Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Joining the family tomorrow (12/27)

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 12:14 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Joining the family tomorrow (12/27)

Just got confirmation that it's mine.. I fly out tomorrow morning to bring 'er home! 2016 pre-owned CD, 44k miles, Midnight Blue / black, Premium plus, 20" RS Spyder wheels, pano roof, Infotainment, and hitch. Since it was sold before the stop-sale, I got the extra 2 years of CPO warranty. This is my first P-car, and the silver lining of dieselgate for me was the added CPO warranty, which adds quite a bit of value and put the total price of this car not much higher than the "sensible" alternative (Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel / Touraeg).

First order of business... what to do about the holes in the bumper when I take the front license plate mount off?

Old 12-26-2017, 12:32 PM
TXCOMT
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't answer the question about holes (although for a stop-gap solution you may want to consider some generic auto trim "buttons" or such), but I have to say I love seeing that CD sitting on dirt and weeds instead of asphalt...how apropos!

Oh, and congrats!

TXCOMT
Old 12-26-2017, 12:46 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by Eskimo1
Just got confirmation that it's mine.. I fly out tomorrow morning to bring 'er home! 2016 pre-owned CD, 44k miles, Midnight Blue / black, Premium plus, 20" RS Spyder wheels, pano roof, Infotainment, and hitch. Since it was sold before the stop-sale, I got the extra 2 years of CPO warranty. This is my first P-car, and the silver lining of dieselgate for me was the added CPO warranty, which adds quite a bit of value and put the total price of this car not much higher than the "sensible" alternative (Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel / Touraeg).

First order of business... what to do about the holes in the bumper when I take the front license plate mount off?
Eskimo,

Congrats on the purchase of one fine lookin’ PiG. As for the front license plate holes, you have a few options depending on your level of OCD:

1) The easiest solution is a set of bumper plugs: https://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=1_11. It’s a cheap and cheerful solution, and if you’re gonna take your PiG off-road it’s probably a great solution. These hide 80% of the nasty holes that got drilled into your bumper, but you will always know they’re there. I opted for this solution on my 2010 911 4S Cab when I bought it CPO’d in 2013 as a short term solution.

2) The best (long-term) solution is to have the holes filled and the whole thing resprayed. It will look perfect (therefore satisfying any voices in your head), but it costs a lot more than a set of bumper plugs. I ended up doing this along with a whole front front-end respray and front end Xpel film application on my 911 when I had enough road rash to warrant this bigger (more costly) solution.

Good luck on your decision, and post up pics with whatever you decide to do on this in addition to the LONG list of mods that this group of Porschephiles will strongly urge you to do first (clear side markers, quad exhaust tips, carbon fiber interior, exhaust mods, etc. etc. etc.)
Old 12-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Good luck on your decision, and post up pics with whatever you decide to do on this in addition to the LONG list of mods that this group of Porschephiles will strongly urge you to do first (clear side markers, quad exhaust tips, carbon fiber interior, exhaust mods, etc. etc. etc.)
Thanks for the link on the plugs - I'll definitely do that in the short term, and we'll see how much it drives me nuts. (There are so many little sensors and covers on the lower valence that it might not bother me much...maybe)
Funny you mention clear side markers - I haven't found any for the 958.2 yet, but I'm IN if there are some available! I'll probably smoke the rear ones in the short-term as well..
The quad tips are already on my list of goodies as soon as my current rig sells! I already grabbed up some cup holder inserts from a member here, and the Rennline cell phone mount is enroute. Narrowing down a set of all-weather mats and a cargo mat, too. Many choices.

I'm sure you fine folks will help me find more items that are a "must have".. My birthday is coming up, so suggest away!
Old 12-26-2017, 06:08 PM
EpiKAC
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Some will consider it heresy, but you could always also keep the front bracket in place and throw on a black or chrome Porsche plate in the holder. It's not ideal, but better than holes or plugs as far as I'm concerned.

Congrats on the PiG!
Old 12-26-2017, 08:58 PM
Wheel Dynamics
Former Vendor

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Welcome to the Cayenne family, what a blast they are, the Spyder wheels are definitely the best optioned 20" the Cayenne has to offer.

But if you ever want to check out other options just give us a call....

Once again welcome,
Old 12-26-2017, 09:59 PM
importtuner
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts

great combo, especially with the premium plus package and wheels.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:38 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Good luck with your CD. Great car.
Old 12-27-2017, 11:10 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

When you join PCA you can get a club plug for the trailer hitch.

https://www.pcawebstore.com/products/105219
Old 12-27-2017, 05:25 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 416 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by wkearney99
When you join PCA you can get a club plug for the trailer hitch.

https://www.pcawebstore.com/products/105219
Dang it .... I went to the PCA website to check out the $24 trailer hitch covers, and will now be taking delivery of a $60 Eddie Bauer fleece vest with some sweet PCA and Porsche logos. I really need to work on my online shopping discipline
Old 12-27-2017, 08:52 PM
NM912E
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

Was the car a lease return? If so you may be eligible for the full settlement amount . If it was leased through anyone other than VWoA my understanding is that it is eligible to you the owner and not the lease holder who traded it in. I just bought one and we will be receiving the full amount so that's a 11.5K effective price reduction . The circumstances on our CD are probably similar to yours since these cars are now coming off lease.

