Sponsored By:

Seat Ventilation and heat stopped working

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019, 12:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,895 Likes on 1,717 Posts
Default Seat Ventilation and heat stopped working

Once again, my seat ventilation and heat is out on the driver's side. Happened back in 2017 and Dealer fixed with a new seat frame. Wondering how long that CPO warranty fix is covered? Also wonder if anyone has a DIY fix for it.

Push the button and it illuminates for about a second then goes out. Driver's side only. Passenger side stays on. That negates ambient air temp override feature.
Old 09-08-2019, 12:54 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,149 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Once again, my seat ventilation and heat is out on the driver's side. Happened back in 2017 and Dealer fixed with a new seat frame. Wondering how long that CPO warranty fix is covered? Also wonder if anyone has a DIY fix for it.
Unfortunately - the CPO warranty fix ends with the CPO.. one of those little things Porsche likes to do. I've never seen a DIY for this - it seems very rare, so we're hoping as you track it down you're taking lots of pics and notes..

Push the button and it illuminates for about a second then goes out. Driver's side only. Passenger side stays on. That negates ambient air temp override feature.
I'd love to watch the control unit for the heat/vent with an iCarScan.. look at the real time output and see what's going on. I wonder if there might be a stored code?

BTW - when getting out of a 987 Cayman that one just ran an iCarScan on (at a used car dealers), and you have to pull yourself out on a slippery mat on the showroom floor, when done doing these gymnastics - make sure you check that your cell phone is in your pocket before leaving (duh.) This is going to end up being another 3 hour round trip on Monday morning (WMD located it, not only at the dealership, but in the part of the showroom that has the car I was looking at..)
Old 09-08-2019, 11:02 AM
jjdepalma
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

if the light is coming on for a second and then going out, its the seat sensor...about $550 to have the dealership replace. Had this done about 6 months ago
Old 09-08-2019, 11:46 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Unfortunately - the CPO warranty fix ends with the CPO.. one of those little things Porsche likes to do. I've never seen a DIY for this - it seems very rare, so we're hoping as you track it down you're taking lots of pics and notes..

I'd love to watch the control unit for the heat/vent with an iCarScan.. look at the real time output and see what's going on. I wonder if there might be a stored code?

BTW - when getting out of a 987 Cayman that one just ran an iCarScan on (at a used car dealers), and you have to pull yourself out on a slippery mat on the showroom floor, when done doing these gymnastics - make sure you check that your cell phone is in your pocket before leaving (duh.) This is going to end up being another 3 hour round trip on Monday morning (WMD located it, not only at the dealership, but in the part of the showroom that has the car I was looking at..)
Oh man, sorry to her about the phone drop. That's a drag.

DOn, if I have one day left on CPO, they fix something on the car. Two days later that fix breaks again. Is there no recourse? Seems like there should be like a 12 month warranty, or something on fixed parts.

s
Old 09-08-2019, 03:21 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jjdepalma
if the light is coming on for a second and then going out, its the seat sensor...about $550 to have the dealership replace. Had this done about 6 months ago
I have this issue intermittently as well. About 25% of the time. iCarScan says it’s a short in the seat temp sensor. A $550 dealer fix feels like something we could do pretty handily. Anyone have any idea how to acquire said sensor and how to access it?

Ken
Old 09-08-2019, 05:31 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Oh man, sorry to her about the phone drop. That's a drag.
Mebbe I'll test drive the Cayman while I'm there. I made the mistake yesterday in taking an old (even older than me) friend along to keep him amused. I should have remembered he has the attention span of my granddaughter who is 5 months old. And when he gets bored in this sort of situation he lets everyone know he's bored. So I really didn't get to see what I wanted to, and didn't want to stick around for them to get the Cayman out of the middle of the showroom so I could test drive it. Maybe tomorrow...

DOn, if I have one day left on CPO, they fix something on the car. Two days later that fix breaks again. Is there no recourse? Seems like there should be like a 12 month warranty, or something on fixed parts.

s
In a reasonable world that would be true - but we're talking Porsche world. Somewhere I saw a document on CPO explaining how it worked - but yeah - if it was fixed yesterday and CPO ended today, and the fixed item fails tomorrow, guess whose problem that now is? Can't hurt to bitch at Porsche Cars North America, but doubt if they'll do much.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. G7 (06-20-2020)
Old 09-08-2019, 06:12 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by kvec
I have this issue intermittently as well. About 25% of the time. iCarScan says it’s a short in the seat temp sensor. A $550 dealer fix feels like something we could do pretty handily. Anyone have any idea how to acquire said sensor and how to access it?

