Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

What do you do to keep up the exterior?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2019, 08:07 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 350 Likes on 244 Posts

I'm glad this topic came back up. I just bought a porter cable 7424xp. Our cayenne is by far the nicest car we have ever owned. And of course it is black. I bought a few lake country orange, white, and black pads. Maguires 105 and 205. I have never polished a car and I am pretty nervous about the job. I was going to practice one of the 914's just to get the feel for it. Not sure if the 914 will be a good practice piece being single stage paint.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:31 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

I use a synthetic clay bar once a year (maybe twice if the surface needs it). I then polish the car with an orbital and a polish from Gyeon. I have used Gyeon's ceramic coating, but it is somewhat difficult to apply. I swtiched back to GTecnhiq C1 and C2. I let the vehicle sit in the garage for a few hours and then go over it with Gyon Cure. I try to wash the car every second weekend, and after each wash I do go over it with a synthetic cloth and Gyeon Cure. I reapply the GTechniq every four to six months. Cure is also applied to any black plastic on the outside and does an amazing job.

I always dry the car with high end synthetic microfiber cloths. I wash with a natural sea sponge that I buy from Zymol. The wheels get cleaned with Gyeon Iron, which is the best wheel cleaner I have ever used. Spray on, let sit, it turns purple, pressure washer and spray it off.....wheels are clean. I don't have to scrub, brush, etc. Sometimes, I only clean the wheels, because the rest of the car looks clean, but the brake dust makes the entire car look dirty.

I might get mu car "paint corrected" and professionally ceramic coated at some point, but I believe there is a little hype in all of that. Corrected is just properly polished. I would like a professional grade of cr=eramic coating on the paint, and I do believe that the application is not easy.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:18 PM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 160 Likes on 79 Posts

The front of both cayennes are covered with Xpel. My wifes’14 has 100,000 miles and we replaced the Xpel on the hood and front bumper this summer. The old was well scratched from rocks . The Xpel came off easily the paint underneath was in excellent shape.
my upkeep process:
cars are washed weekly or when dirty. Every three to four months they are clayed and waxed. Xpel surfaces are cleaned with their cleaner and then sealed with their sealer. Leather is treated with Zymol leather conditioner every six months. Steering wheels more often. Venal and plastic surfaces inside and out treated with 303 aerospace protectant . Engine compartment cleaned every 6 months . Porsche all weather mats used all the time on the floors. By the way the cars are silver and still look great ..... love those deisels
Old 12-15-2019, 10:06 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

For the interior, check out the Gyeon leather cleaner and coating. As they explained it to me, leather in cars today has a clearcoat. Leather gets that shiny look from dirt and body oils. Their cleaner, which you spray on a microfiber cloth and then wipe, removes all of that oil and dirt. It works. The areas on my steering wheel that tend to look shiny from where my hands are, becomes like new again. Then I spray their coating onto a microfiber cloth, wipe it on, and let cure for 12 hours.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:38 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

For the exterior I used predominately Zaino products but, I’ve recently switched to mostly chemical guys stuff with several of their detail garages opening up in my area. I’m not sure one is significantly better than the other performance wise but, having a local store is a nice convenience for both product and knowledge.

I use my electric pressure washer to get most of the debris off and the two bucket wash method. I use CG hydrosuds with a microfiber mitt. I will use a nanoskin sponge as clay substitute as needed. I use cg diablo wheel cleaner or P21s gel wheel cleaner with a Daytona speed master brush. I dry with a microfiber towel and hit it with CG V07 detailer.

It’s a black vehicle so 2-3 times a year I’ll hit it with CG VSS and black light or zaino aio and my cyclo polisher. I’ll finish with CG hydrocharge ceramic coat. I thought about going with the higher end ceramic coats but, for as easy as hydrocharge is to apply and as economical as it is I don’t mind doing it twice a year.

I use Zaino tire dressing, CG wax remover and silk shine on the exterior trim. About every three months I’ll use the Zaino glass polish on the windshield to get the tree fallout and what not off the glass.
The following users liked this post:
coffeeisgood (12-17-2019)
Old 12-17-2019, 11:16 AM
coffeeisgood
Pro

Received 96 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by hotrod2448
For the exterior I used predominately Zaino products but, I’ve recently switched to mostly chemical guys stuff with several of their detail garages opening up in my area. I’m not sure one is significantly better than the other performance wise but, having a local store is a nice convenience for both product and knowledge.

I use my electric pressure washer to get most of the debris off and the two bucket wash method. I use CG hydrosuds with a microfiber mitt. I will use a nanoskin sponge as clay substitute as needed. I use cg diablo wheel cleaner or P21s gel wheel cleaner with a Daytona speed master brush. I dry with a microfiber towel and hit it with CG V07 detailer.

It’s a black vehicle so 2-3 times a year I’ll hit it with CG VSS and black light or zaino aio and my cyclo polisher. I’ll finish with CG hydrocharge ceramic coat. I thought about going with the higher end ceramic coats but, for as easy as hydrocharge is to apply and as economical as it is I don’t mind doing it twice a year.

I use Zaino tire dressing, CG wax remover and silk shine on the exterior trim. About every three months I’ll use the Zaino glass polish on the windshield to get the tree fallout and what not off the glass.
it takes some special attention to keep black looking good but if you are willing to put in the time & $$$, IMHO it is very worth the reward

I find myself watching this youtube channel often,
Ammo NYC
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYs...TkoxI5D17s1u-w

while I do not use any of his products, the knowledge he shares and how he delivers it is excellent

it helps that my Cayenne was a garage queen but the previous owner did not put a clear bra on, so she has a few small rock chips (you need to look close)
I am attempting to do some of the paint correction / repair myself. Seriously I believe this is part of the fun of owning a Porsche Cayenne (not everyone would think so but I really enjoy my Sunday afternoons working on her). My neighbors comment that she always is very shiny and clean but I see all the small imperfections and I am always working on something. I take my time and are very conservative to any correction. It has been a fun learning experience so far....

Old 12-17-2019, 03:00 PM
chrisdavis18
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '17 in Jet Black Metallic. Ceramic coating was the best decision I've made (and it doesn't hurt when you have a friend who owns a detail shop for a huge discount). I've had the ceramic coating for about 4 months now, and it makes washing is 10x easier. As far as routine washing, I try to hand-wash once a week / 2 weeks. Most of the stuff I use is from Griot's Garage, but I've heard good things about The Chemical Guys as a few people have already mentioned.
Old 12-22-2019, 10:32 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,975 Likes on 1,763 Posts

There is a chemical guy store in my town. Tried their stuff. Not a fan of any of their products.
Old 12-24-2019, 10:16 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 56 Posts

I have been using Chemical Guys products for years. They are on Amazon. Put it in your wishlist and wait for a message telling you about a coupon or Lightning Deal. As far as the clear bras - they have gotten better. My RAV has a it installed by dealer. No yellowing after 4 years. Dealer quoted my $2200 for the full kit installed. Local ClearBra dealer sent this quote

Partial nose kit (leading edge of the hood, fenders, mirrors, and full front bumper) runs $775 parts and labor.

Full front clip (full hood, full fenders, mirrors, and full front bumper) runs $1,350 parts and labor.

Don't know what the labor rate is here in StL MO. IIRC the dealer told me that their kit included door panels as well as the above.

Quick Reply: What do you do to keep up the exterior?