This may all be old news to you but if not don't take it to the dealer for the update if one has not been done until you meet all the requirements for the VWoA settlement (see link) https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/3-0-models/ , you can go in now and register your VIN as well as the other required information such as the buyers order or sales contract and see if something is available to you.

Great car by the way and you will Love it !
Old 12-28-2017, 11:49 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 202 Likes on 139 Posts

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Dang it .... I went to the PCA website to check out the $24 trailer hitch covers, and will now be taking delivery of a $60 Eddie Bauer fleece vest with some sweet PCA and Porsche logos. I really need to work on my online shopping discipline
Heh, that's what you get for coming to an enthusiast website. Exist addicts are glad to infect newbies.

Make sure when you order genuine Porsche materials you check the sizing. Euro sizes are one smaller than US. XXL euro = XL us. The sizing is pretty accurate, at least for men's and ladies shirts.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:02 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

OK, so although my experience with the selling dealer (not a p-car dealer) wasn't the best,I got it,and have since put 1300miles on her... WHAT A CAR!! Smooth,quiet, not afraid of corners (as much as a 5k lb vehicle with a CoG this high can be),and a perfect tuning of "taut". So,here come the questions!

1: Is getting a keyfob from ebay or another site and having the dealer program it into the car a crapshoot, or pretty much an OK way to do it? The dealer accepted this in with only one fob,and that fob doesn't even have the emergency key in it!! I'd guess the Porsche dealer will have to get a key cut.
2: What's the Rennlist favorite for all weather mats? (front,rear,and cargo area - I do not have the cargo management system) Something shaped to hold water in and not let it spill onto the carpet preferred.
3: Along with the keys,it seems the previous owner may have pocketed a few other souvenirs..
3a: In the hatch,there's a compartment.. what goes here,the warning triangle?
3b: In the spare tire well, passenger's side,is there supposed to be something here as well?

Compartment inside the hatch

Passenger's side spare tire well
Old 12-31-2017, 03:43 AM
Expat444
Advanced

Welcome!
I'm a month ahead of you so I can answer the easy ones
1) Me too, I'm not sure where all these second keys are going but I need one too.
2) Don't know as I live in California so we don't get real weather
3a) Yes that's where the warning triangle went, you can get cheap ones off eBay but they tend to be too long to fit in the specific slot, Porsche ones are around $70-80.
3b) That's where the Porsche fix-a-flat bottle was, mine was missing too, you can get them from the dealer or eBay.
Enjoy
Old 12-31-2017, 03:47 AM
Expat444
Advanced

OK, so although my experience with the selling dealer (not a p-car dealer) wasn't the best,I got it,and have since put 1300miles on her... WHAT A CAR!! Smooth,quiet, not afraid of corners (as much as a 5k lb vehicle with a CoG this high can be),and a perfect tuning of "taut". So,here come the questions!

1: Is getting a keyfob from ebay or another site and having the dealer program it into the car a crapshoot, or pretty much an OK way to do it? The dealer accepted this in with only one fob,and that fob doesn't even have the emergency key in it!! I'd guess the Porsche dealer will have to get a key cut.
2: What's the Rennlist favorite for all weather mats? (front,rear,and cargo area - I do not have the cargo management system) Something shaped to hold water in and not let it spill onto the carpet preferred.
3: Along with the keys,it seems the previous owner may have pocketed a few other souvenirs..
3a: In the hatch,there's a compartment.. what goes here,the warning triangle?
3b: In the spare tire well, passenger's side,is there supposed to be something here as well?

Compartment inside the hatch

Passenger's side spare tire well
Thanks for the link on the plugs - I'll definitely do that in the short term, and we'll see how much it drives me nuts. (There are so many little sensors and covers on the lower valence that it might not bother me much...maybe)
Funny you mention clear side markers - I haven't found any for the 958.2 yet, but I'm IN if there are some available! I'll probably smoke the rear ones in the short-term as well..
The quad tips are already on my list of goodies as soon as my current rig sells! I already grabbed up some cup holder inserts from a member here, and the Rennline cell phone mount is enroute. Narrowing down a set of all-weather mats and a cargo mat, too. Many choices.

I'm sure you fine folks will help me find more items that are a "must have".. My birthday is coming up, so suggest away!
Sun Coast Porsche has clear side markers plus a bunch of other useful accessories, $70: https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/958SM.html

Quick Reply: Joining the family tomorrow (12/27)