Sponsored by:

scratched rear leather

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 12:10 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default scratched rear leather

I just noticed that the seat belt connector is chaffing/scratching the leather when the rear seat (2/3 side) is folded down flat. I had been hauling my bike around and it had been a month or so since the rear seats were in the upright position. The picture shows a tear and the imprint from where the spring loaded belt connection is rubbing things when in the down position. Has anyone else experienced this? It appears that eventually the leather will tear when subjected to long term seat down use.
Attached Images  
Old 11-01-2003, 04:12 PM
beemaze
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ouch!

I say you take it to your dealer, show them how it happened, and have them replace the leather. Not too sure if it's under warranty though, but it should...Mine came with a leather defect in the rear seat and have on order replacement leather.

My wife ML takes all kinds of punishment from seat folding to our kids' destructive rampages and haven't had any tears - superficial scratches yes.
Old 11-01-2003, 05:23 PM
Cay
Instructor

hey, what you aspect after have the backseats 1 month down???

its the same thing like a cabrio top - open it when you use it and close it when you dont use it or face damage on your roof or in this case damage to your leather.
Old 11-01-2003, 06:08 PM
pdxjim
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Am I doing something wrong when I leave the Boxster top down ALL summer?
Old 11-02-2003, 07:06 AM
Cay
Instructor

>Am I doing something wrong when I leave the Boxster top down ALL summer?

yes, definately and you have to pay the bill for it when your top becomes older and the material harder.
Old 11-02-2003, 04:41 PM
laurence '97 C4S
Racer

"hey, what you aspect after have the backseats 1 month down???"

I expect the leather to not tear. Certainly does not happen on our X5. If the tear is indeed a result of simply leaving the seat folded, then there is a fundamental design flaw which I would ASOLUTELY bring to the attention of my dealer. Further I would expect it to be fixed under warranty.

Seems to point to yet another reason to not be the first on a totally new vehicle. I guess because manufacturers are shortening the design phase (to decrease costs) the "shakedown" periods seem to be built into the early intrduction years. Certainly seemed that way with the X5 as well.
Old 11-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Kevin M.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

So thats what caused the indention in the rear seat.. hmmm
Old 08-24-2010, 04:28 PM
greatlakeshsa
6th Gear

Same thing happened to my 06 Cayenne. I put the seats down twice, and it put a small tear in the seats. Headed to dealer today! I only have 25K on the car - although out of warranty, this is a design problem!
Old 08-28-2010, 04:56 PM
00Jay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Cay
hey, what you aspect after have the backseats 1 month down???

its the same thing like a cabrio top - open it when you use it and close it when you dont use it or face damage on your roof or in this case damage to your leather.
hmm. I expect better engineering....there's obviously something wrong with the way the seats were designed because I have the same exact damage to my arm rest in the rear....only I had my seats down for 2 days. The dealer did a poor job repairing mine last month, so when I go back in next month to get my 40K mile service, it'll get repaired again.

lol. what do you expect (shaking head)....I want to make that part of my signature. What happens if I don't use the air conditioning for a month, should I expect it not to work anymore too? Or worse yet, park my car for a month....

Quick Reply: scratched rear leather