Sponsored by:

One Hell of a Pot Hole

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2017, 09:57 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 1,070 Likes on 572 Posts
Default One Hell of a Pot Hole

Returning from Columbia South Carolina we missed our exit to I95, but was able to get to the shoulder and just get the off ramp.

However, we had to cross a small section of dirt to do it and what I didn't expect was the huge pot hole at the end of the macadam that the rain must have carved out.

We hit it hard enough to bounce the front wheels off the ground and we skidded straight for some time along the shoulder before we were able to rejoin the road. My wife hit her head on the roof. It was a pretty hard slam at about 40 mph.

The "Beast" survived with only the loss of the left front turn signal. I stopped at the first exit and slapped the headlight. I suspect the connection was jarred loose from the impact.

I doubt either of our cars would have got us home after that. Certainly the GT3 would have had some serious problems.

Thankful that the Cayenne is built like a tank with wheels.
Old 04-15-2017, 10:30 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,153 Likes on 764 Posts

Marv,

Something I've found.. when missing an exit. Seems like awfully frequently there is another exit not too far ahead where you can do a loop around and get back to the one you intended to use. That's WAY safer than careening across a road, jumping on the dirt and then lurching into the exit lane.

But - that's just me. I've observed your technique too.. and usually comment on it if my wife is along.

If it was hard enough a hit that your wife hit her head - chances are pretty good you've damaged the carcass of the tire, and I'd be a tad concerned with it having an explosive failure at speed.

But - that's just me. Worrywart..
Old 04-15-2017, 11:09 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree the tire is suspect. At a minimum pull the wheel so the tire can be inspected, but it's probably best to just replace your tires so it's not a concern.

Additionally, have the rim inspected well while the tire is off. I'd be shocked if it took that kind of hit didn't damage it. I'd almost put money on it being bent or cracked.

Finally, get the front end inspected real well. I've broken control arms at lower speeds with less inertial mass, but other than it feeling like the alignment was a bit off I had no idea until it was looked at.

Also I apologizing for piling on, but as deilenberger said, there is always another exit or place to turn (on surface streets). I've seen far too many accidents or really close calls from the "OMG!! That was my turn!!!" people. That extra time it takes to turn around is not worth exchanging for the risk to your vehicle, yourself, or other people.
Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 304 Likes on 183 Posts

Whew- glad the Cayenne is going to be ok...how's the wife??
Old 04-16-2017, 09:15 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Thanks, all. A go-around would have been a wiser choice, but at the time there didn't seem to be an issue. Caught me by surprise.

The hole was in the dirt, so the wheels hit the far side berm of the dirt hole, which has more give to it than pavement. Also, we have the stock 18" wheels with 255/55 tires. There is a good bit of rubber to go through before you get to the rims.

Wife is 100%, PJ, and the "Beast" appears the same — no pulling or alignment issues.

As far as replacing tires go, I'd love the excuse to get OEM rubber. They are far, far cheaper than a set for the GT3, which it also needs. Bought Yokos for it last year and they discontinued them, so it means a full set of 4 Michelins unless I can find a set of Nuvos for the rear that haven't been on the shelf too long.
Old 04-16-2017, 04:26 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Several owners here have posted pictures of Michelin Latitude tires that shed chunks of rubber from the tread surface... lots and lots of pieces shed making the contact patch smaller. If you are considering Michelin Latitude tires, you may want to use something else. Lots of us are getting excellent performance out of Continental DSW all-season tires.
Old 04-16-2017, 05:03 PM
tjrob2000
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
The hole was in the dirt, so the wheels hit the far side berm of the dirt hole, which has more give to it than pavement. Also, we have the stock 18" wheels with 255/55 tires. There is a good bit of rubber to go through before you get to the rims.

As far as replacing tires go, I'd love the excuse to get OEM rubber. They are far, far cheaper than a set for the GT3, which it also needs. Bought Yokos for it last year and they discontinued them, so it means a full set of 4 Michelins unless I can find a set of Nuvos for the rear that haven't been on the shelf too long.
You'd be surprised how easily a jolt like you described could push the rubber right to the wheel and bend it. 55 series isn't that much rubber cushioning. I'd check the wheels as others have said.

Regarding tires, check out the Nitto Motivo's. Put them on my Cayenne and they seem very good so far. May just put them on my G35 rear to keep that end from breaking loose so easily in rain.
Old 04-16-2017, 11:51 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Michelin Lattitudes are over-rated for the price. Mine are not chunking as badly as some of the others I have seen, but they definitely are wearing abnormally.
Old 04-17-2017, 08:27 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Good advice. I'll have my local tuner check wheels and tires.

Quick Reply: One Hell of a Pot Hole