Sponsored By:

Need help finding a 958 Turbo under $45k

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 01:58 PM
dushash
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help finding a 958 Turbo under $45k

I'm looking to buy within next week and so far I found only 2 cars within that price range near NY/CT area

This one is suspiciously cheap: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...2431/overview/ what do you think about it, should I skip such offers or it's worth to drive there and do a PPI?

I can't afford Certified cars as they will cost north of $50-60k easily even for 2011 models. I'm not a demanding buyer and I don't have any spesific must have equipment and I'm flexible in miles too, but I want to avoid abused or in bad condition/lemon cars
Old 07-21-2017, 02:04 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

If you're okay with passing on PDCC, PTV+, Entry and Drive, 4-zone AC, and any of the superfluous options, (and as you said, miles are not a concern) there are many in the price range you're looking for. This is a nation-wide search though. If you need it to be a local deal, you're at the mercy of timing.
I drove one local in Minneapolis for sale from a used car dealer asking $38k. It was a no-option turbo with 82k miles. Drove fine, but I wanted the options I mentioned above and a lot less miles.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:09 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

FYI, that one you linked to is pretty bare on options, but more importantly has been in two different accidents. Side swipe with front-end damage with functional damage reported, as well as a rear-end later. It's probably priced right, but I wouldn't want it.

http://ebridgescar.azurewebsites.net/WP1AC2A20BLA82299
https://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistor...&partner=CDM_O
Old 07-21-2017, 02:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,150 Likes on 763 Posts

The carfax shows 2 accidents, neither minor. RUN AWAY RUN AWAY - plus "Bad Credit, No Credit, No Problem" - not a sign of a reputable dealer.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:00 PM
dushash
AutoX

You are right guys, silly me, I missed that 2 accidents on Carfax

What about this one: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4022/overview/

it seems better equipped and lower miles, but a bit pricey for me. However, I can stretch for that price if I take small financing on it (if car will check out ok). What's the acceptable APR nowadays for used cars? Thank you

P.S. I searched VIN and it appears it was selling on July 1st by a Land Rover dealership, but now CarFactoryDirect is selling it - is it normal or fishy?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:23 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

That looks great on paper. Priced right for a 12 with 40k on it.

I wouldn't be worried about it being for sale one place, and now another. Likely a trade at the LR dealer, and when it didn't sell immediately they sent it to auction. Had I seen this 2 weeks ago I'd have pursued it.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:26 PM
dushash
AutoX

Thanks AGARubberDuck!

Do you guys think it's safe to sign a credit loan at that CarFactoryDirect? I trust official dealerships, but never had financing done at second tier shady lots haha. Are loans nowadays pretty much standard and safe to do?
Old 07-21-2017, 03:40 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

I'm sure you'll get all kinds of different opinions. IMO, you're far better off talking to your credit union, or even whichever bank you use, for a loan. Used car dealers do their best to make sure they profit from their financing department. This happens by:
1. giving you a higher interest % than you qualify for.
2. adding in all sorts of junk fees that look official and hope you don't dispute them.
3. sell you on things like gap insurance, aftermarket warranty, etc.
4. extending your repayment term 60, 72 or even 84 mo.! under the guise of fitting the target monthly payment.

Interest rates will vary all over the place and definitely depend on credit rating, but my CU gave me 1.9% and did not try to upsell me on anything.
Old 07-21-2017, 03:42 PM
dushash
AutoX

Thanks! This is exactly what I was looking for. So I'll start first with my bank and see what they can get me and go from there. I trust my bank BofA a lot more than some auto lots
Old 07-21-2017, 04:25 PM
buckets
Track Day

Originally Posted by dushash
You are right guys, silly me, I missed that 2 accidents on Carfax

What about this one: https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4022/overview/

it seems better equipped and lower miles, but a bit pricey for me. However, I can stretch for that price if I take small financing on it (if car will check out ok). What's the acceptable APR nowadays for used cars? Thank you

