Sponsored By:

CD Warranty Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CD Warranty Nightmare

Has anyone ever heard of Porsche warranties being voided if the vehicle was purchased at a non-Porsche dealership?

I was the second owner, and I purchased it with over a year of the original factory warranty left from a dealership group down in Austin. It is now a few months past the 4 year mark (warranty was made 6/100k as part of Dieselgate). After having trouble with the dealership (sent my mid 70s parents off with the vehicle with the preheat light flashing and not enough power to get up a hill on the interstate at 65mph) I called 1-800-Porsche. After calling and speaking to the dealership Amanda from Porsche NA informed me that Danbury Porsche has voided my warranty because *I purchased the vehicle from a non-Porsche dealership* and that their policy is to support whatever their dealer partners decide, and so she has voided my CD's warranty.

This seems completely insane to me. Has anyone ever heard of anything like this happening?
Old 02-01-2019, 07:34 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 489 Likes on 326 Posts

No. It doesn't matter where you buy the vehicle. Its under warranty no matter if you buy it from Joe's Used Cars, a private individual or a Porsche dealer. There has to be more here...
Old 02-01-2019, 07:43 PM
LuigiPetrone
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

just had my cats replaced under warranty, its a 2014 CD that a i bought from a non Porsche dealer.... no issues, sonnnen Porsche did all the work...
Old 02-01-2019, 08:10 PM
pepperpepper
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

This makes absolutely no sense to me. To be perfectly honest I don't know how this would even be legal under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. Have you spoken with the dealership that voided the warranty to get any more information? It may be worth contacting an attorney that specializes in consumer law to help. Anyhow, I've never found the PCNA hotline to particularly helpful, as a matter of fact the last time I called I was taken aback about how poorly I was treated.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:25 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docwyte
No. It doesn't matter where you buy the vehicle. Its under warranty no matter if you buy it from Joe's Used Cars, a private individual or a Porsche dealer. There has to be more here...
I won't be able to get any more information until Monday.

There is obviously more to the story between myself and the dealership- I didn't let them replace the "weak" battery for $880 or sell me a $500 replacement engine cover. (It turns out a dealer down here in Florida forgot to put it back on after I had the oil changed when my folks were down here visiting- I called them, they found it in their storage room and immediately had a courtesy driver bring it to me. I now have to find a box that fits it and ship it to NY...) So apparently I didn't pay my vig.

Originally Posted by LuigiPetrone
just had my cats replaced under warranty, its a 2014 CD that a i bought from a non Porsche dealer.... no issues, sonnnen Porsche did all the work...
I guess the west coast has better dealers than the east coast. Word of warning to people with CDs not purchased from a P-dealer, stay away from Danbury Porsche!
Old 02-03-2019, 11:25 PM
b-man
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m0ther
I guess the west coast has better dealers than the east coast. Word of warning to people with CDs not purchased from a P-dealer, stay away from Danbury Porsche!
Please keep us updated. I am very interested in how this works out.

b-man
Old 02-04-2019, 09:52 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

Bought our '13 GTS from a boutique Indy Dealer here in N.C, they specialize in fun/hobby cars etc..

regardless, they are far from an authorized "Porsche dealer"..

Car still had warranty remaining and I got a few things covered under warranty.. No problems,, buying from a non dealer, private party or even car auction has nothing to do with whether original warranty is valid or honored..

keep us posted
Old 02-04-2019, 10:53 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

I have never heard of diesels denied warranty because it was bought from an independent. It is not CPO. It is an emissions warranty that has a CPO like coverage. No?
Old 02-04-2019, 01:47 PM
Blue Chip
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just had an engine out re-seal service on my CD 2013 at the dealership under warranty. Bought it from a private dealer.
Old 02-04-2019, 01:54 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Both Fairfield and Greenwich Porsche are excellent shops BTW.

I would find this gentleman's email..

PCNA Vice President of Customer Experience Simon Kuhnimhof

https://press.porsche.com/prod/press...f?OpenDocument

This thread is a very good read..

https://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...xperience.html
Old 02-04-2019, 02:01 PM
Nackem
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible that in the req's for the 2-year warranty extension the "fix" needs to be performed by a Porsche dealer before being sold by a 3rd party? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a denial.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

I still have the letter from Porsche. It basically says that as a goodwill gesture, they are extending the original warranty for two more years (forgot miles). So, any denial of warranty has to be in the same way the original new warranty is denied; I doubt it has to do with being sold by a non-Porsche dealer. Off my brain, I can only think of extreme aftermarket modifications.
Old 02-04-2019, 03:21 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Nackem
Is it possible that in the req's for the 2-year warranty extension the "fix" needs to be performed by a Porsche dealer before being sold by a 3rd party? That's the only thing I can think of that would cause a denial.
No. It applies to all diesels. The fixed diesel extends to 10yr/120K or 12/145K to CPO CDs.

Originally Posted by visitador
I still have the letter from Porsche. It basically says that as a goodwill gesture, they are extending the original warranty for two more years (forgot miles). So, any denial of warranty has to be in the same way the original new warranty is denied; I doubt it has to do with being sold by a non-Porsche dealer. Off my brain, I can only think of extreme aftermarket modifications.
Thought OP said he serviced his CD at the dealer. Just not at Danbury Porsche.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:02 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

We're discussing the 5th/6th years of the 'factory' warranty that was added as a "goodwill gesture" not the emissions warranty.

The service manager absolutely insists that the 2 year extension is voided if a non P-dealer sells the car. He is very confident in the fact that he knows what he is talking about, and that the "2 year diesel warranty" is nothing but a CPO warranty that didn't require an inspection. I now only have an emissions warranty. He further says that I need to talk to Porsche NA to get the details.

I'm waiting for a callback from the manager of "Amanda" (1-800-PORSCHE Contact Center rep) but I've got nowhere to go other than a lawyer.

Does anyone have a copy of the notification letter they might be willing to share with me?

Anyone want a mint and bone stock un-modified '15 CD with ~33k miles on it?
Old 02-04-2019, 04:04 PM
m0ther
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Nackem
Was purchased before the repair was approved, FWIW.

Quick Reply: CD Warranty Nightmare