Sponsored By:

Intermittent error

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2019, 10:48 PM
JohnsonAV
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Intermittent error

Hey guys! I just bought a 2011 hybrid s. I've only had it one day and this error keeps popping up randomly. Sometimes it will be there and then I go restart the car and it gone. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

also, the yellow portion on the fuel gauge close to zero flashes when this happens.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:55 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

It's a fuel gauge fault. Mine does that about every 20,000 miles - once - and then not again. Shutting down and restarting seems to clear it. There is a fault code stored for it in the ECU. If yours does this repeatedly I think it needs to be looked at. AFAIK the hybrid has two fuel level sensors in the tank - explaining how it can show half-full and a yellow warning light. I believe these are old-fashioned resistive elements with floats on them. A dose of Techron fuel injection cleaner might help - it does on BMW cars that use the same kind of float and get deposits on the resistive element in their sensor.

BTW: Welcome to the Cayenne forum.

One suggestion when you're posting messages here asking for help or info - it will help get you better responses if you include that you're asking about the hybrid Cayenne. It's a rather rare and unique vehicle, so you want to attract the other hybrid owners to your threads. Much about the hybrid driveline is obviously unique to the vehicle, so you want people with hands-on experience with it. You can get that by including model and perhaps year in the thread title.
Old 07-29-2019, 09:37 AM
JohnsonAV
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
It's a fuel gauge fault. Mine does that about every 20,000 miles - once - and then not again. Shutting down and restarting seems to clear it. There is a fault code stored for it in the ECU. If yours does this repeatedly I think it needs to be looked at. AFAIK the hybrid has two fuel level sensors in the tank - explaining how it can show half-full and a yellow warning light. I believe these are old-fashioned resistive elements with floats on them. A dose of Techron fuel injection cleaner might help - it does on BMW cars that use the same kind of float and get deposits on the resistive element in their sensor.

BTW: Welcome to the Cayenne forum.

One suggestion when you're posting messages here asking for help or info - it will help get you better responses if you include that you're asking about the hybrid Cayenne. It's a rather rare and unique vehicle, so you want to attract the other hybrid owners to your threads. Much about the hybrid driveline is obviously unique to the vehicle, so you want people with hands-on experience with it. You can get that by including model and perhaps year in the thread title.
Thanks! This is very helpful and I'll remember to include my model/year in the title next time.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:20 AM
JohnsonAV
Advanced

Thanks deilenberger! This helps a lot. And I'll remember to add my model/year in the post title next time.

Quick Reply: Intermittent error