Sponsored By:

Bose verus Standard

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 01:55 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Bose verus Standard

Looking at a well equipped CD, and it makes no sense as to why they did not include Bose, but they did not. Is there a noticeable, or material difference between the standard audio and the Bose system?
Thanks for all input.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:03 PM
PCGTS
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't speak to the BOSE, I have a '16 GTS seemingly well equipped but with the base stereo, which is really bad. I'm planning a custom upgrade.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:42 PM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 198 Likes on 158 Posts

Hate to hear that....I love music. The car I found has everything I want other than Bose. Probably kills that deal.
Old 05-31-2018, 02:51 PM
CarGuyNVA
Drifting

Received 162 Likes on 126 Posts

The optional Bose system is a noticeable positive difference from the standard base system (to my ears anyway). This is one of those things though where you're going to have to arrange to listen to both of them yourself to determine if it's worth it to hold out for the Bose or not. I've been a audio/stereo enthusiast for years and one guy's ideal system is often another person's junk. So ya just gotta listen and decide for yourself.
Old 05-31-2018, 03:46 PM
PCGTS
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mafpolo
Hate to hear that....I love music. The car I found has everything I want other than Bose. Probably kills that deal.
I found the car I wanted, sans bose, and made the purchase anyway. IMHO - I would never think not to buy the CAR because of its less than stellar speakers, which can be replaced and upgraded well beyond even the highest version the factory provides. just a thought
The following users liked this post:
Benjamin Cherry (01-20-2020)
Old 05-31-2018, 05:06 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Sound is really subjective. Some here are happy even with the base non-PCM audio. Some think the Burmester needs more. Some are in-between.

It's a matter of how much do you love music and how far are you willing to go to get it. "Far" can be money, time, etc..

This gives you an idea of what the OEM offerings consist of:
The following 2 users liked this post by Eskimo1:
BenCD (12-19-2019), Benjamin Cherry (01-20-2020)
Old 05-31-2018, 06:55 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

the base is just fine in ours. Ordered it pretty loaded and Bose wasn't worth the price. Had 2 991s before the GT4, one with and one without. Didn't notice a difference that would justify the additional cost.
Old 05-31-2018, 10:03 PM
sclemmons
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

This is a tough call. I have Bose in both of mine, but the Alpine in my BMW sounded better when I had it. I think I could be pleased with an aftermarket stereo well done, but I bet the next buyer dings you for it. Burmester is hard to justify. All I listen to is podcasts any more, so I should be happy with the standard sound system.
Old 06-01-2018, 08:19 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

The Bose setup isn't amazing but it's leaps better than the base radio. The base radio is appallingly bad for a vehicle at this price-point. The Burmester is considerably better but at a pretty steep premium.
Old 06-01-2018, 10:21 AM
Trueblue
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Just took delivery of “new” 2016 CD with non Bose PCM. Surprisingly the non Bose PCM on the 2016 does not have Sirius/XM. I can stream Sirius with blue tooth. However it occasionally gets interrupted as I suspect changing towers occurs. Then it becomes a hassle to reconnect to the station I was listening. I’m looking at installing the VAIS receiver and at the time will probably upgrade amp and speakers. I’ve been quoted $2000 all in. Which is about what the list of the infotainment Bose option was on the 2016.
Welcome all thoughts and product recommendations as this thread continues.

I currently use the $70 Sirius receivers in my ‘77 911 and ‘92 968. They connect into the tuner with a CD. Antenna is placed on dash. Powered through cig lighter. Sounds great and works fine. Negative is too many wires. This was DIY. A pro could clean it up for me. For the Cayenne i’m Looking for a more refined look.
Old 06-01-2018, 11:29 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 149 Likes on 106 Posts

It's a harsh reality but with recent generation of vehicle radios (not just Porsche) if you don't order what you want at the time of manufacture you're pretty much stuck with whatever's in there. At least not without wandering into Frankenstein territory with Android-based units and the like. Beyond just the units there's the in-vehicle wiring. Porsche generally doesn't include wiring for options that aren't present. Some mass-produced vehicles will have a generic harness with unused connectors, allowing for adding/changing options later. With Porsche I believe each harness is tailored unique to the vehicle options. So there won't be anything extra waiting for a module to be connected. At least that's been my impression when it comes to infotainment wiring.

There have been various aftermarket gizmos and remotes for Sirius radios. That and there are good inline power adapters to allow connecting without using the accessory outlets, wired to the fuse panel instead of the socket. Could be a different sort of Sirius unit could give a more refined looking install? There used to be one that could attach to the windshield or visor, the Xtr3, iirc?

That or since you've got the previous-gen PCM you could perhaps use a hard-mount bracket from Rennline to provide a mounting point for some other Sirius add-on. Or if you're ok with it being lower on the side of the AC button console, a mount from Pro-Clip might work. The various panels near these mounting locations have reasonable ways to allow for hiding the wires to them, to make for a decent looking install.

It might help if you took a picture of the radio you're got in there already. If just to clarify exactly which one is in there.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:30 PM
marinerbc
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

My advise is to sample each system at the dealer somehow , as I am in the process of upgrading the Bose system on 2016 CTT, had no choice at the time of this CPO purchase.
I know it will be costly but the stock Bose system just does not cut it for me.
Old 06-01-2018, 04:40 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 133 Likes on 90 Posts

If you find a GOOD stereo shop (read: NOT Best Buy....) there are options out there for aftermarket stuff that let you keep the factory head unit and functionality, but upgrade the speakers, amps, and overall audio quality.

As others have said, "is the base system good enough?" will depend on your ears and tastes.

I think the Bose in the Cayenne sounds pretty good, and I think I have a decent ear. I have some good home equipment and spend a lot of time relaxing and enjoying music. My current Cayenne has the Burmester and it's head and shoulders above the Bose.

My wife's first Boxster had the "base" audio system in it. When that got totaled out, we replaced it with another Boxster, which had Bose.

In the Boxster, the Bose sounds like garbage IMO. The base system in her first Boxster sounded WAY better in my opinion.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:07 AM
Elberoth
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Get a quality 3 way system, an amp like Match 86DSP (which can be perfectly integrated into your current setup) and you will have a system that sounds miles, MILES better than either BOSE or Burmester.

I have BOSE and it sounds like crap.
Old 06-04-2018, 09:51 AM
golftime
Racer

Received 77 Likes on 54 Posts

If you have the base system and you want good sound, your best move is to take Elberoth's advice. I have had Bose in my last 6-7 cars, different makes and models, and the earlier versions just plain sucked beyond belief. Bose has always been known in audiophile circles as a low-fidelity company, with no bass, no highs, and too much distortion at higher listening levels. I will say the Bose in my 2016 is actually much, much better than the old systems, and is livable, but it won't hold a candle to systems like Bowers and Wilkins or Mark Levinson. Burmester is very good but over-priced for the sound quality.

Quick Reply: Bose verus Standard