Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Would you offroad in a Cayenne Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2018, 07:19 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

So I pulled the trigger on a 2009 Cayenne turbo, sadly no PDCC. Let’s say I only offroad in light, dry conditions in CO. The Cayenne has 20 inch wheels. How crazy is it to offroad with high performance, all season tires that fit the current wheels, given my type of use?
Old 10-27-2018, 06:00 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Reason we went with a Cayenne turbo diesel is for the low end torque. Also wanted 18" wheels as you want as much rubber as possible for off-road use. The range is also a plus, not many places to refuel off-road - we have gotten as much as 765 miles to a tank. After ~six years and 80k miles of principally Overlanding and off-road endurance rally our CD has never let us down. We have driven from the summer hot Chihuahuan desert to -36F north of the Arctic Circle with no issue. For altitude in Idaho we started one section of trail at 3800', climbed to 8000', then descended to 4000' in less than a mile. For more of what we do see: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...meet-otis.html
You could also get a safari 911

Old 10-29-2018, 01:32 PM
JoeFromPA
Racer

Received 176 Likes on 99 Posts

Great thread.

Many people define off-roading in different ways. Some people define it as rock-crawling where you need serious skid plates/underbody armor, super low tire pressures, and ultra short gearing (i.e. low-range transfer case). Some define it as the ability to go in super deep mud/ford a certain amount of water. Some as more the ability to handle fire trails.

For me, I'm eyeballing the CTT to serve as a potential beach vehicle that would need to traverse very deep, soft sand on flat surfaces. All I really need for that is tires that will float over sand - so not too aggressive a tread, can deflate to 10-15 PSI, ~8" of ground clearance, and a very good AWD/4WD system. A ford explorer can do this. And the CTT hits all the marks too, albeit it's "too nice" for beach vehicle duty by some peoples reckoning.

IMHO, a CTT would be an undesirable rock crawler, mudder, or fording vehicle. But fire trails, sand, and similar duty seem just right.

Old 10-29-2018, 01:35 PM
diver110
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeFromPA
Great thread.

Many people define off-roading in different ways. Some people define it as rock-crawling where you need serious skid plates/underbody armor, super low tire pressures, and ultra short gearing (i.e. low-range transfer case). Some define it as the ability to go in super deep mud/ford a certain amount of water. Some as more the ability to handle fire trails.

For me, I'm eyeballing the CTT to serve as a potential beach vehicle that would need to traverse very deep, soft sand on flat surfaces. All I really need for that is tires that will float over sand - so not too aggressive a tread, can deflate to 10-15 PSI, ~8" of ground clearance, and a very good AWD/4WD system. A ford explorer can do this. And the CTT hits all the marks too, albeit it's "too nice" for beach vehicle duty by some peoples reckoning.

IMHO, a CTT would be an undesirable rock crawler, mudder, or fording vehicle. But fire trails, sand, and similar duty seem just right.
I am more in the latter category, though I might call in forest road/fire trail plus, but definitely no rock crawling or serious mud.

Quick Reply: Would you offroad in a Cayenne Turbo?