Notices
Cayenne 958 - 2011-2018 2nd Generation
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Lower range transfer case versus tech upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 01:42 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Lower range transfer case versus tech upgrades?

I am somewhat inclined to go for a 2010 Cayenne or earlier because it has a low range transfer case. I like to offroad, though I stick to the light stuff. But it is better to have more capacity than you need offroad rather than the other way around. I am wondering if the technological advances made post 2010 outweigh the advantages of the lower transfer case given my probable use.....Thoughts?

Last edited by lml999; 05-22-2022 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:48 PM
NoEardGoat
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I was unaware of the gearing difference in the transfer case. I believe the older gen Cayenne's had a true locking differential that physically locked L & R wheels. The 2011+ has locking feature, but I think it still uses wheels sensors for the wheel power distribution. Its a matter of what you want to rely on off the grid; physically locking or rely on the computer distributed power management. If I were really going to push it offroad I would prefer the older manual drivetrain, but if your not going into terrain that can tear wiring, brake lines, etc. newer drivetrain will be fine. But the limiting factor offroad is always tire selection. You should also research differences in tire options (off the top off my head I'm thinking 18" is going to have the most offroad worthy options), between the newer and older model.
Old 10-18-2018, 12:50 PM
garrett376
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 624 Likes on 479 Posts

Originally Posted by NoEardGoat
I was unaware of the gearing difference in the transfer case. I believe the older gen Cayenne's had a true locking differential that physically locked L & R wheels. The 2011+ has locking feature, but I think it still uses wheels sensors for the wheel power distribution. Its a matter of what you want to rely on off the grid; physically locking or rely on the computer distributed power management. If I were really going to push it offroad I would prefer the older manual drivetrain, but if your not going into terrain that can tear wiring, brake lines, etc. newer drivetrain will be fine. But the limiting factor offroad is always tire selection. You should also research differences in tire options (off the top off my head I'm thinking 18" is going to have the most offroad worthy options), between the newer and older model.
Incorrect information is written above. 955/957s and 958s both have center locking differentials and they both utilize ABD to lock axle wheels that are slipping. "L & R wheels" (assume you mean Left and Right) do not lock on any Cayenne without braking intervention unless you have a rear locking differential, which is available on both models. Brake lines won't get torn, and wiring is very well placed on these machines so that's not at all an issue between models. Both models also have great lower body protection panels available from the factory.

1st gen Cayennes (955/957s) have a low range reduction gearing in Off-road mode; 2nd gen Cayennes (958.1 and .2) do not. Despite this, the off-road capabilities remain very close, especially if only light off-roading is in your future. Having the reduction gear is helpful for frequent extended period difficult situations requiring significant torque which is usually limited to a rock climbing type of situation (flat ground transitions to creeping over tall rocks). This can still be done with 958s, but the constant crawling over an extended period of time can cause the transmission torque converter to heat up the fluid over time which would likely not occur with a reduction gearbox since the low range permits slow creeping/crawling which is otherwise torque converter intensive on 958s. Since Cayennes aren't really rock climbing machines due to suspension articulation limitations and their expensive components, the lack of a reduction gear is not that significant of an issue. The 958 Off-road mode can more flexible in terrain with many transitions since it doesn't require any slowing or going to N to disengage and doesn't require going to N with significant slowing or stopping to engage. But what may be more of an issue for off-roaders is that 955/957s are very hard to get with rear locking differentials (requires the rarely equipped Advanced Off-road Technology Package), whereas rear locking differentials are far more common on a 958 thanks to the PTV+ option. A rear locking differential is a very big help off-roading in all traction compromised situations which Cayennes will commonly encounter. Also, the ~400lbs overall weight reduction of a 958 versus a 955/957 can be helpful. Overall both generations are great fun off-roading and will tolerate just about anything you encounter within its ground clearance limits.
The following 2 users liked this post by garrett376:
emix75 (02-15-2021), MountainDog (05-20-2022)
Old 10-18-2018, 02:53 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by garrett376
Incorrect information is written above. 955/957s and 958s both have center locking differentials and they both utilize ABD to lock axle wheels that are slipping. "L & R wheels" (assume you mean Left and Right) do not lock on any Cayenne without braking intervention unless you have a rear locking differential, which is available on both models. Brake lines won't get torn, and wiring is very well placed on these machines so that's not at all an issue between models. Both models also have great lower body protection panels available from the factory.

