Sponsored By:

Need help finding a 958 Turbo under $45k

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 12:42 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Wow guys, this is the tale of two rennlists. I just got done buying a 958 where everyone is pretty much singing the praises of how reliable these are. I'm naked on mine (and was on the 955) and my take was this 958 was going to allow me to keep some of my money, where the 955 wanted a few thousand every couple of months.

Maybe I'm unusual that I don't buy at (or past) my means so several-thousand dollar repair bills don't scare me, but I was sincerely under the impression the variocam bolts and transfer case were about all I had to worry about. One of which is now under recall and the other is frequently being fixed under goodwill. Do we need to give the "what to expect when buying a 958" thread a little (a lot) more love?
I don't think so - have you seen anything else expensive that's an endemic failure (most/many Cayennes needing it)? I haven't - yet - and I'm on 3 different Cayenne forums.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:56 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
I don't think so - have you seen anything else expensive that's an endemic failure (most/many Cayennes needing it)? I haven't - yet - and I'm on 3 different Cayenne forums.
Other than maybe PTV+ differentials, no. However, we just had 3 guys in a row stating/agreeing a warranty is a must as it has covered $1000's in repairs. That's just a totally different tune than I came across when soliciting info about the 958 before a purchase.
I just think if this is the advice being given to those interested in purchasing a 958, that info ought to be reflected in the sticky.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

The used '12 CTT from RI looks like a decent deal. The Porsche of Warrick dealer should be able to provide detailed service records. I was happy to later learn that the transfer case on mine had already been replaced under warranty. Mine's CPO until January 2018 and I was quoted $12,000 for two more years of Porsche CPO so I'll be going naked with deilenberger's iScan tool.

These cars are expensive to maintain....but they were more expensive to buy new. You're looking at an $80,000 discount on that one in RI (if it's in great condition). Would I have paid $4000 extra for this or that option when new? Probably not. But I have it and am willing to roll the dice and budget for an eye-watering repair bill down the road. There's a Rennlister with 300k+ miles on his 958 CTT. I'm hoping to join that club.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:12 AM
BenCD
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

This thead has necessitated this link/article, again:

http://www.automobilemag.com/news/dy...ine-year-itch/
Old 07-26-2017, 11:51 AM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by AGARubberDuck
Other than maybe PTV+ differentials, no. However, we just had 3 guys in a row stating/agreeing a warranty is a must as it has covered $1000's in repairs.
So warranty covers dealership retail pricing. No different than going to the dealer and paying. DIY is different.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:56 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,156 Likes on 764 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
So warranty covers dealership retail pricing. No different than going to the dealer and paying. DIY is different.
That's the warranty-bet. You're betting the car is a POS and is going to require repairs in excess of the cost of the warranty (if the warranty company actually pays - which they don't always do..) The warranty company is betting that they know the repair costs of the vehicle they're covering (they have the numbers so good chance they do) and they can charge you more for the warranty then you'll collect from them. And that's not even considering that warranties have ~100% markup when sold through a dealer/agent - it's a big profit item for a dealer selling them.

Who do you think wins that bet? If the warranty company bets wrong too many times, then someone is fired, and eventually the company goes belly up leaving you with a worthless policy.

That's why I wouldn't add a suggestion to buy a warranty to the buyers guide to 958's. It's different with CPO. The cost vs coverage is reasonable (figure the CPO adds $2-3k to the price of the vehicle) - since Porsche basically provides you with a new car warranty for the term of the CPO. I would add the suggestion that a CPO car is worth more than a non-CPO car when you're looking at used Cayennes (and almost any other German car.)

If you've saved "thousands" on repairs via an extended warranty - compare that to the buy-in cost of the warranty. Chances are you haven't broken even.

My experience with extended warranties is mixed:
  • '87 BMW 535i - cost the warranty company about $10,000. Cost of the warranty to me - about $1,500 (it was a long time ago..) My bet paid off.
  • '91 BMW 525i - cost the warranty company about $1,800. The warranty cost me about $1,800 - a wash. Broke even.
  • '07 BMW R1200R (motorcycle) - cost the warranty company about $100. Cost of the warranty to me was around $350 - so that was a bad bet.
  • '11 Cayenne CTT - so far hasn't cost the warranty company anything. It's a long term warranty (5 years/100k miles) - cost was around $2,700. The game is still in play here - so no idea if it was a good or bad bet.

And on the CPO side:
  • '03 BMW 525iT - CPO eventually paid out about $2k in repairs. OK deal since it about matched the cost of the CPO when I purchased the vehicle.
  • '06 Cayenne /S - CPO paid out about $6,000 in repairs. That one was wonderful since I didn't pay for the CPO, it came with the vehicle, a former owner had paid for it and there was no additional charge for it.
  • '11 Lexus RX-350 - CPO paid for R&R of the engine to fix an oil leak (bad timing chain cover gasket) - no idea of the cost to Lexus, but had to be in the $2-3,000 range. Cost to me for the CPO - probably about $2k. It appears that one has been a wash (and it's now expired..)

