Sponsored By:

Auto-folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 10:11 PM
coletrain
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rbradleysd
Has anyone found a way to program the mirrors on our 958's to fold automatically like most other luxury brands do? I came from Audi and totally miss the auto-fold mirrors. I've heard they are capable in other markets but not the US so I'm wondering if anybody's figured a way to program it
I had an Audi too, reading all of this.... and just going out to hit the lock button on the remote for an extra second.... and it works!!! Mirrors folded. Ahhhh.

Old 07-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,659 Likes on 4,232 Posts

That's just going to wear out the motors and they don't stick out that far. I'd only use them when parked really tight and you need them folded in rather than every time.
Old 07-26-2024, 12:09 AM
coletrain
Advanced

I dont care about "wearing out the motor." One could say not exercising the motor could cause it to lock up as well as it could seize in place from lack of use. I think it would be good practice to fold them at your leisure..once in a while..if so inclined. I want my Cayenne the way I want it- I cant worry about every single part wearing out- I want those things folded when I want them folded and now I know how to do it thanks to this thread. When I looked at my old audi from a distance and the mirrors were folded, I knew it was locked...now I can get the same visual reference by holding the lock button a little more. But I know mirrors/motors on Porsches are $$$$ so I get it when you say not wanting to wear it out.
Old 07-26-2024, 01:08 PM
coletrain
Advanced

It was dark enough this morning due to the clouds.

Side note, I went to unlock the Cayenne this morning and saw the folded mirrors. When I hit unlock I noticed there are "welcome" lights that illuminated below the mirrors. I never noticed that when unfolded. Not sure if they come on when folded/unfolded but probably both as long as its dark enough out.

Looks like when you use the lock button to fold and lock, they return automatically once you get going. Good stuff
Old 07-27-2024, 02:19 PM
jl-c
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Get the Ali-express module that closes the tailgate from the remote. It also closes the sunroof and the windows and folds the mirrors when you push the button to lock on the remote.
Old 07-27-2024, 02:47 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by jl-c
Get the Ali-express module that closes the tailgate from the remote. It also closes the sunroof and the windows and folds the mirrors when you push the button to lock on the remote.
Be careful about this. I tried using one on my '17 Cayenne (that had keyless Entry and Drive) and it would not work. The plug-in module interfered with how the KESSY security system protected the vehicle. I got a lot of random messages about needing to put the key into the ignition. I took it out and the problems stopped. I'm guessing if your car DID NOT have keyless entry then maybe a module like that could work. But you'd be rolling the dice.

Now, as to other kinds of modules, like the SmartTop, that might not have the same problems, but it's nowhere near as cheap as the aliexpress units. I have one in my Targa for the top. I seem to recall it had other features, which might have included mirrors. But mine doesn't have the retracting mirrors, so I've never tried it.

Quick Reply: Auto-folding mirrors