult to maneuver. There are 2 screws hidden above it.
  • The screws near the edge of the footwell are at risk of dropping into the trim and being lost. I stuffed a small microfiber towel in that space so that when I dropped a screw, the towel would catch it and fall to the ground.
  • I initially bought a replacement blower from Amazon ($90) because it got good reviews but the air flow was noticeably weaker and I think louder. I returned it and bought the VDO/Continental one from Rock Auto ($157.55 delivered) that behaves just like OEM.
  • Take your time fitting the blower back into the compartment. It took me a few tries to get it back in there correctly and for the screws to line up properly. Same thing with the cover.

Quick Reply: DIY 958 HVAC Blower Motor Replacement