Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

CD Warranty Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2019, 06:13 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

All CDs received an automatic extension of diesel goodwill warranty regardless of where they were sold.. I bought my CD from a leasing company the 1st owner traded in against a RR. Again suggest you escalate to the higher levels of PCNA. So if you did your fix, then automatically, the car is covered again?

What exactly is wrong on the car that coverage is being denied?
Old 02-04-2019, 06:37 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,528 Likes on 1,575 Posts

Originally Posted by m0ther
We're discussing the 5th/6th years of the 'factory' warranty that was added as a "goodwill gesture" not the emissions warranty.

The service manager absolutely insists that the 2 year extension is voided if a non P-dealer sells the car. He is very confident in the fact that he knows what he is talking about, and that the "2 year diesel warranty" is nothing but a CPO warranty that didn't require an inspection. I now only have an emissions warranty. He further says that I need to talk to Porsche NA to get the details.

I'm waiting for a callback from the manager of "Amanda" (1-800-PORSCHE Contact Center rep) but I've got nowhere to go other than a lawyer.

Does anyone have a copy of the notification letter they might be willing to share with me?

Anyone want a mint and bone stock un-modified '15 CD with ~33k miles on it?
If we were talking about a normal Porsche CPO warranty, he would be correct. So he's not completely crazy.

But this shouldn't apply in the case of the Diesels.
Old 02-04-2019, 06:39 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Assuming that the techs are good it's just a weak battery. Car was brought in because it had recently thrown errors in the DIC about PSM, and the last time, about the electronic parking brake, which wouldn't disengage.

When the folks picked it up the preheat light wouldn't go out, which the dealership blamed on the weak battery. I didn't hear about it until my father called me from the Interstate having trouble getting up the first hill. Thankfully that seems to have just been a fuel gelling issue.

Originally Posted by Needsdecaf
If we were talking about a normal Porsche CPO warranty, he would be correct. So he's not completely crazy.

But this shouldn't apply in the case of the Diesels.
That was my understanding, and obviously the answer I want, but does anyone have any evidence that this is the case?
Right now I'm waiting for that "call back" from the supervisor from the contact center in Michigan, but I have really low faith in how fruitful that conversation will be.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:35 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

service manager is being a dick, first of all
second, he's confusing CPO with the goodwill from the diesel scandal
I believe it may show in their systems 'like' a CPO warranty extension
But, nowhere in those documents does it state anything regarding cancelling if sold through a non-porsche dealer, especially since you bought it before the scandal.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:46 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 93 Posts

We're discussing the 5th/6th years of the 'factory' warranty that was added as a "goodwill gesture" not the emissions warranty.

The service manager absolutely insists that the 2 year extension is voided if a non P-dealer sells the car. He is very confident in the fact that he knows what he is talking about, and that the "2 year diesel warranty" is nothing but a CPO warranty that didn't require an inspection. I now only have an emissions warranty. He further says that I need to talk to Porsche NA to get the details.

I'm waiting for a callback from the manager of "Amanda" (1-800-PORSCHE Contact Center rep) but I've got nowhere to go other than a lawyer.

Does anyone have a copy of the notification letter they might be willing to share with me?

Anyone want a mint and bone stock un-modified '15 CD with ~33k miles on it?
It's easy to sound very confident and still be an utter idiot and not know what you're taking about. He is dead wrong, unless there was some mod work done that would void the warranty.

Ask him to put it in writing for you, so you can have your lawyer take a look at it. Suspect that'll get him off his lazy *** to actually look things up and tell you you're covered. If not, I suspect you may have a valid suit against Danbury for entering a void in the computer against policy and the MM act (simply buying from a non P-dealer does not void any standard warranty).

Originally Posted by Spyerx
service manager is being a dick, first of all
second, he's confusing CPO with the goodwill from the diesel scandal
I believe it may show in their systems 'like' a CPO warranty extension
But, nowhere in those documents does it state anything regarding cancelling if sold through a non-porsche dealer, especially since you bought it before the scandal.
Purchasing from a non-P dealer does negate any purchased CPO warranty, but not the diesel extension as it is NOT a CPO. It has the same basic features, but it isn't one.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:54 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Last edited by visitador; 02-21-2021 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:59 PM
ndars117
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I purchased a CPO 2015 CD In November, and it's been one thing after another. Most recently, the car wouldn't start for 4 days because of the cold, (I assume the cold, because you know I couldn't drive it there to see) - would this happen because of this issue? I wasn't told anything about this recall on diesel enginesVW emissions thing prior to me purchasing it nor can I locate it in service records.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:13 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by ndars117
I purchased a CPO 2015 CD In November, and it's been one thing after another. Most recently, the car wouldn't start for 4 days because of the cold, (I assume the cold, because you know I couldn't drive it there to see) - would this happen because of this issue? I wasn't told anything about this recall on diesel enginesVW emissions thing prior to me purchasing it nor can I locate it in service records.
I don't know the history of your CD, but I got the feeling that it is one that was build/shipped/stored after the stop sale was initiated sometime in 2015. If that is the case, it was already fixed before you bought it. Check the extensive sticky thread about this subject. Do an internet search for 3.0tdi stickers to see if they match those under the hood of your car. Check this website: https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

Regarding the symptoms, it may be your diesel fuel gelling up. There are some threads about this. Maybe you did not put winter fuel in your CD?
Old 02-04-2019, 08:27 PM
awaschka
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Was purchased before the repair was approved, FWIW.
What model year is the car? The terms of the warranty extension are different for pre-2015 v: 2015/2016.
Was the fix done? By whom? There should be a decal on the firewall or hood on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

My dealer was "absolutely certain" that the 2 year extension was a free CPO so the CPO my car was advertised with would not stack on top of the Dieselgate extension. I told him that, based on information from a PCNA representative in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-coverage.html

that the Dieselgate warranty was not a CPO and that CPO was supposed to stack on top of the Dieselgate warranty. He said he would check. He called me back and told me I was correct.

