North Texas High Plains Offroading

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2003, 12:44 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 97 Posts
Talking North Texas High Plains Offroading

Well, all I can say is EuroCarNut hosted an OUTSTANDING day of offroading at his ranch in the high plains of North Texas. GM Austin and GeoffUCLA were there too - all told, 4 Cayennes ready to test out their wares.

We're in the process of synthesizing things and combining the photos for a gallery entry. But, here's one of our favorites......
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2003, 12:47 AM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

And here is how our day ended.........
Attached Images  
Old 11-16-2003, 01:18 AM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow.......... Great shots, looked like a great day.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:45 AM
Cay
Instructor

Thanks for the great pics

nice area and hope to see some more pics from this event
Old 11-16-2003, 01:06 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

Torags,

It was indeed a great day. EuroCarNut has some great land to "play" on and he was/is an extraordinary host. I guess I need to send a note to John D. and ask about space limitations for our gallery (since we all used 5.0 megapixel cameras!).

And after reflecting a bit while on the drive back to Dallas, I have to opine once again that our Cayennes are pretty remarkable vehicles. I averaged 80-85 MPH over and back to the event, and yet was able to successfully tackle some pretty impressive (read "tough") obstacles without causing my Pepper to even breathe hard. And did it all in the comfort of a nicely appointed cabin while listening to some great sounds (courtesy of ltc). I doubt you can say that about too many of Cayenne's competitors.
Old 11-16-2003, 03:57 PM
TaTaPiRaTa
Intermediate

Great Pictures!

pls post some more.

BTW: Spare wheel on the roof looks annoying
Old 11-16-2003, 05:31 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Default Spare on roof looks annoying?

Annoying or not, it sure came in handy when he had a flat. That's actually a dead tire on top and the spare is on the car. Fortunately that was the only flat over the weekend.

I just got back to Austin and it was indeed a great day of off-roading. Thank you EuroCarNut for being such a great host.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:53 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

I've finally made it home. Glad everyone had a good time.

As for the spare wheel on the roof, with all the gear I had in the back (chain saw, shotguns, rifles, big step ladder, recovery equipment, tools - including power tools), there was really no other place to put a full size spare (not really a spare but an extra full size 18" turbo wheel with Pirelli Scorpion A/T) except for on top. And if you're going to get a roof basket, might as well a full size one instead of one of those small ones that looks like a postage stamp on the top of your car. Besides, the whole set up including a top of the line basket and spare is still significantly cheaper than the Porsche rear spare tire carrier option. It's all about functionality, and when I get home the whole thing will come back off the vehicle (including the bra and mirror covers).

As GM Austin said, it was a blessing to have that spare, as I managed to shred a tire on a farm road at about 10:00 at night, and GM Austin and I were able to get out, change the tire in the field, and continue on our way all in less than 10 minutes. And yes, we also have pictures of that taken with a Sony nightvision camera which will be posted later.

It was all so much fun.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:56 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

You said it, Karl..... "It WAS all so much fun." Thanks again for a great Saturday. Also, it was great to meet GMAustin and GeoffUCLA.

All I can say is that if you have some Cayenne owners close by, and have a venue to try out your Cayenne and its offroad capabilites, go for it. You will be amazed!

TBP
Old 11-16-2003, 08:58 PM
Toby Pennycuff
Addict
Rennlist Member

BTW, I'd love to see some X5 or FX45 pictures in similar venues. I'm guessing that we'll not see those anytime soon!
Old 11-16-2003, 09:04 PM
Torags
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by EuroCarNut
As for the spare wheel on the roof, with all the gear I had in the back (chain saw, shotguns, rifles, big step ladder, recovery equipment, tools - including power tools), there was really no other place to put a full size spare (not really a spare but an extra full size 18" turbo wheel with Pirelli Scorpion A/T) except for on top.It was all so much fun.
My kinda guy with a workin' Pepper.

Tire on top.. Function over form: Hooray....

Just a question on a flat in the "wild". Could it be sharp Texas corral cookies? I can't figure a nail. I would love to know.

Where did you get the mirror mittens?
Old 11-16-2003, 10:09 PM
EuroCarNut
Instructor

Torags,

Actually, it was not a nail. It is a county maintained gravel road that boarders the ranch. I used to drive about 40 mph on it in my old Jeep Wrangler before it got hairy, but the last couple of times in the Cayenne, I would look down and realize that I was doing almost 60 mph and no drama at all. Well. Friday night, I overshot one of the entrances to the ranch that we were using by about 2 miles. In a hurry to get back to the other entrance, I decided that I could do about 60 mph on a particularly rough stretch of the road. GM Austin wanted me to turn the PSM off, but I felt a little slip in the rear, so I said maybe during the day, but not now. That was probably when it blew, because about 1/4 mile later when I got to the correct gate, I got out to open it and all I could smell was an intense smell of burning rubber. I did a quick walk around and realized my rear passenger side tire was flat. After we took it off the car, we saw that there were numerous holes on both the inside and outside sidewalls. A can of fix a flat would have been worthless, and I know Porsche's 800 number would not have been any help, as there was no cellular reception where we were.

As for the mirror mittens, I got them from Park Place Porsche in Dallas. They have a Porsche part number and it took them less than 24 hours to get them in.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:09 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Default Cause of flat

I don't know what caused it. I was riding with Karl at the time and I don't think we hit anything that serious so I am very curious. There were several large holes in the sidewall on both sides that appear to have been caused by driving on a deflated tire. My speculation is that something, maybe a nail or screw, caused a puncture earlier and maybe a slow leak. Or maybe the rocky road caused the nail, or whatever, to let go and the tire deflated then. On dirt roads or trails it is hard to tell when there is a deflation because there is so much rocking and swaying from the road surface.

Although that's my theory, I could not find an offending puncture in the tread. Those are hard to find though. The next day I kept my tire pressure monitor display on all day and checked it often.

BTW, I have posted more photos on RennTeam and I think Toby will post more here later.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:16 PM
geoffucla
Instructor

I have to agree with all--yesterday was very cool! Thanks again to EuroCarNut for hosting such a great event. And it was great to meet Toby and GM Austin as well. The landscape, cars, and company made for a very fun, relaxing time. Next time I'll have to make more of a weekend of it and stay over. How was Sunday, by the way? Thanks again. It was great meeting you all--

Geoff.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:20 PM
GM Austin
Pro

Sunday morning we visited the "Island" and then it was off for some artillery practice.

Quick Reply: North Texas High Plains Offroading