Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 CS potentially blown engine, options?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2017, 01:02 PM
he_mech_usmc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 04 CS potentially blown engine, options?

I have not been on RL in a while and just had a major blowout with my 04 CS. She's had a good life until now. Approx 280k on the original engine and to my knowledge does not have any scoring as it was not consuming oil prior to this meltdown. She was leaking pretty severely out of the valve cover gaskets. I ran out to get the gaskets (checked oil level prior to leaving). On the way back she started misfiring pretty badly and shut down. I could not restart, it would just turn over. I pulled all of the coils and plugs and all but #8 coil were cracked. I tested them just to make sure and 4 were completely dead. I ordered all new plugs and coils and put them on along with the new valve cover gaskets. I fired it up and it was still misfiring badly so I shut it down and was going to attempt to perform a compression test on all the cylinders but can not turn it over by hand.

As soon as I can get my 82 928 off of my lift I was going to get it up there and pull the pan to check and see how bad it may be on the bottom end, or if any metal comes out with the pan. I know that it has been asked before about putting the CTT engine in a CS and that the general response is to just get a CTT. IF I were able to pick up a salvaged CTT that had a good engine and almost everything was there (hit in the rear) for cheaper than a new/used CS 4.5 would that be feasible? I was wondering if anyone has seen it done or know anyone that has?

Just looking at all my options.

TIA
Josh
Old 04-17-2017, 01:50 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Get a leakdown done, before anything. What kind of sounds did it make before shutting down?
Old 04-17-2017, 02:13 PM
he_mech_usmc
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It just sounded like a typical lifter tick, not loud or crazy, just a little louder than the injectors. Then it misfired pretty badly and afterfired(did not hear it back up into the intake, just popping in the exhaust). Standing at the front of the car looking at the engine, the crank should turn clockwise(pretty sure). I can not turn the engine over by hand at the crank with a breaker bar going clockwise.

I figured that if the engine was junk and I had a complete donor that I could get for relatively cheap that I could upgrade everything so it'd be pretty close to a true turbo, minus the air suspension.

Thanks,
Josh

Quick Reply: 04 CS potentially blown engine, options?