1st gen Cayennes (955/957s) have a low range reduction gearing in Off-road mode; 2nd gen Cayennes (958.1 and .2) do not. Despite this, the off-road capabilities remain very close, especially if only light off-roading is in your future. Having the reduction gear is helpful for frequent extended period difficult situations requiring significant torque which is usually limited to a rock climbing type of situation (flat ground transitions to creeping over tall rocks). This can still be done with 958s, but the constant crawling over an extended period of time can cause the transmission torque converter to heat up the fluid over time which would likely not occur with a reduction gearbox since the low range permits slow creeping/crawling which is otherwise torque converter intensive on 958s. Since Cayennes aren't really rock climbing machines due to suspension articulation limitations and their expensive components, the lack of a reduction gear is not that significant of an issue. The 958 Off-road mode can more flexible in terrain with many transitions since it doesn't require any slowing or going to N to disengage and doesn't require going to N with significant slowing or stopping to engage. But what may be more of an issue for off-roaders is that 955/957s are very hard to get with rear locking differentials (requires the rarely equipped Advanced Off-road Technology Package), whereas rear locking differentials are far more common on a 958 thanks to the PTV+ option. A rear locking differential is a very big help off-roading in all traction compromised situations which Cayennes will commonly encounter. Also, the ~400lbs overall weight reduction of a 958 versus a 955/957 can be helpful. Overall both generations are great fun off-roading and will tolerate just about anything you encounter within its ground clearance limits.
Thanks for the feedback. What is PTV?
Old 10-18-2018, 03:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by diver110
Thanks for the feedback. What is PTV?
Porsche Torque Vectoring

Uses an active differential to put additional power to the outside rear wheel when cornering - to push it around the corner. Makes for supposedly faster turning. Dunno how true that is..
Old 05-20-2022, 05:07 PM
MountainDog
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd love to get input from those of you knowledgeable about and/or experienced with the off-road capabilities of the 958 diesel.

Background/context:

I currently have a 2009 Cayenne S that I frequently take off-road in the Colorado Rockies and other parts of the west. No hardcore rock climbing, but I like to get to remote trails and dispersed camping and am getting more into overlanding. I have a very capable off-road camper (Opus OP4). It has electric brakes and I have a brake controller installed on the Cayenne. My 957 is stock. I put Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires on the 18" wheels. With this configuration, it has no problem towing the camper up/down dirt slopes and over some rocks in low range. The engine temp sometimes gets a little hot after towing up fairly steep, slippery slopes at high altitudes. But I just stop for a minute and it goes back down to normal temp.

I want to get a 958 diesel (~2014) for better fuel economy on adventures this summer.

It sounds like 958 off-road mode combined with the torque and lower 1st gear on the diesel engine is very capable, but falls a little short of the capabilities of my 957 S with low range. I'm trying to figure out if a 958 diesel will work for my use case.

I would have no concerns about the 958 if I didn't need to tow the 3,400 lb (with full water tanks) off-road camper up/down dirt slopes and over some rocks.

My questions and input I'm seeking:

1. Is a 958 diesel likely to give me hill descent control and climbing ability I need for towing my camper off-road? (given context/background above)

2. Any insights about the same for a 2012 to 2015 Touareg TDI also appreciated.

3. Let me know if I've overlooked anything... I'm new to all of this and don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

Jerry

Last edited by MountainDog; 05-20-2022 at 05:23 PM.
Old 05-20-2022, 09:20 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 387 Likes on 273 Posts

Originally Posted by MountainDog
I'd love to get input from those of you knowledgeable about and/or experienced with the off-road capabilities of the 958 diesel.

Background/context:

I currently have a 2009 Cayenne S that I frequently take off-road in the Colorado Rockies and other parts of the west. No hardcore rock climbing, but I like to get to remote trails and dispersed camping and am getting more into overlanding. I have a very capable off-road camper (Opus OP4). It has electric brakes and I have a brake controller installed on the Cayenne. My 957 is stock. I put Falken Wildpeak A/T Trail tires on the 18" wheels. With this configuration, it has no problem towing the camper up/down dirt slopes and over some rocks in low range. The engine temp sometimes gets a little hot after towing up fairly steep, slippery slopes at high altitudes. But I just stop for a minute and it goes back down to normal temp.

I want to get a 958 diesel (~2014) for better fuel economy on adventures this summer.

It sounds like 958 off-road mode combined with the torque and lower 1st gear on the diesel engine is very capable, but falls a little short of the capabilities of my 957 S with low range. I'm trying to figure out if a 958 diesel will work for my use case.

I would have no concerns about the 958 if I didn't need to tow the 3,400 lb (with full water tanks) off-road camper up/down dirt slopes and over some rocks.

My questions and input I'm seeking:

1. Is a 958 diesel likely to give me hill descent control and climbing ability I need for towing my camper off-road? (given context/background above)

2. Any insights about the same for a 2012 to 2015 Touareg TDI also appreciated.

3. Let me know if I've overlooked anything... I'm new to all of this and don't know what I don't know.

Thanks!

Jerry
I can only answer #1, yes. It has all the tech for controlled descent as all the other cayennes and the gearing, is great, and power off idle is nice in off reading situations.
The following users liked this post:
MountainDog (05-21-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 11:58 AM
cathalferris
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

At least the diesel 958 has a real Torsen diff in the real center diff, so is technically LSD in the center diff from the factory. The petrol 958 doesn't have a real center diff, but instead has a clutchpack-controlled transfer case.

Good similar comparisons for off-road capability are the diesel Q7 and Touaregs of the late noughties and early twenteens, as they have the same transmission and suspensions as a rule. I.e. if a Touareg can do it the diesel 958 should also definitely do it.
The following users liked this post:
MountainDog (05-22-2022)
Old 05-22-2022, 06:18 PM
MountainDog
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of your comments are really helpful! Thank you!

Quick Reply: Lower range transfer case versus tech upgrades?