According to information provided by a PCNA representative quoted in the thread, for 2015 and 2016 all Cayenne Diesels have an extension of 2 years and unlimited mileage to the new car warranty. This warranty is separate from the emissions warranty (which was also extended) and is not a CPO. That may not be true if the modification was not performed. I don't see how the modification could be performed by anyone else as it requires a code download to the ECM.

I bought a 2015 that was put in service 1/15/2015 with 43,000 miles on it CPO from a dealer. I hit the 1/15/2019 limit and still haven't hit 50,000 miles. Net result I have new car warranty with unlimited miles until 1/15/2021 and CPO until 1/15/2023 again with unlimited miles.

Read the thread - there is conflicting information in it, but the authoritative information is in an e-mail from a PCNA rep.
Old 02-05-2019, 12:32 AM
awaschka
Instructor

Default Here is one of the quotes I referred to above

Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by awaschka
What model year is the car? The terms of the warranty extension are different for pre-2015 v: 2015/2016.
Was the fix done? By whom? There should be a decal on the firewall or hood on the drivers side of the engine compartment.

My dealer was "absolutely certain" that the 2 year extension was a free CPO so the CPO my car was advertised with would not stack on top of the Dieselgate extension. I told him that, based on information from a PCNA representative in this thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...-coverage.html

that the Dieselgate warranty was not a CPO and that CPO was supposed to stack on top of the Dieselgate warranty. He said he would check. He called me back and told me I was correct.

According to information provided by a PCNA representative quoted in the thread, for 2015 and 2016 all Cayenne Diesels have an extension of 2 years and unlimited mileage to the new car warranty. This warranty is separate from the emissions warranty (which was also extended) and is not a CPO. That may not be true if the modification was not performed. I don't see how the modification could be performed by anyone else as it requires a code download to the ECM.

I bought a 2015 that was put in service 1/15/2015 with 43,000 miles on it CPO from a dealer. I hit the 1/15/2019 limit and still haven't hit 50,000 miles. Net result I have new car warranty with unlimited miles until 1/15/2021 and CPO until 1/15/2023 again with unlimited miles.

Read the thread - there is conflicting information in it, but the authoritative information is in an e-mail from a PCNA rep.
Interesting.

Unless they've changed internally - and without making a big deal out of it - the extended original warranty is 2 years and 100K miles for all CDs that were in service before the stop sale. I have the letter stating that condition. Not sure where that unlimited mileage thing comes from.

Vehicles sold as CPO after 12/1/2017 are under the unlimited mileage coverage and according to the thread quoted, is tacked onto the end of the new (extended) warranty (my dealer is still saying it's stacked on top, basically giving unlimited mileage but not pushing the date out by 2 years; I'll have to press to test that after 2021!).

Why is that important? I have a CPO, so unlimited mileage anyway. But the coverage would be original: 1/20/2019/50K, extended: 1/20/2021/100K and CPO: 1/20/2023/Unlimited. Of course, with the CPO, only the dates matter now, since it's all unlimited.

But I also have one we bought new 2014 which, according to the letter from Porsche, has 2 extra years and out to 100K miles, or 9/2020 and 100K. I suspect we won't get to 100K by then, but it's possible. If it were unlimited, great!

Both have the 10/120K, too, for limited drivetrain/emissions. For the 2014, that means 2024 and 120K. I suspect we'll hit the mileage before the years on this one. For the 2015, it's 1/20/2025 and 120K and will probably hit miles before the date, on this one, too.
Old 02-07-2019, 09:17 AM
GrandPaJohn
Pro

Received 129 Likes on 84 Posts

I was under the impression that new un-punched CD's were also sold as CPO and included the unlimited mileage. Only difference between punched and un-punched was the warranty start dates.
Old 02-08-2019, 03:52 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

That's what the letter quoted above indicates.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:46 AM
awaschka
Instructor

Originally Posted by visitador
That service advisor should be corrected. I am attaching a copy of the letter. Notice it says "fully transferable to any future owner." It can be transferred without any conditions. There is nothing that says it has the same condition as CPO or that a transfer to a non-Porsche dealer voids it.
Interestingly the link in the letter takes you to the CPO warranty, not something specific for the diesels. There seems to be a lot of conflicting information around, even originating from Porsche itself. As previously mentioned, the best thing is to get the dealer to pull the warranty information for your car and tell you what it all means, preferably in writing.

Al
Old 02-21-2019, 10:15 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

This is what my '13 diesel warranty looks like in the system.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: CD Warranty Nightmare