P.S. I searched VIN and it appears it was selling on July 1st by a Land Rover dealership, but now CarFactoryDirect is selling it - is it normal or fishy?
2.59 to 2.99% seems to be normal pricing right now for a 60-month loan

1.99% or lower would be great if you could find a cheap deal through a local CU

Looks like a great option list with the Burmester and PDCC!
Old 07-21-2017, 05:46 PM
dushash
AutoX

Thank you! It's good to know what APR to look for!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:12 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

APR seems to fluctuate based on time and area... but I just bought a 15 Boxster S for the wife, and 48-month loan was at 2.94% through Chase, 60 was 3.04%. I have good credit (839 last I checked) which helps. Note that as you try to go older on the car, the rate goes up...

I'll also 2nd what AGA said about the games dealers play. Know your credit score, and what the rates are, before you go in. Dealers can generally buy loans at a discount - and they can also mark them way up.

I have YET to go through a purchase experience where the F&I guy DIDN'T try to play games. Know what your bank can get you done at, check all the local and big banks. Get them to beat whatever that rate is.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:43 PM
buckets
Track Day

Originally Posted by OmniGLH
APR seems to fluctuate based on time and area... but I just bought a 15 Boxster S for the wife, and 48-month loan was at 2.94% through Chase, 60 was 3.04%. I have good credit (839 last I checked) which helps. Note that as you try to go older on the car, the rate goes up...

I'll also 2nd what AGA said about the games dealers play. Know your credit score, and what the rates are, before you go in. Dealers can generally buy loans at a discount - and they can also mark them way up.

I have YET to go through a purchase experience where the F&I guy DIDN'T try to play games. Know what your bank can get you done at, check all the local and big banks. Get them to beat whatever that rate is.
This is good advice. I will also try to have a sales associate confirm rates before going in to see a car. Always felt like you have the most leverage before you even get to the dealership. What happens when you take that bad boy out for a test drive and fall in love and you don't care about 0.50 - 1.00% in APR anymore?!
Old 07-21-2017, 06:53 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

When I walked into the finance office for the 981... I knew I was gonna go 60mos, but knew the 48mo rate at Chase was 2.94%. So the guy slaps the paperwork down, and I see "Chase" on it - so I say, "Oh good, Chase? Cool. What rate - 2.9?"

He fumbles... "Uh... yeah... yep... 3.9... yup."

3.9? No I said 2.9....

"Oh uh, I think it's in the 3's...."

We get to the page with the rate on it... yep... 3.89. That's not going to work. I tell him "Chase is 2.94."

"Where'd you hear that?"

On the website.

He comes back with, "For 60?"

Ok, got me there... I fumble with my phone, "Ooops, you're right, thats 48. 60 is 3.04."

He taps away at his computer while I pull my phone out to pull up the site. Chase was actually 3.09 (it was 3.04 earlier in the day...) so I casually put the phone down and hold ground at 3.04.

He prints off a new contract. "Ok so your new payment is gonna be...." - and I stop him. Contract at top says 3.40.

No bud. I said 3.04 - not 3.40.

Now he gets a testy look on his face. Taps away at his computer. I sit quietly.

"3 point OH four, you said?"

Yup.

*print*

Now clearly irritated, "OK so here we go, now at 3.04.... " Yadda yadda yadda.

Had to correct him twice.

I imagine he bought the loan somewhere in the high 2's. I didn't care since 3.04 is better than the 3.09 I could have bought on my own.
Old 07-21-2017, 06:57 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

And back to the OP....

One small piece of advice. Not that these are particularly problematic... but be sure you have $$$ set aside for maintenance. Finding one sub-45k isn't going to be easy, and if you do find one, I'd expect it to need a little love.

These things were $130k+ vehicles when new.... maintenance costs haven't gotten cheaper with age.

Quick Reply: Need help finding a 958 Turbo under $45k