Drivers side door, mirror and lights issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2017, 04:36 PM
jazzsahota
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side door, mirror and lights issue

Hey all

So I've tried to find the issue on the forum and the internet with out any joy.

I have a 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

When I have the drivers side door closed, the wing mirror does not fold in or adjust using the switch. The passenger mirror folds and adjusts without issue.

If I open the drivers side door 1/3 or 2/3 the puddle and red lights in the door do not work either.

However, if I open the door fully/to its maximum the puddle and red lights in the door come on and the drivers door mirror folds in and adjusts with the switch.

The door locks and unlocks ok, the sensor to let me know the door is open when moving works ok. When I open the drivers side door partially or fully the interior lights come on ok too.

Anyone able to point me in the right direction what the problem maybe, parts and how to replace.

It did remind me of a problem I had with my 928 where the window did not go up and down all the time as the cables in the door where it hinges had frayed. It resulted in my having the swing the door open and closed to get the cables to make contact enough for the windows switch to work.

Thanks
Old 02-28-2017, 04:59 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have not heard of this particular issue before, but it sure sounds like there is a harness that is pulling loose when the door closes all the way!
Old 02-28-2017, 05:05 PM
jazzsahota
8th Gear

Thanks, was not sure if the Cayennes utilised switches rather than good old fashion cables to still run electrics in the door.
Old 02-28-2017, 05:57 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by jazzsahota
Thanks, was not sure if the Cayennes utilised switches rather than good old fashion cables to still run electrics in the door.
Not sure exactly what you're saying here. There are wires that go into the door. They are bundled into cables. There is a plug-in connector on one end of the cable going to the door. I'd first remove this and use some DeOxit on the connectors (Google it..)

If that doesn't fix the problem, chances are the wiring inside the cable is damaged where it flexes from opening/closing the door. That's very common on BMWs and Volvos, haven't heard of it on the Cayenne - but eventually anything that is flexed enough times is going to fail from metal fatigue.

And no idea about your "switches" comment..
Old 03-01-2017, 04:57 AM
jazzsahota
8th Gear

I've seen a couple of cars recently where they did not have wires but switches/contacts in the doors.

These devices then would complete a circuit when the door was closed that allowed the electrical devices to work such as windows, mirror etc.

I'll do as you have suggested. Thanks for your help.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:23 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

I noticed last night that when I open my driver's door that I have sort of the opposite problem than you. Everything works totally fine, except for if I swing the door all the way open to the maximum it will travel, the puddle light turns off! I double checked the passenger door and it does not do this.

It sounds like we may have some similar bugs starting to crop up in our door wiring harnesses. This is not something I will spend the time to fix unless I notice other features get wonky, but I will update this thread if I do and what I did to resolve if/when I fix it.
Old 03-07-2017, 03:29 PM
jazzsahota
8th Gear

Originally Posted by nodoors
I noticed last night that when I open my driver's door that I have sort of the opposite problem than you. Everything works totally fine, except for if I swing the door all the way open to the maximum it will travel, the puddle light turns off! I double checked the passenger door and it does not do this.

It sounds like we may have some similar bugs starting to crop up in our door wiring harnesses. This is not something I will spend the time to fix unless I notice other features get wonky, but I will update this thread if I do and what I did to resolve if/when I fix it.

I've not had a chance to investigate it myself since posting, but my local indie place have indicated it could water ingress onto the connectors or broken cables. It could be either as I had a similar issue with my 928 with the broken cables. I've recently had the drains cleared due them being blocked and the carpets getting wet.

Weather here in the UK currently is just too cold and wet to start pulling the door apart. Hopefully when it it warms up a bit I'll get a chance to check it out.
Old 06-12-2019, 07:44 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Resurrecting this thread. My door is now behaving more similar to how you described yours. The mirror will not longer fold in and out and the puddle lights do not come on at all. Has anyone found a solution here? I hope to have some time this evening to take a look at it.
Old 05-29-2021, 08:38 PM
wieslaw-2011
1st Gear

I have 2005 Cayenne S.
And I had the same issue with driver side puddle light and folding side mirror and red door light not working with the door in closed position but working intermittently in a slightly open position. Did anyone try to replace the door harness? Currently the puddle and red light and folding mirror do not work.

Quick Reply: Drivers side door, mirror and lights issue