Chassis System Failure and Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 01:46 PM
captain911
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Chassis System Failure and Cold Weather

Hello,

Any chance the intermittent Chassis System Failure in my 2012 CTT is related to the cold weather we are having in Maryland?

Anyone else having the same issue?

Thanks.

Tim
Old 01-05-2018, 02:30 PM
Gages
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I get a 4 Wheel Drive System Fault Indicator on my 06 Cayenne S when it is super cold in NY. And it is super cold in NY......
Old 01-06-2018, 12:08 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,988 Likes on 1,772 Posts

Got it twice driving back from Seattle this holiday season. Stop the car, turn off the motor ands start back up. Its just a glitch that we live with
Old 01-06-2018, 12:35 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you have air suspension? It may start to misbehave in cold weather, can be a sign of developing problem. You can try to ask the dealer for the nitrogen reload for the suspension.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:23 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I have an air suspension. Last year, I drove through a big puddle and that killed the some electrical box that controlled the suspension. Had it replaced. Now last week on my christmas vacation, weather was very cold and the light came on twice. All i did was pull over to the side of the road, turn the car off and restart it. All good. The second time on about 5 days later it did it again, and I once again pulled over and restarted. All good and now back in So cal and no issues.

Oops, that last reply wasn't meant for me. Ohh well, I typed this up so I'll sit post anyways.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:44 PM
captain911
Racer

Thanks for the replies.

Yes my P!G has air suspension. Like RAudi Driver, if I stop and restart the P!G it resets and appears to work.

Goes in Wednesday for this issue, windshield washer issues (sometimes doesn’t work and two of the passenger side nozzles don’t work. Maybe frozen windshield washer fluid.) and a crunching sound in the passenger side front when turning left when the car is cold.

Thank God for the CPO.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:48 PM
Joel 67
Racer

I have had the same issues as others, fault light only on a single, bitterly cold day. Next restart cleared it. I have PASM and PDCC
Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM
TWalk
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hello all, was looking for an update on your issue as I now have it. I have a 2011 CTT (PVT&PDCC), Our area was hit with a little snow storm so I raised the CTT to the Terrain setting. The following 2 days our area was hit with below 0 temps for highs and double digit below temps at night and left it parked outside. Didn’t touch the CTT for 2 days. When I went to drive off after sitting, got the failure message. Got out and looked, and the front looks like it’s in loading mode, while the rear looks like it’s in normal mode. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by TWalk; 01-23-2019 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Model and year added
Old 01-23-2019, 01:42 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

I think this problem is due to air in the system. I think a nitrogen change and having that silica dryer refreshed or at least looked at would solve the issue.
Old 01-23-2019, 06:25 PM
Tryfon
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the issue yesterday morning in the NE (Near Maryland). Once the car warmed up it was fine (car said 13* on dash, it sat out overnight).
Old 01-26-2019, 02:40 PM
TWalk
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the replies. Temps finally warmed up above freezing and I put in the the garage. Still no change. Pulled the fuses in the right panel:
2) PASM control unit and, 29) PSM control unit/PSM valves. Cycled the system on and off, then restarted the vehicle, the indicator lights by the switch came back on, switched it to low level and after a couple seconds displayed “low level reached “, then a couple seconds later the “chassis system failure” message returned. Took it to my independent guru and they kept it for a day inside then scanned it. Came back with all kinds of PSM faults and others.
00121 - Communication. PSM Control Unit No Signal
00129 - “ “
P1600 - “ “
U0414 - Wrong All Wheel Drive Control Unit (PTM) Signal Implousible

Transmission -
12810 - U012 No Communication with ABS brake Control Module

ABS -
05220D - Engine Control Unit, Faulty Memory Entries Present
051E04 - Communication with PASM Control Unit Disturbed

000125 PSM Activation by All Wheel Drive Control
00122 - Switch Off Condition Occurred
C12007 - Communication with PSM Control Unit
C12085 - Check PSM Control Unit Faulty Memory Content.
The vehicle drives fine with no other issues besides riding in loading mode (it seems) up front and I’d say normal mode in the rear. All these dang faults tho have me perplexed? It goes in to the dealer Jan. 29. Wish me luck, think I’m gonna need it. Will post an update after dealer trip.
Old 01-26-2019, 04:23 PM
Ghost Ryder
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sad that our Porsche are so fragile. I left my ctt at home when I went on a ski trip this winter because I was afraid of the air suspension failure. Didn’t want to shell out 12k if it ran into problems in the cold.
Old 01-29-2019, 05:38 PM
TWalk
Rennlist Member

Update: went into service today. Tech checked everything over and came back with the system needs an update. Appears that the cold weather has some effect on a valve within the air-suspension (strut). The update changes the parameters (I’m guessing) that controls how long the compressor tries to run before it shuts itself down and creates a fault. After update and re-calibration every thing is working properly and back to normal. They did give me quote for how much that new compressor would be parts and labor. Had me looking like a REALLY!!!!
Old 01-29-2019, 06:33 PM
onehot
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

How much did this update cost you TWALK?
Old 01-29-2019, 09:49 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by TWalk
Update: went into service today. Tech checked everything over and came back with the system needs an update. Appears that the cold weather has some effect on a valve within the air-suspension (strut). The update changes the parameters (I’m guessing) that controls how long the compressor tries to run before it shuts itself down and creates a fault. After update and re-calibration every thing is working properly and back to normal. They did give me quote for how much that new compressor would be parts and labor. Had me looking like a REALLY!!!!
The receipt from your dealer should have the update tech bulletin number on it - can you check and share that with us - so those of us who have a dealer playing dumb can give them the number to look up?
TIA!

Quick Reply: Chassis System Failure and Cold Weather