Ken
Probably:

1. Subscribe to ALLDataDIY - and see if they have a writeup on replacing the sensor.
2. Look in a Porsche parts listing. There is a free version of the 958 parts catalog in PDF format available from Porsche. I find that useful to look things like this up.

My WAG - the sensor costs around $40-50 from Porsche, $5 from Volkswagen and $3 aftermarket. The rest is labor. Sounds about right - $500 labor.
Old 09-09-2019, 01:54 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I'll keep you guys posted. Gonna look into it this week as I have a few days off.
The following users liked this post:
kvec (09-09-2019)
Old 10-21-2019, 04:50 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

what was notable here is they replaced the whole seat frame

pretty sure my seat ventilation is out in my drivers side, my passenger side seems super weak?
the seat heaters work

my CD is under CPO until JAN 2020, so I’ll get this sorted soon.
I am curious what they do here. I understand whatever they do sounds like warranty might be only good until the end of my CPO

this ride is new for me but sounds like I’m in for a bit of a ride.
when they replace parts under CPO, can I still see the old ones? I’ll take some pictures.
Old 10-21-2019, 11:09 AM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Mebbe I'll test drive the Cayman while I'm there. I made the mistake yesterday in taking an old (even older than me) friend along to keep him amused. I should have remembered he has the attention span of my granddaughter who is 5 months old. And when he gets bored in this sort of situation he lets everyone know he's bored. So I really didn't get to see what I wanted to, and didn't want to stick around for them to get the Cayman out of the middle of the showroom so I could test drive it. Maybe tomorrow...
Not to hijack this thread....but......considering a Cayman Don? I've looked at and driven a couple myself in recent months (718 and previous gen). Great vehicles, even the base car (718). I think I'd go 718 myself. The turbos do a lot for the broader powerband (if not the sound, although the exhaust note's not nearly as bad as many say). If I went previous gen it would be an S or GTS.
Old 11-03-2019, 07:09 PM
kvec
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

@RAudi Driver did you learn anything? Eventually I’ll end up getting to this one, but if Don’s suspicion is correct and the sensor really is cheap and the fix is <1 day to do it’ll rise quickly through the priority list with winter coming...
Old 11-07-2019, 11:41 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Removing and installing suction fan for seat surface
Component information

Installation position of suction fan for seat surface
Preliminary work
  1. Remove padding for front seat.
Removing suction fan for seat surface
  1. Remove expansion rivet -1- .

Expansion rivet
  1. Unplug electric plug connection -arrows- for suction fan.

Unplugging connector for suction fan
  1. Unclip the suction fan together with the bracket and remove it by pulling it upwards.

Removing suction fan

Installing suction fan for seat surface

Information
Replace expansion rivets and fixing clips during installation and do not re-use them.
  1. Position suction fan together with the bracket on the seat surface.
  2. Clip in the bracket and secure the suction fan on the seat surface with an expansion rivet -1- .

Expansion rivet
  1. Plug in electric plug connection -arrows- for suction fan.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:26 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kvec
@RAudi Driver did you learn anything? Eventually I’ll end up getting to this one, but if Don’s suspicion is correct and the sensor really is cheap and the fix is <1 day to do it’ll rise quickly through the priority list with winter coming...

Been stuck with work so have not had a chance to dig into the issue. Hopefully next week.
Old 11-09-2019, 12:29 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by coffeeisgood
Removing and installing suction fan for seat surface
Component information

Installation position of suction fan for seat surface
Preliminary work
  1. Remove padding for front seat.
Removing suction fan for seat surface
  1. Remove expansion rivet -1- .

Expansion rivet
  1. Unplug electric plug connection -arrows- for suction fan.

Unplugging connector for suction fan
  1. Unclip the suction fan together with the bracket and remove it by pulling it upwards.

Removing suction fan

Installing suction fan for seat surface

Information
Replace expansion rivets and fixing clips during installation and do not re-use them.
  1. Position suction fan together with the bracket on the seat surface.
  2. Clip in the bracket and secure the suction fan on the seat surface with an expansion rivet -1- .

Expansion rivet
  1. Plug in electric plug connection -arrows- for suction fan.

Just a heads up, you can't cut and paste anything from AllData as it doesn't work that way. The viewer will be getting random pages from All Data and not the material the poster intending the viewer to read.
Old 11-13-2019, 10:52 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Just a heads up, you can't cut and paste anything from AllData as it doesn't work that way. The viewer will be getting random pages from All Data and not the material the poster intending the viewer to read.
I just noticed that. Odd but whatever... its just another step, screenshot then paste
I am not sure AllData is the answer for a real DIY manual, there must be something better.
I only subscribed for one year and honesty was not impressed.

Quick Reply: Seat Ventilation and heat stopped working