Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Diesel Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:55 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't have air suspension on my Ram 2500 and have towed at max GCWR with no issues. I haven't towed with a CD, but can't imagine there would be any issue with not having air suspension (have 2 CDs, neither with air and wouldn't hesitate to tow with them).
Old 12-22-2017, 01:24 PM
MJG911
Three Wheelin'

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

not really an issue, other than cosmetic. The rear end sagged a bit when I towed with our 13 w/o air. the 15 with levels itself, but the actual towing performance feels about the same.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:37 AM
importtuner
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 71 Posts

How are the diesels in highway driving and passing; between 60-85 mph? Seems a little sluggish, no?
Old 12-23-2017, 03:09 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,622 Likes on 1,630 Posts

Originally Posted by MJG911
It's my wifes favorite car ever too!
Ditto. Dieselgate had her scared poopless that I was going to take her baby away. She loves it and I have to agree, it's fantastic. Drives like a Porsche, gets great mileage and very decent performance for the economy. It's not a turbo but literally gets double the MPG and more than enough unless you are a speed demon. We have driven ours on 5 trips of 2500 miles round trip and it's actually getting stronger as the miles go.
Old 12-23-2017, 03:13 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by importtuner
How are the diesels in highway driving and passing; between 60-85 mph? Seems a little sluggish, no?
on the highway, no. It's fine and actually great how it surges forward on the wave of torque.

If you need to make a 65 to 80 pass on a back road, like in a passing zone, there you will need to plan. There are several spots on our drive to Colorado where there are passing zones on a two lane road with a 60 posted limit. I use them often. Sport mode helps but you may feel a little weak up there. But this is four up, loaded with luggage, and at 8,000 plus feet of altitude. On the highway, I never give it another thought and I'm a bit of a lead foot
Old 12-23-2017, 03:17 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 530 Likes on 358 Posts

Thoughts on buying the little brother (VW Touareg TDI) instead? Alot easier to find the Touareg vs the Cayenne diesel...
Old 12-23-2017, 03:47 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docwyte
Thoughts on buying the little brother (VW Touareg TDI) instead? Alot easier to find the Touareg vs the Cayenne diesel...
Very nice vehicle. Vs a Cayenne you lose some lux options like cooled seats (at least in 2014 not sure if added later) and more leather, optional LED lights, etc. Also, smaller brakes and the ride / steering / handling is not quite as athletic. But still way more athletic than say an MDX or Highlander.

We looked hard at a Touraeg TDI lux when we bought the Cayenne but knowing we would keep it 6 years plus and being able to custom order some items, we went with the Cayenne and don't regret it.

Used? Hell of a vehicle if the price is good.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:24 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Only sunroof in a Touareg is the Pano roof. Only way not to get it is to buy the base model. Argh! Don't want the pano roof! Otherwise it seems like a Touareg "Executive" is a nice option to the Cayenne. As always, since Porsche are optioned so ala carte, its hard to find one with the options I want and missing the options I don't want.

I'm intrigued by the economy of the diesel but wonder if it's going to capture my attention long enough, especially coming off the power of my CTTS...
Old 12-25-2017, 03:22 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 315 Likes on 263 Posts

The CD is the perfect all around daily commuter and utilitarian crossover. It does not blow your socks off but it just does everything well. CD is not for you if you want a performance oriented vehicle. It will do 110MPH all day long but the way it gets there is different.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:29 PM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

+1
Old 12-26-2017, 12:57 PM
Eskimo1
Burning Brakes

Received 108 Likes on 76 Posts

Only sunroof in a Touareg is the Pano roof. Only way not to get it is to buy the base model. Argh! Don't want the pano roof! Otherwise it seems like a Touareg "Executive" is a nice option to the Cayenne. As always, since Porsche are optioned so ala carte, its hard to find one with the options I want and missing the options I don't want.
They're out there, unless you want air suspension, then it's like finding hen's teeth (Though there is one in West Palm Beach, FL - a '15, premium package, with PASM).. I did shop the T-reg executive and they are optioned nicely, but the added CPO warranty with the CD is appealing and adds quite a bit of value in my eyes. Good luck on your hunt!
Old 12-31-2017, 09:17 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

I'll say it until I either no longer have my CD, or it eventually gets replaced but the motor in the CD is awesome, along with the x-mission, and everything else about the Cayenne. It is just an awesome vehicle. I say this as I've been making a 250 mile roundtrip up north to go snowbiking the past few weekends and the truck performs so well.

