Sponsored by:

Misha Widebody Cayenne 957 Turbo S Project

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2021, 01:31 AM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
We mostly use this car for family vacations, so having drink holders for the long drives is handy.
I know, i get it. Just giving you hard time because im jealous of your ride
The following users liked this post:
Petza914 (08-01-2021)
Old 03-10-2022, 04:09 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Subscribed, to go back and read it all thoroughly later. Your car is just gorgeous man!
Old 03-10-2022, 05:17 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Originally Posted by ElSpoon957
Subscribed, to go back and read it all thoroughly later. Your car is just gorgeous man!
Thanks a lot. I'm very happy with the way it turned out.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:22 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Love this thing everytime we take it somewhere

Old 04-15-2022, 02:00 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 142 Likes on 102 Posts

Well considering its shape and how much awesome work you did to it, i would as well.
We traded in wifes 535 and my 957 GTS for a Macan GTS. And i miss the Cayenne to be honest. Although not nearly as fast as Macan, still what an awesome vehicle it was.
Enjoy yours for many more miles in good health.
Old 05-29-2022, 03:18 PM
JJWSF
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great. Are those factory roof crossbars that fit into the roof channels or aftermarket? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2022, 05:27 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JJWSF
Looks great. Are those factory roof crossbars that fit into the roof channels or aftermarket? Thanks!
Thanks. Those are the factory crossbars and I modified the top channels to mount the skybox, but the rails themselves are OEM.
Old 07-01-2023, 12:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Completed another 1,000 mile round trip family vacation to FL this week. Still drives and rides superbly.

Have a few things to do as I'm now at 49,500 miles and need to resolve a couple issues
  1. have what id describe as a transition stumble or light throttle miss. Happens at low rpm when cruising along when I go to give it more throttle and it's only at 1,500-1,800 rpm in 6th gear or I sometimes feel it if I close the throttle then gently open it again. Odd that it never showed a code as I can feel when it does the misfire. I'm past due for spark plugs (may have never been done since I bought it at 28k miles) and am going to change the coil packs too. With the tune and extra boost I'm running, I'm actually going to try the GTS spec plugs, which are a 4 electrode surface gap plug that's 1 heat range colder. We'll see how they do.
  2. Today, on a couple of occasions with 87-92 F temps outside, I had the HVAC on LO on both sides, the fans on high, reciec enabled and was barely getting any air out of the vents - the little bit that was coming out was cold, but there wasn't much. Think my blend door is misbehaving so I'll see what the Durametric says and if maybe exercising the door makes it work properly again. When restarting the car if it worked right then, it stayed working.
  3. It's time to do the PS and PDCC reservoir and fluid replacements to get the new filters built into the reservoirs.
  4. Time for an oil and filter change. Has been 4,500 miles and 2 years. I kind of did this on purpose as I want to see first hand what time vs mileage does to the UOA sample. I'm expecting decent acidity and maybe some increased metal wear because of it. Car still uses zero oil over the change interval.
Here she is in FL.

Get back mid-afternoon so had time to wash off the salt exposure and tuck her back in until the service work starts in a couple weeks.

The following 3 users liked this post by Petza914:
Capt. Obvious (07-01-2023), malahhaor (07-01-2023), TRINITONY (07-01-2023)
Old 07-17-2023, 11:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Doing a personalized 50k mile service on the Cayenne this week.
  • new plugs and coil packs
  • replace both the PS and PDCC reservoirs so I have new integrated filters in them and fill with new fluid
  • Clean and reoil the air filters that are parr of the HHR performance intake
  • Oil and filter change - moving from Driven DT40 to DI40 this time (switching my DFI Q5 and Cayenne to DI40 0w40 and the wife's 997 and my pickup from the DT40 5w40 I had been using to FR50 5w50 as the DI oil is better for DFI engines than the DT and the FR50 is what I already run in my 997 so stocking the same # of oil types).
  • May do a drain and refill on the transmission fluid, but we'll see.

