Sponsored By:

Blinker stalk

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 11:26 PM
ssquare14
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinker stalk

I love everything about my 2012 S with the exception of the radio-on upon startup and the blinker stalk.

The "soft-push" (4-blinks) for lane changing is great, but does anyone else feel like something snaps on their blinker stalk every time they use a "hard-push" to keep the blinker on? (at a red light for example)

Curious if this is specific to my car. Seems odd since everything else is so refined.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:11 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

The blinker stalk does have a somewhat odd feel to it. Not bad, but perhaps more revealing of it's VAG parts bin sourcing than one might wish.

As for the radio, do you have the memory key option? If so, set your radio/seat/ac the way you like it, tap the SET button and then the key button. I believe that would remember the current settings and store them for the next time the key is used to start the vehicle.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:35 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Its the same blinker stalk Porsche have been using since 964 or maybe older. It has been proven to be reliable. What's wrong with it?
Old 10-11-2017, 10:40 AM
ssquare14
Track Day

Originally Posted by wkearney99
The blinker stalk does have a somewhat odd feel to it. Not bad, but perhaps more revealing of it's VAG parts bin sourcing than one might wish.

As for the radio, do you have the memory key option? If so, set your radio/seat/ac the way you like it, tap the SET button and then the key button. I believe that would remember the current settings and store them for the next time the key is used to start the vehicle.

I have memory seats and mirrors, but unless I'm mistaken I don't think I have the memory key option
Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 AM
ssquare14
Track Day

Originally Posted by chsu74
Its the same blinker stalk Porsche have been using since 964 or maybe older. It has been proven to be reliable. What's wrong with it?
It functions, but it is not comfortable. When I want the blinker to stay on it and push it up or down (past the 4-blink Lane) its very rigid and not smooth at all. It's almost feels like a small piece of plastic snaps inside the stalk when it clicks into position.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:55 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by ssquare14
It functions, but it is not comfortable. When I want the blinker to stay on it and push it up or down (past the 4-blink Lane) its very rigid and not smooth at all. It's almost feels like a small piece of plastic snaps inside the stalk when it clicks into position.
Its Signature Porsche. That is how they make them.
Old 10-11-2017, 12:47 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

I have memory seats and mirrors, but unless I'm mistaken I don't think I have the memory key option
Do you have the memory buttons on the front doors? If so - you have memory key option.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:49 PM
ssquare14
Track Day

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Do you have the memory buttons on the front doors? If so - you have memory key option.
That's great news, I do have the memory buttons on the door! I had no idea I could use them to set the radio function! When I asked the service manager about the radio issue he said it was so that backup camera would be active.. Apparently he doesn't know either.

To set the memory function do I just turn off the radio with the car started and hold the memory button? Do I need to do it with each key in the ignition?
Old 10-11-2017, 07:45 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

That's great news, I do have the memory buttons on the door! I had no idea I could use them to set the radio function! When I asked the service manager about the radio issue he said it was so that backup camera would be active.. Apparently he doesn't know either.

To set the memory function do I just turn off the radio with the car started and hold the memory button? Do I need to do it with each key in the ignition?
I can't say which years handle the features, but the typical way to do it is set everything as you like it then hit the SET button and then the position you're storing. 1, 2 or with the currently controlling Key.

You can store settings to each key independently. The one that unlocks the vehicle will trigger it's settings (which can be unpredictable if you have both present using comfort entry). As in, the door handle senses presence, but the antennas in the pillars/tailgate may not necessarily see that handle user's key 'first'. So it's best to stick with only having one of the keys present, or have the driver use the unlock button on the key FIRST. Which is how you'd do it without Comfort Entry. Just a little quirk to keep in mind before getting frustrated about "where did my settings go?"
Old 10-11-2017, 08:42 PM
Needsdecaf
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,620 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Its Signature Porsche. That is how they make them.
It sucks. Feels like it’s broken. Both my 991 and my Cayenne do it.

The new Panamera does not. Finally.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:08 PM
nstar8
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah...The whole Cayenne feels like quality engineered items...except for the cheap turn stalk. That's the first thing I noticed when I purchased my 12 TT...the turn stalk in my CTSV was waaay better...Actually most of my other cars were better.

I always wondered why Porsche would use such a "cheap" feeling item...

Quick Reply: Blinker stalk