It was -15F yesterday morning. Key up, wait for the glowplug light to flash itself off in mere seconds, and the 3.0L turbo diesel engine lights itself off just about instantly. Where, unfortunately, in every other of my brother in law's diesel engines would not start, we're talking every one of his tractors, and all of his trucks, none of the diesels started. The CD, no problem.

For me, when I driving with either of the trailers I have, it is the motors ability to get everything moving with no effort and just about no sound. Even after the fix, it has been two full weeks since I got the truck back from the repair, but the truck is exactly the same as it was before but I have $10,000 more than I had before-yay! No matter the load, between the 400+ ft lbs of torque, and the sweet, unobtrusive 8-speed, everything is so smooth and carefree. My drive up the mountains-we're talking NH and VT here, not out west, I notice many other vehicles that are not using cruse control, always slow down going up the long uphill grades while in the CD, I can leave traffic behind as the motor will pull without making sound as again, the motor is so sweet. It is no wonder VWoA cheated, they wanted to put their motors in the people's hands to enjoy, at whatever cost, THANK YOU VWoA!!!!

I can't even get into handling or braking or ride as we all know that the Cayenne is at the top of the heap when it comes down to it. It is just that, to me, to have the perfect diesel powerplant, then get me from 20-22 mpg towing my snowmobile trailer at 70-75 mph down the highway, I get about 22-23 on the 30-50 mph roads, having a big range and not worrying about running out of fuel is a big deal to me.
Old 12-31-2017, 11:33 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Dealer released the 15-16 CD's near me, but none have the air suspension. Booo! Also, almost all of them have the pano roof. What really kills it for me tho is they're selling 2-3 year old cars, many with 20k miles on them for only a $10k discount.
Think I'm going to get a Touareg instead, since I can't find air suspension at that point they're basically the same vehicles, but I can save another $15k on the VW.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:11 PM
visitador
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 101 Posts

Think I'm going to get a Touareg instead, since I can't find air suspension at that point they're basically the same vehicles, but I can save another $15k on the VW.
I don't think so. It is not like buying a Lincoln version of a Ford. Well just go out and test them both. Only you can decide whether the additional $ is worth it. I do
Old 12-31-2017, 02:30 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by BenCD
I'll say it until I either no longer have my CD, or it eventually gets replaced but the motor in the CD is awesome, along with the x-mission, and everything else about the Cayenne. It is just an awesome vehicle. I say this as I've been making a 250 mile roundtrip up north to go snowbiking the past few weekends and the truck performs so well.

It was -15F yesterday morning. Key up, wait for the glowplug light to flash itself off in mere seconds, and the 3.0L turbo diesel engine lights itself off just about instantly. Where, unfortunately, in every other of my brother in law's diesel engines would not start, we're talking every one of his tractors, and all of his trucks, none of the diesels started. The CD, no problem.

For me, when I driving with either of the trailers I have, it is the motors ability to get everything moving with no effort and just about no sound. Even after the fix, it has been two full weeks since I got the truck back from the repair, but the truck is exactly the same as it was before but I have $10,000 more than I had before-yay! No matter the load, between the 400+ ft lbs of torque, and the sweet, unobtrusive 8-speed, everything is so smooth and carefree. My drive up the mountains-we're talking NH and VT here, not out west, I notice many other vehicles that are not using cruse control, always slow down going up the long uphill grades while in the CD, I can leave traffic behind as the motor will pull without making sound as again, the motor is so sweet. It is no wonder VWoA cheated, they wanted to put their motors in the people's hands to enjoy, at whatever cost, THANK YOU VWoA!!!!

I can't even get into handling or braking or ride as we all know that the Cayenne is at the top of the heap when it comes down to it. It is just that, to me, to have the perfect diesel powerplant, then get me from 20-22 mpg towing my snowmobile trailer at 70-75 mph down the highway, I get about 22-23 on the 30-50 mph roads, having a big range and not worrying about running out of fuel is a big deal to me.
Woah, there, Ben... put down the egg nog!

VW doesn't care about getting these things in people's hands... they care about getting people's money in their pockets. Let's not forget that for even a second; there was/is no altruistic motivation going on here. Nor is it the perfect powerplant. It's damn good, but I'm not sure I'd call it perfect. Perhaps perfect in the segment, as a package - at least when we tested all the others; haven't tried the RR, though. All the 3.0l diesels out there were/are very good engines, though.

Quick Reply: Diesel Cayenne