One advantage to this Misha hood is that it doesn't have amount for the gas strut to hold it up, so I usually use a telescoping prop when checking fluids, but the hood actually goes just beyond vertical so I padded the windshield and then used some blue painters tape as an extra precaution just in case there was a breeze or something that got behind it. Engine bay access is great.

Beauty covers removed

Doing plugs. Since this car is tuned, I'm actually using the multi-electrode surface gap plugs spec'd for the GTS as they're one heat range colder and with the multiple electrodes might fire cleaner for longer. Here you can see the difference in the plug designs from the single double platinum Turbo plug vs the GTS plug.

Old.plugs actually looked really good....all the same temp, bo oil deposits, etc. I didn't expect anything different but nice to see. Surprisingly, not a single.coil pack had a single crack in it and believe both these plugs and coils are original to the car as no writing on the black end of the coil and I've owned the car since 28k miles so before plugs would have have been due at 30k (which I didn't do until now).

When removing the torque arm to get the plug and coil covers off, I noticed the rubber was separating - I was surprised at this happening at only 50k miles, but had a set of the Powerflex replacements on ha d because I knew at some point I'd need to do them.

Used my 29 Ton hydraulic press to push out the old bushing

Installed the Powerflex setup

And then installed that into the car once the plugs were done

Sucked out the old fluid from the reservoirs with a baster, then installed the new reservoir and filled with fresh CHF 11S. Here you can see the difference in the old reservoir (PS) vs the new one (PDCC).

Both changed and refilled.

Cleaning the oiled air filters. To all those who say oiled filters damage MAaFs, this is how you clean and reoil them so that doesn't happen. Saturate with the K&N cleaner, rinse with hot water from the inside out, saturate again, let them fully dry outside, oil them, let them sit on their ends for 30 minutes, flip them over to the openings for 30 minutes (this allows gravity to work with the gauze absorption to distribute the oil), flip them back over and stuff with paper towels overnight. The paper towels absorb the excess oil that the gauze couldn't capture. When running those types of filters a hydrophobic prefilter is also a good idea as it deflects the big stuff and repels water so the filter media doesn't get wet

​​​
​​​​​​

malahhaor (04-04-2024)
Old 07-18-2023, 12:06 AM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 236 Posts

Catch can?
Old 07-18-2023, 01:20 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
Catch can?
Nope, haven't done that yet. I'm curious to see what's in the DS intercooler when I do the oil change as it will have been accumulating for 20k miles or slightly more.. The car uses no oil between 5k mile changes and I don't see any evidence of oil being burned on the plugs. The Driver's side plugs look just like the Passenger side ones too.
​​​​
TRINITONY (07-18-2023)
Old 04-04-2024, 07:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Default Verus AOS / Catch Can

Finally did the catch can / AOS installation I'd been planning for a few years. After referencing the other Catch-can thread, I abandoned doing the pressure side and vacuum side and just did the crankcase pressure side but split the input into the dual chambers for the AOS I went with. Drove the car in full boost today (sport mode with PSM off) and can't tell any difference in how it performs, which is the goal. We'll see how much oil I capture with the system. I still need to take apart and empty the intercooler but since there wasn't enough in it to cause an issue currently, I'll save that for some day when I have the wheel off and access behind the wheelwell liner is easier.

Probably easiest to tell the story by captioning Photos....

One great thing about this aftermarket hood is that it will go past vertical allowing unencumbered access to the engine

Here's the parts kit - Verus dual chamber AOS, drain valve, 5/16" hose from the AOS outlet to the drain valve, hose keepers, 3/4" to 1/2" barb adapters, etc

With the beaty covers removed I started looking for a mounting location. On the firewall in front of the brake fluid reservoir looks like the best spot, but there were some wires in the way. Removed the 10mm nut, rotated that bundle of wires and secured them to a different post over to the left a bit.

