Gas vs Diesel? Which to Buy

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 10:38 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts
Default Porsche WILL CPO Diesels

Originally Posted by mafpolo
I'd love a CPO, but Porsche won't CPO diesels. If you buy a new one from a dealer, regardless of year...15 or 16, you get a six year warranty. If you buy used one anywhere, there is a 6 year 120,000 mile warranty on most diesel and drive train components.
I bought a Certified Cayenne Diesel. Mine has the CPO warranty as well as the diesel warranty. Some dealers who don't want to spend money on the certification have told people that the diesel warranty IS the same as the CPO (or "Porsche has this diesel warranty, so they won't certify them), which is BS.

Old 12-23-2018, 03:25 PM
volksjaeger
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Andial
The petrol is a better choice. More environmentally friendly, greater longevity, and better sounding.
LoL wrong, wrong and wrong.

On the "environment" it's most likely a wash as diesel emits less CO2 but more particulate matter. There's enough plastics in all these cars to fill up landfills for 1000 years so anyone claiming they are buying a car because they are environmentally conscious is laughable at best.

"Greater longevity"?!? Whatever you are smoking please can I have some? Diesels are known for being barely broken in around 200k miles. And with the whole diesel-gate situation for the '15-'16 models the expensive stuff like the HPFP are covered under an incredible 10 years or 120k miles.

Better Sounding? Nothing beats that big rig diesel clatter and you don't even mention the epic low end torque.

Buy Diesel for Greater longevity, big grin torque and to help reduce green house gasses.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by volksjaeger
LoL wrong, wrong and wrong.

On the "environment" it's most likely a wash as diesel emits less CO2 but more particulate matter. There's enough plastics in all these cars to fill up landfills for 1000 years so anyone claiming they are buying a car because they are environmentally conscious is laughable at best.

"Greater longevity"?!? Whatever you are smoking please can I have some? Diesels are known for being barely broken in around 200k miles. And with the whole diesel-gate situation for the '15-'16 models the expensive stuff like the HPFP are covered under an incredible 10 years or 120k miles.

Better Sounding? Nothing beats that big rig diesel clatter and you don't even mention the epic low end torque.

Buy Diesel for Greater longevity, big grin torque and to help reduce green house gasses.
Complete agreement. The Diesel Cayenne gets nearly 50% better fuel mileage than an equivalent gas powered SUV. This is even true for the fixed diesel engine. Somehow, someway, someone needs to really explain to me how the excess NOx pollutants put out by a diesel are worse for the environment than burning the extra fuel in gasoline powered SUVs.
Old 12-24-2018, 09:37 PM
dbv1
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 80 Posts

NOx are gross. They don't occur normally in significant quantities in the atmosphere, whereas H2O and CO2 do. NOx cause smog, acid rain and other nasty things.

Don't get me wrong, diesels are epic for the torque and low fuel consumption but I've seen more than one thread here about the diesels leaking oil. Not sure how prevalent that is. 3.6 seem to be blissfully problem-free if a little boring.
Old 12-25-2018, 08:35 AM
mafpolo
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by PJ Cayenne
Complete agreement. The Diesel Cayenne gets nearly 50% better fuel mileage than an equivalent gas powered SUV. This is even true for the fixed diesel engine. Somehow, someway, someone needs to really explain to me how the excess NOx pollutants put out by a diesel are worse for the environment than burning the extra fuel in gasoline powered SUVs.
My guess (emphasis on "guess") is that it is a wash. You made a good point. Diesel puts out more NOx but less other pollutants and better mileage per gallon,a nd thus less fuel burned. Prior to the scandal that found VW's cheating to result in a NOx creation of an extra 40 parts per million, diesel was considered by the Europeans (who are much more conscious about the environment than we are in the US) to be "environmentally friendlier." Hence the disparity in the cost of diesel versus petrol in Europe (taxes for petrol much higher). Now after being caught cheating for 40 ppm of NOx, the EU claims diesel is bad for the environment and wants diesel gone.....talk about a reaction. Reality is that anything burning fossil fuels is bad for the environment. Until they figure out fuel cell cars (even electric has to get its power from a source burning fossil fuels unless from a nuclear plant), we are polluting. Again, I believe it's a wash and an overreaction. If VW had been honest up front, there'd probably be no problem.

Quick Reply: Gas vs Diesel? Which to Buy