Roof Rack Question

Old 12-01-2017, 01:16 AM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roof Rack Question

Hello everyone,
Picked up a 2015 CS back in July. It has the pano roof without the factory roof rails. I'm trying to figure out whether there is a combination of crossbars/cargo box that, when installed, will still let me park in my garage. I can find cargo box specs but I can't find any info on the distance from the top-of-roof to the top-of-crossbar for the bars I'm considering. I'm zeroing in on the clean look of the Rhino Rack RS 2500 Aero bars as the bars do not overhang the end mounts. Whispbar makes a similar aero unit as well that is flush with the mounts. (With Thule you are forced to buy longer bars which extend past the mounts unless you have the factory roof rails). Does anyone have either the Rhino or Whispbar aero crossbars on a 958? If so would you be willing to measure from top-of-roof to top-of-bar? Ideally, this would be done on each bar at the midpoint (e.g. centerline of the vehicle). Or, if anyone knows where to find the specs on these bars, I would greatly appreciate it. I have made some inquiries to the manufacturers but have not yet received a response.
Thank you,
Kevin
Old 12-03-2017, 11:11 AM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the load rating of the bars/mounts you are looking at. When I looked back in 12 I found it was only about 100lbs compared to the factory system supporting 200. Depending on the box you are using, that can eat up a good chunk of the 100lb limit.

I have heard of some people successfully getting the factory rails installed by a dealer (one in Seattle is the case I know the most about), but more get "no" as their answer. You might look into that as an option too.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:43 PM
Cbst09
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in the process of purchasing some factory roof crossbars and I will put my Yakima skybox 16 on it. Once I do that in the next few weeks I'll send a photo and measurements.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:22 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

I heard back from Rhino. Their cross bars add 3.5" to the height of the vehicle. Thule makes a low profile box which will work work with these bars and leave me an inch clearance.
This will work for skis, boots and a few extras when the four of us head to the mtns.

I prefer the look of a naked roof so am only interested in this "temporary" solution rather than searching a dealer willing to install the factory rails. Load capacity is not an issue as I'm not looking to carry a lot of weight.

Thanks for the input.
Kevin
Old 12-06-2017, 11:57 AM
element
Pro

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Here is my Thule aerobar setup delivering our tree - i also put a thule force box on top and there is enough clearance to open the pano roof
Old 12-06-2017, 12:09 PM
kuramalt
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

I am in the same boat, looking for an answer. Naked roof with Pano sunroof, no factory rails.

I was looking into Whispbars, but suddenly I thought whether it would be a problem with the frame. I am talking about the total weight clamps to the frame with a Roof top box.

Yeah, at the time of the purchase. I never thought snow sport is my thing until I got hooked 2 month later. FML.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:08 PM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We had Yakima racks on our previous SUV and put them on our CD 'Otis' They are not robust enough for what we do. Looking to replace our racks with Front Runner as these are well built and versatile with many options. https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.com/en/us/
We did look at Rhino, Gobi and other racks, Front Runner seems to be the best for us.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:36 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by kuramalt

Yeah, at the time of the purchase. I never thought snow sport is my thing until I got hooked 2 month later. FML.
You can always get a hitch mounted carrier
Old 12-10-2017, 11:44 PM
AndrewWK
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Rhino setup and I use it on both my pano and standard roof Cayennes. I don't have it mounted right now, so I can't get you any measurements, but I posted some photos in a previous thread here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14192100

Originally Posted by KM
I heard back from Rhino. Their cross bars add 3.5" to the height of the vehicle. Thule makes a low profile box which will work work with these bars and leave me an inch clearance.
This will work for skis, boots and a few extras when the four of us head to the mtns.

I prefer the look of a naked roof so am only interested in this "temporary" solution rather than searching a dealer willing to install the factory rails. Load capacity is not an issue as I'm not looking to carry a lot of weight.

Thanks for the input.
Kevin
Old 12-17-2017, 04:47 PM
John Young
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi KM,

I had a similar set of questions but went a grabbed the whispbars. Honestly they are great looking bars and I have them on a c-class as well. Whispbar was bought by Yakima so the prices during the rebranding make them a great deal. I snagged the last set on Amazon of the S28 bars on prime and picked up the K527 foot set for a total of about $305 shipped. Not bad for the bars with no overhang.
So- I have a panoroof- and no factory rails, so I plan to take them off most of the year and store them. The clearance from bar to roof is 5.7cm. I just measured it. I think the pano might clear but I'm not even going to try. With a roof box on- that drops down even maybe only 2cm of clearance so it would be impossible to open for sure. Depends on the box, but this was on a Thule box.Overall- is still buy these again considering the price. Fit perfect- and better looking than the dorky bars, or square ones for $400+.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:12 PM
KM
Addict
Rennlist Member

As luck would have it the vendor I ordered my Rhino bars from didn't actually have them in stock and they wouldn't be able to ship in time for my upcoming trip so had to cancel. Couldn't find them anywhere else within my time constraints but was able to find a set of the Whispbars (with a large discount no less). Bars arrived yesterday and look like a great product. Was a bit concerned since the Whispbar website shows compatible with my CS but none of the various retailer websites do. (not even Yakima's website). Good to hear it does indeed fit and work well.

Should have the fit kit and cargo box early this week, then can get it mounted.
Km

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Roof Rack Question