So far - CPO seems the winner.

BTW - I'm going to copy this post to the buyers guide - since I don't feel like saying it all over again.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:18 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 314 Likes on 262 Posts

^ I think we are saying the same thing. These cars, overall, are reliable. Do things break? Yes but it is not model wide.
Old 07-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Joe,

Have you used the Durametic on the 958? I haven't plugged mine into the 958 except right after I got the CTT to reset an oil reminder. So - I can't speak as to how competent the Durametric really is with the 958. If you've used it - how much can it do - and what's missing that you think would be valuable?...

...Anyway - I found LOTS that I could do with the iCarScan, and it was invaluable for the troubleshooting I was doing, since I could watch the operation of the damper doors in the HVAC, I could activate various components in the system, and read out values including R134A pressure, evaporator temps, exterior temps, etc.. all of which are vital for that sort of diagnostics...

...My point here - which probably got lost - there are tools out there that the DIY'er can afford and use even with the 958...

...I've often said "The most expensive car you may own is a used German car out of warranty.." and while that doesn't apply to all of them - there are a certain number where that is true. CPO gives one some confidence that they won't be swatted with a big repair bill shortly after purchase (when it's REALLY hard to explain to the wife..)
No. I have only used it on my 955. The only thing I know about it is what I've read on here, and that is mostly the fact that the later cars (958.2?) have different coding that the Durametric folks haven't been able to crack.
That may have changed.

I hadn't really read much on the iCar Scan. I read up on the Durametric quite a bit before buying one.

It's good to know that there are tools available. My info may be lacking in some areas with the 958s.

And I fully agree on the CPO. It's a real possibility to see a large repair bill at any time. I went "cliff diving" with my 955, but I knew that:

A) I could afford a repair bill if needed.

B) I could repair most issues myself (or with some help).

C) I tried to educate myself on most of the typical issues and acquired a car that had extensive service records, and was dealer serviced it's entire life.
Old 07-26-2017, 10:51 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

I think CPO is not only the way to go but a great thing.

But not for $12,000.

Eeek.
Old 07-27-2017, 08:12 AM
TheUnscented
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRider
I think CPO is not only the way to go but a great thing.

But not for $12,000.

Eeek.
Yep. $12,000 for only two more years. Based on the experience of others on the Rennlist, I don't think I'll need anything close to that in the next 100,000 miles.

Other than the two Lexus GS350s I've bought for my wife and the balance of my CTT CPO warranty, I've never had a warranty on any car I've owned in 30 years of vehicles. But I've mostly owned Japanese and American cars. My current third car is an out-of-warranty V8 M3 which scares me more than the CTT. If I could buy a good warranty for a reasonable price, I would but it doesn't look possible. These forums are useful for discovering the risks (V8 Cayennes: Cam bolts (2011-12); transfer case, differential, coils), maintaining and finding parts. Electronics are a big question mark, not so much the parts but the diagnosis. I'll be buying the iScan tool that Deilenberger recommends. I think that if this thing costs me less than $8000 in repairs (repairs, not including maintenance) in the next five years, I'll be a happy camper.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:14 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

Ok, I've read up to post #40 in this thread,... and agree with all sentiments regarding CPO.... BUT,

I will ALSO caveat that it also depends on what kind of maintenance deal you get with your purchase. ANSWER?....

PSMP (which is a 5 year program).

Example: I bought my used 2012 (in 2015) with 16k miles at 50% of MSRP (it was $150k new), and it was NOT a CPO. I could have added & bought that CPO for $3k,... but since the PSMP transferred to me, I was getting everything FREE for the next 3 years.

Yes it was a gamble, and I took it. But it paid off. This beast has been trouble free, and other than the TC being replaced under Good Will (after my 3yrs of PSMP ran out), I have not spent a dime on anything (oil, plugs, etc,... nothing!!).

I could have bought the CPO,.. but it would have gained me nothing.

But of course, now that the vehicle is over 5 years old, my PSMP has run out, and no more warranty,... I will now start to pay for issues. I'm at 49k miles now.

but my point is that .... "It depends".
=Steve
Old 07-27-2017, 04:50 PM
TexasRider
Late Porkchops
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 52 Posts

It works out sometimes. ^^

For 3,000 I would have done it.

For 12,000 not.

Thats just me.

I have 4 years left to decide on my 2016. It has the maintenance and the extra warranty. I think I paid 1500 total for the maintenance which was good. I don't remember on the extra warranty.
Old 07-27-2017, 11:45 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

^^ and thus I got to put the $3 Grand into my 964T and spent nothing on my CTT with the PSMP

Even to this day I still have not found another single person who also received PSMP when they bought their used Cayenne. Would love to hear another buyers experience.

=Steve

Quick Reply: Need help finding a 958 Turbo under $45k