Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What do you do to keep up the exterior?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 07:37 PM
JohnsonAV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do you do to keep up the exterior?

Looking at what products, maintenance frequency people use for cleaning maintaining their rides. Anything beyond regular car washes? Protective coatings? Waxing frequency?

Thanks!
Old 08-01-2019, 08:36 PM
Mark7000
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I bought a black one - despite my own paranoia against a black vehicle. I will not do it again. I hate seeing the dust and various particles so visible on it. But I love the look when it has been cleaned less than 10 minutes before. It doesn't last longer than that. I use water and a soft cloth followed by drying with micro fiber towels. I then use a quick spray wax that gets wiped right off. This is happening about 3x-4x a week. In between washings, I use the air compressor and blow off most of the dust, even though it has been in the garage. It is killing me.
The following users liked this post:
SoundsoftheSuburbs (12-24-2019)
Old 08-01-2019, 08:56 PM
onehot
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Clay bar after washes. Cayenne attracts more debris than most cars. Seasonal polishing helps a lot also.
Old 08-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,448 Likes on 837 Posts

I think i've washed it once, maybe twice...
Old 08-02-2019, 09:42 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts

I used to hand wash my vehicles but now just go through a local newer machine wash place where they towel dry with MF towels. Then, when I get home I apply any spray detailer product that keeps the finish slick. Currently using Sonax but I switch often. Apply hand wax/sealer at least once a year. Clay as needed but if I keep using the spray detailer after each wash, not much sticks to the finish.
Old 08-02-2019, 03:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

I also have a black Porsche, this is my second black one in fact. I agree it can be a frustrating color when it come to cleanliness, but looks sooooo good.

After years (decades actually) of using virtually every wax/polish/etc. under the sun, reasonable to way expensive, and some involving hours of multi-step processes, I've fairly recently found a product that works very well and I'm completely satisfied with. It's called Ultima Paint Guard Plus, and I got mine from Suncoast... https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/100.html

You can Google it online to read several reviews from many sources. It's very easy (and quick) to apply, and I get excellent results. In fact I've started using it on all of our vehicles. In between washes if I need a quick cleanup of bug splatter or whatever, I carry a bottle of Meguire's Ultimate spray detailer along with some clean microfiber rags. This does it for me, very satisfied! These modern clearcoat finishes really need nothing more.
The following users liked this post:
JohnsonAV (08-02-2019)
Old 08-02-2019, 04:20 PM
cbakking
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ceramic coating!!! is way to go
Old 08-02-2019, 04:46 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 163 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by cbakking
Ceramic coating!!! is way to go
Sure, if cost is not a consideration, great stuff. But for far less, you can acquire modern non-ceramic products that are similarly effective.

The other thing to bear in mind is that none of these 'coatings', ceramic or otherwise, are magic defenses. Even though they're generally more effective protection when compared to most conventional products, they can still be thwarted.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:23 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would recommend a paint correction or do it your self clay bar, polish, and wax. After that utilize Aerolon Tech Shine and you are good to go. I've used this on boats, trailers, motorcycles, and my vehicles. Great stuff and super easy to apply. Watch the videos and 2 to 3 OZ is plenty. Highly recommended.
Folks compliment my exterior frequently. It really makes the black shine. Meguiar's black wax also recommended for black vehicles.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:51 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts

Subscribed.... I have a black CTT also. I knew going in that black was going to suck to keep looking nice. And I was right. The first 24 after a detail it looks awesome. I did get a California duster and that helps between washes. But if I miss a day or two between dusting or mist and wipe dry washing it's all down hill.
Old 08-03-2019, 04:53 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 356 Likes on 248 Posts

My wife says our towels for the cayenne are nicer than the bathroom towels. Lol
Old 08-03-2019, 10:59 PM
JohnsonAV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Anyone have experience with clear bras or clear urethane film coatings? I've heard the newer stuff is much better than the stuff from a few years back. I have no idea what the average cost on an install runs either if anyone can comment.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:24 PM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Subscribed.... I have a black CTT also. I knew going in that black was going to suck to keep looking nice. And I was right. The first 24 after a detail it looks awesome. I did get a California duster and that helps between washes. But if I miss a day or two between dusting or mist and wipe dry washing it's all down hill.
the California duster is just a dry wipe right?
doesn't this just leave behind light scratches?
IMHO some type of lube would go a long way to preventing that.
I am just not a fan of California dusters...

anyway
i wanted black & I got it... its a labor of love to keep it shinny and im working thru a couple minor issues right now but that is part of my joy owning this ride

Dewalt has a new 5" inch cordless variable speed random orbit polisher, (mid/late December 2019 shipping)
WARNING: it is NOT cheap ($250 range / tool only, no battery) but this might be a game changer (this "cordless" model is actually cheaper then like Flex or others, it will be interesting to see if/when Milwaukee responds

DCM848B 20V MAX* XR® 5 IN. CORDLESS VARIABLE-SPEED RANDOM ORBIT POLISHER (TOOL ONLY)

https://www.dewalt.com/products/powe...l-only/dcm848b

I know our clear coat is pretty thin and our paint is soft but this tool still should be pretty nice
(there is a 7" inch model is good for the hood but IMHO the 5" inch model is best for the rest of the Cayenne)
Old 12-13-2019, 03:09 PM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Chemical Guys - 121k now from 40k when I bought it and I still walk away from the car going ahhhhhh. I'm thoroughly convinced there's a self-healing aspect of the clear coat because I've noticed some of the minor scratches I get between washes seem to disappear after sitting outside at work.

Former Meguiar lover here. Nothing wrong with them. Chemical Guys just has a wider selection of chemicals I need personally to detail exotics.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:38 PM
drdantheman1
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 120 Posts

Our CS is white, so it tends to hide imperfections better. Routine 2 bucket wash with microfiber wash mitt and Carpro reset. I am a HUGE fan of Carpro products. After a wash, I use a Carpro reload, which is very high in silica content, and it provides a smooth non-stick surface for months.

On my black mercedes, had very visible swirl marks when I bought it. Found a great local detailer (any in WPB area, look up squeaky pete's detailing) and had car paint corrected, xpel plus on entire front end, and ceramic coated on top. I do the two bucket method to keep it looking good and 2 years later, black paint with ceramic coating looks fantastic.

Cost wise, the PPF was about $1500 for entire front end with newest XPEL stuff and around $1200 for paint correction with ceramic coating. Probably more expensive than others, but with detailers, you really pay for quality. My black mercedes paint was also in pretty bad shape at first.

Quick Reply: What do you do to keep up the exterior?