Sponsored By:

958 On Jack Stands

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 06:08 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Received 341 Likes on 238 Posts
Default 958 On Jack Stands

This is a typical sight at my house. A Porsche/VW on jack stands.

After my internet search I found something on Pelican but it was for earlier Cayennes. So I used some of that information and came up with my own plan . I'm not sure if this is the Porsche approved way or not but it worked for me. So if your your cayenne crashes to the ground it's not my fault.
Before lifting the car I went around and loosened all the the lug nuts. Then raised the car as high as I could with the on board air suspension. Then I locked the suspension in place. To lock it in place you need to press and hold the the suspension button forward

Until you see this message on the multi function display.

With the suspension locked I can safely get the car in the air and run the engine without fear of the air suspension automatically trying to compensate.
I placed the cup of my floor jack right under the frame that supports the back of the rear differential.

When the rear tires are sufficiently off the ground I slid my jack stands under the rear sub frame mounts.

After lowering the jack and the rear end of the car on the jack stands I moved the floor jack to the cross member toward the front of the car. Right below the transfer case.

Once the passenger front wheel was in the air I slid my jack stand under the front passenger sub frame mount.

Then lowered the jack and raised the drivers side the same way.
My jack stands are adjustable so with the same number of clicks front and rear it put the car perfectly level. That is why I chose the sub frame mounts. They are probably one of the strongest points on the car and are on the same plain of the car. So having the car perfectly level was important to me for the jobs I was doing.
I got a private message from one of our members asking me how I got the car in the air, and since I had trouble finding suitable jack points, I thought I would share what I came up with with the community. JOB DONE.
Old 01-22-2019, 06:36 PM
kennyt
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

You are awesome. Everyone will benefit from your post. Thanks very much.

If I understand your post correctly, there's no way to jack the whole front at once. The back of the vehicle will be on 2 jack stands while you jack each side of the front up?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:31 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Is the jack on the rear diff?
Old 01-22-2019, 07:52 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
Is the jack on the rear diff?
No. It's on the frame that the diff is mounted to
Old 01-23-2019, 01:46 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,723 Likes on 1,630 Posts

That pic of the jack stands on those little mounts is scary. I'd never do that.
Old 01-23-2019, 02:31 PM
DAVfoto
Three Wheelin'

Received 249 Likes on 175 Posts

Yea, I'd rather have jack stands with the rubber pad on a mount like that instead of the u shaped metal things that come with them standard.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:07 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

It's quite stable. I wouldn't use them if it was sketchy.
Old 01-23-2019, 03:43 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I would use the Esco jack stands on the factory lift points. That would be very stable. I don't like those jack stands nor the points that you are using them.

Why not use the factory lift points? If you want to keep your jack stands, maybe use a hockey puck?
Old 01-23-2019, 03:50 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Texas993
I would use the Esco jack stands on the factory lift points. That would be very stable. I don't like those jack stands nor the points that you are using them.

Why not use the factory lift points? If you want to keep your jack stands, maybe use a hockey puck?
What is an esco jack? And what is the hockey puck for?
Old 01-23-2019, 04:19 PM
F SANE IL
Three Wheelin'

Received 171 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
Good post overall. However, I agree with the other few folks who raised concern about the jack stand points. your car is being held by very small surface area of the jack stand. I've had cars slip off and roll in my distant inexperienced past. With no wheels on the car, I don't even want to imagine the consequences. The hockey pucks would at least create a more surface grip for the jack stand than what you have there in the pictures. I would probably use the jack points on the car instead of those points you used, but the info about putting suspension into lock mode is very important. I myself didn't know how this is done until I asked last week I think.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:20 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Originally Posted by twodollardoug
https://esco.net/products/esco-3-ton...le-jack-stand/
Old 01-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

I have a quick jack for my 997. But it’s too short for the CTT. I’m trying to figure out to put the truck on jack stands to do the brakes. All the factory jack points are recessed and surrounded by plastic.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:22 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I have a quick jack for my 997. But it’s too short for the CTT. I’m trying to figure out to put the truck on jack stands to do the brakes. All the factory jack points are recessed and surrounded by plastic.
Exactly.
Old 01-23-2019, 04:23 PM
twodollardoug
Three Wheelin'

I'm fine with my method.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:32 PM
dbv1
Burning Brakes

Received 125 Likes on 79 Posts

I got a Quick Jack too. I started a thread on this last year and someone replied they had it working with the extensions Quick Jack sells. I'll test that in the spring and post some pics.

Quick Reply: 958 On Jack Stands