AC only works when moving

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 11:55 AM
Konrad KP
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default AC only works when moving

Hey guys,
I've got a strange issue. The AC in our 958 works, but only blows cold when we're driving. If we stand still, it blows but is no longer cold. The car was hit in the front in the past, so everything is possible.
Any ideas? I can't find a specific fuse for the AC fan (if there even is a separate one?).
Old 06-29-2019, 02:38 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Your AC condensor fan probably isn't working. So the condensor overheats when you're stationary and the system shuts off the compressor to prevent damage. It's the BIG fan. And there is a fuse for it - might be in the fuse-block above the battery. FWIW - that fan should be running whenever the AC is on.
Old 06-29-2019, 07:19 PM
Konrad KP
AutoX

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Your AC condensor fan probably isn't working. So the condensor overheats when you're stationary and the system shuts off the compressor to prevent damage. It's the BIG fan. And there is a fuse for it - might be in the fuse-block above the battery. FWIW - that fan should be running whenever the AC is on.
That was what i was thinking, something wiht the AC fan. Do you know where it's located? I assume under the front bumper? Is it separate from the radiator fan?
The following users liked this post:
Dsandler (06-30-2019)
Old 06-29-2019, 07:39 PM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

I had the same problem with my college beater. It was “260 air.” Two windows down, sixty miles an hour.

Wouldn’t hurt to open the hood and have someone turn on/off AC to see if compressor clutch can be heard engaging. I would recommend doing that while vehicle stationary. Dellenberger’s probably right though.
Old 06-29-2019, 09:22 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Just went through AllData - the 958 has a single fan used for engine cooling and HVAC use. I suspect it runs sooner when the HVAC is used. Do make sure it turns on when the HVAC is turned on.

This is a situation where it would be useful to have a decent diagnostics tool that can connect to the HVAC controller. I know iCarScan can read system pressures at several points in the system. If the amount of gas in the system was low - it might cause no AC when the vehicle is stationary and RPM is low.
Macaero (09-22-2020)
Old 06-30-2019, 05:35 AM
Konrad KP
AutoX

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just went through AllData - the 958 has a single fan used for engine cooling and HVAC use. I suspect it runs sooner when the HVAC is used. Do make sure it turns on when the HVAC is turned on.

This is a situation where it would be useful to have a decent diagnostics tool that can connect to the HVAC controller. I know iCarScan can read system pressures at several points in the system. If the amount of gas in the system was low - it might cause no AC when the vehicle is stationary and RPM is low.
That is very useful info, thanks. The system isn't low on gas, it was recharged last summer and even then it didn't work. I'm actually selling the car, but wanted it to fix this before doing so. The wierd thing is, the car isn't overheating or anything - seems like it woudl do that if the engine fan was dead?
Do you know of any resource I could use to look up the correct part number for the engine fan I need based on VIN? I ask due to the accident I mentioned - I can see the part number on the fan body but I have to assume the possibility that the wrong fan may have been used.

Last edited by Konrad KP; 06-30-2019 at 06:23 AM.
Old 07-02-2019, 10:11 AM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

For sure the fan has (at least) 2 speeds.. When the engine is running with the A/C on, you can feel a breeze with the hood up and see the fan spinning. When you use the "Max A/C" button, the fan goes into high speed and even with the hood shut, it's clearly audible.

Are you getting both speeds?

(I suppose given Porsche's over-engineering of everything else that the fan could be PWM controlled and actually be variable with numerous speeds, but I've noticed 2 speeds thus far.)
Old 07-02-2019, 10:43 AM
Konrad KP
AutoX

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
For sure the fan has (at least) 2 speeds.. When the engine is running with the A/C on, you can feel a breeze with the hood up and see the fan spinning. When you use the "Max A/C" button, the fan goes into high speed and even with the hood shut, it's clearly audible.

Are you getting both speeds?

(I suppose given Porsche's over-engineering of everything else that the fan could be PWM controlled and actually be variable with numerous speeds, but I've noticed 2 speeds thus far.)
I'm getting zero speeds actually, the fan doesn't work at all. I've ordered a new one, hopefully that does it.
deilenberger (07-02-2019)
Old 07-02-2019, 01:55 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Konrad KP
I'm getting zero speeds actually, the fan doesn't work at all. I've ordered a new one, hopefully that does it.
Damn nice of you to fix things before selling. Some people just sell and say it all works. then surprises come creeping out.
Old 07-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Konrad KP
AutoX

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
Damn nice of you to fix things before selling. Some people just sell and say it all works. then surprises come creeping out.
Yeah, I don't like doing that. Besides that, the AC not working in a black car in 40c heat is fairly evident to any potential buyer
Old 07-02-2019, 02:29 PM
hotrod2448
Pro

Received 111 Likes on 85 Posts

I'm surprised it isn't overheating also given that the fan does double duty and is not working. You may want to check that there is power to the fan, did you ever locate the fuse for it?
Old 07-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Konrad KP
AutoX

The fuse is fine, dunno how to check the power - I guess measure current on the 2 big prongs?
Old 07-02-2019, 03:53 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Konrad KP
The fuse is fine, dunno how to check the power - I guess measure current on the 2 big prongs?
Voltage, actually.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:26 AM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 174 Likes on 138 Posts

You sure its not just a matter of refilling freon?
Old 07-07-2019, 04:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by F SANE IL
You sure its not just a matter of refilling freon?
I guess you didn't read where he said "The system isn't low on gas, it was recharged last summer and even then it didn't work."?? Or where he found the fan NEVER runs? The gas (which is no longer freon) wouldn't suddenly fill up all by itself when the Cayenne was at speed..

Quick Reply: AC only works when moving