Sponsored By:

Warranty options buying pre-owned privately or non-Porsche dealer

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 08:25 PM
importtuner
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 71 Posts
Default Warranty options buying pre-owned privately or non-Porsche dealer

Is it possible to certify a Porsche purchased either privately or from a non-Porsche dealership and take advantage of the extended warranty services that the Porsche Approved Certified Preowned Program offers? Do Porsche dealerships offer this program for vehicles not purchased through them? If not, what are some options?
Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

CPO can be transferred from a private seller.. otherwise I have read CarMax extended warranty is quite good if you buy a car from them
Old 02-26-2018, 09:04 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

If the car is not already CPO, only the dealer can certify it

in 25+ years, I have seen some dealer do a CPO on a car not purchased from said dealer, but those were exceptions and a favor to some very high dollar repeat customers

If buying from a private dealer, you should remember a few things.

Cars that end up at auto auctions for Carmax, private Dealer to purchase, were cars that in most cases were rejected by Porsche dealer (upon trade in) for the CPO program. That could be due to missing service history, an accident or something else. Dealers LOVE to CPO these cars because of the extra bloated price a CPO car carries, so if a dealer passed on an opportunity to CPO, its something to consider.
People will tell you that the most expensive porsche you will buy is a cheap porsche, and that is true in most cases

If you have no choice but to buy from a private dealer, I wouldnt buy any warranty except Zurich, Allstate, Fidelity or Carmax. Extended warranty is a scam industry and never trust the creative names like Platinum plus etc. Pay for a good name brand and trusted warranty or you will be kicking yourself.

good luck
Old 02-26-2018, 11:06 AM
importtuner
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 71 Posts

Thank you for the responses guys. A buddy of mine sent me a link of a 958.2 '16 Cayenne S he was interested in purchasing. It was a one-owner trade-in at a MB dealership. It had about 19k miles and was going for about $10k less than what I've seen at Porsche dealerships, comparably equipped. The warranty on it is the standard one remaining. It seemed like a very good deal and the carfax was clean, although we all know that in itself never tells you the full story. I prefer buying through Porsche and put trust in their CPO process. I personally would never buy a pre-owned Porsche from anywhere but a Porsche dealer. That's just me, however the savings from going outside the dealer is substantial. If a good CPO-like warranty can be purchased separately, it could be a good reason to shop outside the dealers. I've always been weary of these 3rd party warranty companies, so this is why i ask.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:11 AM
desmotesta
Rennlist Member

Received 1,957 Likes on 935 Posts

I would actually prefer a good 4-5 yr plan Vs a 2 yr CPO plan

A Zurich or Fidelity warranty has same coverage as CPO, but for 3 years longer than CPO.

CPO is great of you plan to keep the car for just 2-3 yrs, and horrible if you plan to keep the car fo r4-6 yrs because it expires just when the repairs are on the horizon. They trick people with the 100K mile slogan but most people will never hit that mark in 2 yrs. and when CPO expires, you are left with a 70K-80K mile car with No coverage and , every aftermarket warranty company will charge $8000-$10,000 for further coverage
Old 02-26-2018, 12:27 PM
mrhebert
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 48 Posts

I bought a 2015 Macan S, CPO, with 1 year remaining on the original factory warranty, and two more years added warranty on the CPO. I believe that most of the problems will be resolved during that 6 year period. You will always have repairs and maintenance to perform if you keep a vehicle longer than the factory warranty. I'm just betting that any major problem will have been resolved in that 6 year period.

Quick Reply: Warranty options buying pre-owned privately or non-Porsche dealer