Sponsored By:

What am I looking at?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 04:26 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What am I looking at?

Sorry for the open ended title, and open ended thread here. I fully expect the answer to be "there is no way to know", but I'm hoping that maybe there is. :P

Part 1: I've had my 2012 Base for a while now. Long enough for the warranty to expire and for me to happily roll past 100K miles. And it's been nothing but rock solid this entire time, minus a starter issue (it cranks 3-4 seconds before turning over) that I was told by my local Porsche shop that they can't fully diagnose until it dies entirely - just deal with it. But yesterday it did not turn over after 4-5 seconds so I let it go and tried again - at which point it started right up immediately. Then today the check engine light came on. (I didn't actually see it come on, I just noticed it while driving down the road.) However, everything seems fine. No noises, no tranny issues, no recent gas station stops - in fact without the light I wouldn't have a clue there was a problem. Could these be related? Is it likely? Any thoughts on what else it could be?

Part 2: I'm also due for an oil change. Just hit the 10,000 mile mark last week and the past three days I got the nag screen on start-up. Any remote chance at all this is also related?

Part 3: Completely unrelated to the first two, I've had some water leaking into the passenger foot-well. I've seen posts on this here before on how to check/fix it yourself, but those seem to include jacking up both sides of the front end so the car stays level and I don't have the capacity to do that.

So... Summary for those who don't feel like reading. Any idea what the engine light could be if it is not related to the oil change or starter? And how much should I expect the entire service cost to be if I take care of all of these at once? (Long shot, I know! :P)

Thanks guys!

Old 04-03-2019, 04:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

check engine not related to oil change and very likely not related to starter, unless you are seeing a crank position sensor or similar.

I would use a cheap obd scanner or have your codes read for free at autozone prior to going to a dealer. This way at least you know what the code is. Could be a minor issue that the car is running fine, but the dealer will absolutely rake you over the coals.

As for your cost estimate, its impossible to give you a number without knowing the codes.
Old 04-03-2019, 04:40 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
I would use a cheap obd scanner or have your codes read for free at autozone prior to going to a dealer.
I don't know why I had it in my head that Autozone wouldn't have the proper scanner. Thanks. Definitely stopping there tonight.

And, yea, I pretty much expect it to be impossible for anyone to have any reasonable estimate for all the work, but maybe if I just refine it down to this:

How much would be reasonable to fix the leak into the compartment if those drains are clogged?

How much would be reasonable for a starter repair/replace?

I know that it's going to cost whatever it does, and I know I'm gonna suck it up and pay it regardless. But I'd just like to have a ballpark so I feel I have a better understanding of how much these things should really cost - even taking into account the "Porsche premium." (I freely admit I'm that customer they like to see coming. I just don't wanna be this time! :P)

Thanks again!
Old 04-03-2019, 08:42 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

I have a 2016 base with 44,000 miles on it. About a month ago I had the swamp on the passenger floor as well and its a common issue. It is usually caused by the condensation from the AC. I fixed it myself by removing the cabin filter etc. There is a good write up on this forum. After I removed the plugged drain hose that goes through the firewall (and this is a pain) I found an easier solution to clearing the drain hose from the engine compartment. On the VR6 engine if you remove the passenger side engine cover panels you can actually reach the rubber drain flapper valve on the firewall with your hand or a coat hanger and try to clear it. You still have to remove the cabin filter to drain and dry it out or replace it. I don’t think you can reach the engine side of the valve on V6’s or V8’s.
Old 04-03-2019, 08:56 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
I have a 2016 base with 44,000 miles on it. About a month ago I had the swamp on the passenger floor as well and its a common issue. It is usually caused by the condensation from the AC. I fixed it myself by removing the cabin filter etc. There is a good write up on this forum. After I removed the plugged drain hose that goes through the firewall (and this is a pain) I found an easier solution to clearing the drain hose from the engine compartment. On the VR6 engine if you remove the passenger side engine cover panels you can actually reach the rubber drain flapper valve on the firewall with your hand or a coat hanger and try to clear it. You still have to remove the cabin filter to drain and dry it out or replace it. I don’t think you can reach the engine side of the valve on V6’s or V8’s.
I saw the write-up too. Doesn't the car need to be lifted to get under to remove the drain plugs?
Old 04-03-2019, 09:11 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

Originally Posted by EpiKAC
I saw the write-up too. Doesn't the car need to be lifted to get under to remove the drain plugs?
No. The fender liners can be removed with the wheel turned rear-out with the car up on jack-stands. Once the liners are off - the drains are easy to find and clear (or remove.)
Old 04-03-2019, 09:37 PM
jtsmith18
Racer

Received 95 Likes on 78 Posts

Don, do you think the water is from the front cowl area or the AC system drain?
Old 04-03-2019, 09:48 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Originally Posted by deilenberger
No. The fender liners can be removed with the wheel turned rear-out with the car up on jack-stands. Once the liners are off - the drains are easy to find and clear (or remove.)
I don't have jack-stands. Sounds like there are no parts involved, so how much labor is reasonable to expect if I have this done?

Also, had Autozone run the code: P0089 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance. (Could this be related to the starting issue, re: Not enough gas to the starter to turn it over?)

Thanks everyone for taking the time to respond to me. Appreciate it!
Old 04-03-2019, 10:10 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

I found this on 6spd from a couple of years back. It sounds like it's the exact same issue. (Slow crank, then the P0089 code).

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-scanner.html

Clearly this guy had the skills to do the repair himself. I do not. Anyone know what this should run me at a Porsche indy shop, ballpark? (As I alluded to above, I've been taken for a ride before...)
Old 04-04-2019, 01:45 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by jtsmith18
Don, do you think the water is from the front cowl area or the AC system drain?
I wouldn't even begin to hazard a guess. If you don't know they're both clean, assume they're both plugged up.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:47 AM
deilenberger
Banned

I don't have jack-stands. Sounds like there are no parts involved, so how much labor is reasonable to expect if I have this done?
Gotta figure a few hours labor if a shop is doing it. They will put it up on a lift, they will remove the front wheels, then will remove the entire fender liner. They won't do that for 30 minutes labor though.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:53 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Also, had Autozone run the code: P0089 - Fuel Pressure Regulator Performance. (Could this be related to the starting issue, re: Not enough gas to the starter to turn it over?)
Possibly. If the fuel pressure drops when the engine is off - that will cause slow starting as it has to build pressure up in order to have fuel to the injectors to start the engine. It is a direct injection system, meaning besides the pump in the fuel tank, there is also an engine driven high-pressure pump that might be a problem. Since I'm guessing you really aren't a DIY kinda guy - this is the point where I'd suggest getting some professional help who knows what they're doing. It sounds as if the local Porsche shop is NOT that place - fuel pressure can be read out at several spots on the Cayenne with a gauge and a diagnostics system. Sounds to me as if they are either incompetent or not bothering to actually do any real diagnostics - or both. And fuel pressure would be one of the first things to look at given the symptoms you've described - way before considering a new starter.

BTW - the link on 6-speed is excellent.. and pretty much points you directly to the solution. As he noted using a diagnostics tool - the pressure in the feed circuit to the high-pressure pump dropped rapidly when the fuel pump stopped - and that caused his problem. Easy to diagnose if you have the right tool. What does your Porsche shop use for diagnostics?

Quick Reply: What am I looking at?