Sponsored By:

Fuel Gauge Fault

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 10:31 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Received 131 Likes on 84 Posts
Default Fuel Gauge Fault

My 2013 Cayenne GTS has started throwing a "Fuel Gauge Fault" warning intermittently. It usually clears after a few minutes, but seems to be happening more frequently. I've used my OBD reader, and don't see a fault code, but when I checked the "Fuel Gauge Fault" was not showing on the dash. I don't think this is related to the recall as the fuel level seems to be reading correctly, mine was not part of the recall as far as I know, and from what I could tell on various posts here, that particular issue impacted an accurate fuel level reading.

Anyone experience this or have an idea what the issue could be? Maybe a bad electrical connection?
Old 08-08-2019, 01:03 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,145 Likes on 760 Posts

If you poke around a bit - you'll find a thread that talks about this. Mine does the same thing, at very intermittent times - usually 6 months or more between the dash warnings. If I read the fuel level ECU (rear body module mebbe?) - it almost always has a stored code replaced the fuel level sensor.

The light seems to go away - sometimes just stopping and restarting will do it. It's not a big enough problem for me that I feel the need to do anything about it.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:53 PM
jjdepalma
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I've had the same thing for a year on my 2011 CTT. There's 2 sensors in the tank. Indy shop here in Austin quoted $900 to replace. Apparently, they have to remove the gas tank. Not a big enough problem to spend the time or $$. The dealership did say, when it goes out for good, the fault will stay on, so that will be the point I probably fix it.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Adding a dose of Techron won't hurt and may help. That was BMW's fix for ones in the Z3 that corroded in the tank. Apparently, the Techron made the corrosion go away.
The following users liked this post:
auzivision (09-10-2019)
Old 08-08-2019, 03:51 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Thanks all for the input. I'll just live with it until it won't turn off. Vehicle has 99,000 miles, and with the exception of the transfer case, this is the first issue I've had.
Old 08-08-2019, 04:58 PM
13CayenneTT
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had the same issue on my 2013 Turbo. Dealer replaced both fuel level sensors inside the fuel tank. Covered by CPO warranty.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:15 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Just thought I'd provide an update in case anyone else is following this thread and having the same problem. The issue has progressed from just a "Fuel Gauge Fault" light, with gauge correctly reading the fuel level, to wildly varying levels of fuel level. You can literally sit and watch the fuel gauge swing from zero to 3/4 full. I'm way out of warranty, so looks like I'll either have to bite the bullet at the dealership, or tackle the fuel level sensors myself. Don't look forward to doing that in the current Texas heat.
Old 08-12-2019, 12:44 PM
13CayenneTT
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’d be careful about going inside the fuel tank as a DIY. Besides the obvious hazards of flammable fumes, you would have to disconnect the battery and probably recalibrate the fuel gauge.
Old 08-12-2019, 10:21 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by GTorTT
Just thought I'd provide an update in case anyone else is following this thread and having the same problem. The issue has progressed from just a "Fuel Gauge Fault" light, with gauge correctly reading the fuel level, to wildly varying levels of fuel level. You can literally sit and watch the fuel gauge swing from zero to 3/4 full. I'm way out of warranty, so looks like I'll either have to bite the bullet at the dealership, or tackle the fuel level sensors myself. Don't look forward to doing that in the current Texas heat.
Did you try the Techron?
Old 08-13-2019, 10:15 AM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

I am going to try Techron. Is there a specific Techron product you suggest. I see there is a Techron "complete fuel system cleaner". Just one treatment, or several?

Thanks,
Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Techron installed! Fingers crossed.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

I am going to try Techron. Is there a specific Techron product you suggest. I see there is a Techron "complete fuel system cleaner". Just one treatment, or several?

Thanks,
That should work. Try one - if that helps good. If not you can always toss in another bottle.
Old 08-16-2019, 03:57 PM
GTorTT
Burning Brakes

Well, so far so good. Thanks Deilenberger. No fault so far after the Techron treatment. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days. Now considering Techron treatment on my other vehicles as a preventative measure.
The following 2 users liked this post by GTorTT:
deilenberger (08-16-2019), JohnsonAV (08-17-2019)
Old 08-16-2019, 08:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Well, so far so good. Thanks Deilenberger. No fault so far after the Techron treatment. Will keep an eye on it over the next few days. Now considering Techron treatment on my other vehicles as a preventative measure.
Glad to hear it. I've got a bottle or two of Techron in the garage I should toss in the CTT I guess..
Old 08-16-2019, 10:07 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 344 Likes on 240 Posts

That is great news. I rarely have luck with simple fixes like this. If it was my car I would have to drop the tank, break the fuel line nipple, drop my screwdriver in the tank, up to my elbows in fuel, get a phone call, bang my head getting to my phone, then have to order a new $3600 tank and then wait three months for it to ship from Germany.

Quick Reply: Fuel Gauge Fault