Sponsored by:

HELP: Removing Front Bumper 957 Cayenne GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 09:06 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

Received 60 Likes on 52 Posts
Angry HELP: Removing Front Bumper 957 Cayenne GTS

I finally purchased the stainless steel skid plates.

I am in the process of removing the front bumper.
I followed the directions on PelicanParts DIY.
Unfortunately, their example is for 955.

I cannot figure out the area around the side-maker light. I removed the side marker. I removed couple other screws. It is not obvious what to remove. There is very limited access. Should I remove the fender? What a PITA.

I am about to give up. It is not working out, I cannot get the bumper loose.
Don't want to remove too much stuff and have a hard time putting back. Any advice, photos for 957.

Thank you in advance.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:23 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 86 Posts

Please don't give up Rossi.
My horns need replacing, I was planning on following the Pelican procedure as well.
Read where it takes about 1 hr to get it done.
Hopefully someone will chime to help both of us.
Old 12-17-2016, 09:29 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Maybe this will help...

There is a 'reverse-facing' T28 at the top of the wheel arch hidden behind that really stiff top fender liner.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:53 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

I believe I did remove that one ^^^^^
Its still all locked in.
Old 12-18-2016, 03:58 PM
jbanuelos
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, thought I'd chime in and say I followed all of Pelican's instructions on their removal guide and completely removed and reinstalled the front bumper on my 08 957 GTS. Part of the fender liner needs to be pulled back in order to access some screws that need to be removed around the side marker. This is the link I used http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_Removal.htm
If you guys still can't get it off I'd be happy to take some pictures for you to show you how I took it off.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:23 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jbanuelos
Hey guys, thought I'd chime in and say I followed all of Pelican's instructions on their removal guide and completely removed and reinstalled the front bumper on my 08 957 GTS. Part of the fender liner needs to be pulled back in order to access some screws that need to be removed around the side marker. This is the link I used http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...er_Removal.htm
If you guys still can't get it off I'd be happy to take some pictures for you to show you how I took it off.
Thanks!!
About how long did it take to remove and replace? Is this a one person DIY project?
I just need to replace the horns and was wondering if its worth the effort. 1 horn is working.
Old 12-18-2016, 06:53 PM
jbanuelos
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It takes about an hour the first time if you're doing it alone but I'd recommend having someone else help you pull off the bumper. You have to disconnect about a cable or two once you pull it off partially and then disconnect the headlight washer system which will leak a lot of windshield wiper fluid. I just plugged the line with a golf tee.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:19 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

It takes about an hour the first time if you're doing it alone but I'd recommend having someone else help you pull off the bumper. You have to disconnect about a cable or two once you pull it off partially and then disconnect the headlight washer system which will leak a lot of windshield wiper fluid. I just plugged the line with a golf tee.
No washer system on my GTS so maybe reduce the time by 10min.?
Old 12-18-2016, 11:25 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

Gave up on the front unfortunately. Put it all back.
Went ahead and installed the skid plate on the rear.
Very straight forward. No issues.
Old 12-18-2016, 11:29 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

Hey guys, If you guys still can't get it off I'd be happy to take some pictures for you to show you how I took it off.
No issues with removing the headlights, top & bottom bolts and no problem removing the side-marker.

Any detail step by step photos for the around the side-marker area would be really appreciated.
Old 12-19-2016, 12:35 AM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

I think I have a write up on here somewhere but these are the steps I would do. It really is super easy. DO NOT FORCE, you missed a screw if you have to force it.

1. Crawl under the front of the car, if you have air suspension, you can put it up high (and turn of the adjustment), and remove the 8-10 screws on the black batwing underbelly tray, that attach the bottom half of the bumper to the car.

2. Remove both headlights, with the hood up remove the row of screws that are hidden under the hood, along the top of the bumper (black strip)

3. This is your choice, but you can remove the wheel well liner, or just remove the front part, peel it back and scrape your hands to get to the screws inside. If this is your first time, I recommend removing the wheel well liner. You will have to either remove the front wheels, or turn the wheels side to side to get to all the screws around the wheel well liner.

4. Once the wheel well liner is off, there is are screws kinda hidden up where the plastic bumper in the wheel well meets the fender. I think there is one near the side markers too. THIS IS IMPORTANT: Check for any screws around here, it is a common mistake to not remove them, force the bumper off and break the mounting tabs. Unplug both turn signal bulbs.

5. With a friend, and a movers blanket, take the right hand side of the car (Passenger side USA) and slide if off a few inches. You need to disconnect the electrical wire harness for all the turnsignal, fogs, etc. and if you have the headlight washer system, that hose too. Get a bucket or plug it.

6. You can now easily slide the whole bumper off, DO NOT FORCE! If you have to start to force it you missed a screw. The movers blanket is for setting the bumper on.

Personally, I can do this all by myself, it is not hard (just scary as you don't want to scuff the paint )

It has been a few years since I have done mine, but the red dots are areas (not exact) where to look for screws. You can see I left the wheel well liners on my car, and where the turn signal lights, and harness for the other electrical is on the left side of the picture.

Old 12-22-2016, 03:14 PM
touareg
Drifting

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

So did you give up?
Old 12-23-2016, 11:46 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by touareg
So did you give up?
Don't know if Rossi gave up but your post has renewed my confidence about replacing the horns. I cannot justify paying a shop 2+ hours labor for a repair that may need to be done again in the future.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:22 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

Yes, I put it back and installed the rear skid plates which was pretty straight forward.

Without the 957 detail photos of the side marker area, there is nothing more I can do.
I don't want to break something. I might give it another shot taking the wheels off and completely removing the liner......still deciding.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:15 PM
Rossi
Burning Brakes

^^^^ OK , I will give it another shot today. Touareg I forgot to thank you for your time and encouragement. THANK YOU.

I will post an update tonight.

Quick Reply: HELP: Removing Front Bumper 957 Cayenne GTS