Wire bundle relocated

Here's the back of the AOS I'm using. Mounted rubber fuel pump isolator mounts to it so it would stand off the wall and absorb any vibration or pulses of air from the crankcase vent. Trimmed one of the mounting posts for clearance to the brake fluid reservoir.

Here is the backside after mounting through the firewall

Used some scavenged AOS hose ends to make the hose that will connect to the OEM AOS outlet. Because it will have a bend in it and I don't want it to kink, I installed a spring into the hose. This also prevents collapse under vacuum.

Ran 3' of hose from the AOS unit drain down to under the car to this drain valve. My plan is to use the hose as my catch can and I can easily drain in whenever I want just by putting the Cayenne into Terrain mode and sliding underneath, and opening the valve.

Because the drain hose will run down the inside of the engine bay in the vicinity of the turbo and exhaust manifold, I fire sleeved the hose to keep it from melting.

Had to trim the side of the rear beaty cover to make room for the AOS and hoses Oscillating tool and fine tooth jigsaw.

Here's how things fit under the rear beauty cover after the trimming

Close up of trimmed cover and AOS hoses

Because you never know how something is going to work long term, I made a replacement hose from the AOS to the vacuum T. If I get any CELs or blow a hose, I keep this one in the car and can go back to the OEM setup in just a few seconds, completely bypassing the secondary AOS setup.

This hose needs an S-bend to connect properly, so another sprint placed inside.

Here's the outlet side plumbed. OEM AOS feeds that rubber hose I made, then there's a 3/4" to 1/2" hose barb adapter as I used Porsche reinforced brake booster hose for all the AOS lines. This hose won't collapse under vacuum and also makes gentle bends without kinking, but it only comes in 15/32" ID size.

The outer 2 ports on the AOS are the inlets for the 2 chambers and the inner 2 ports are the outlets or returns, so those 2 lines go back to the 3-way valve where the OEM hose from the AOS connected.

Here's the plumbing from the OEM AOS outlet and back to the 3-way valve.

Completed install with Beauty Covers removed

Went to fit the driver's side beauty cover and realized it was going to need some trimming as well.

All done with covers back in place

Done.
The following 2 users liked this post by Petza914:
ElSpoon958 (04-04-2024), malahhaor (04-04-2024)
Old 04-04-2024, 08:52 PM
ElSpoon958
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous, great install my man! Way nicer setup than mine, and your engine bay is clean enough to eat off of. Sheesh!

Your installation has inspired me to re-do mine. Really looking forward to see how much, if anything, you end up capturing. I'm going to reference your install and modify mine... enough though I have the 958 and my configuration / tubing is slightly different than yours, it's more or less basically the same and I can just run like yours: out from the AOS > into catch can > out of catch can > back into 3 way check valve thingy.
Old 04-14-2024, 12:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Just completed a 1,000 mile trip to Daytona and back over the past few days. Car ran flawlessly and no codes, leaks, or issues of any kind from the AOS install. Going to drain the AOS hose tomorrow to see if it captured anything.
Old 04-14-2024, 06:24 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Ok, here are the results - put the car into Special Terrain mode, slid underneath, opened the drain hose petcock and got about 2 oz of oil into the catch bottle (it's a 2 oz glass bottle and was almost full). That was very surprising to me for only 1,000 miles when the Cayenne hasn't been using any oil at 5,000 mile change intervals according to the dipstick level. From what I've observed here, I should be using about 10 oz or 1/3 qt of oil every 5k miles.

By my calculations the hose itself should only be able to store about 1.27 oz so the rest must be accumulating in the AOS, which isn't ideal. I'm going to add a small reservoir to the bottom of the hose before the drain valve so I can accumulate more oil between drainings and keep the AOS itself empty. Hose is 5/16" if so 5/32" x 5/32" x pi = area of that inner circle of the hose, the multiplied by its 30" length, it looks like the hose should hold 2.3 cubic inches of oil. Using a conversion factor of 0.554 for cubic inches to fluid ounces, that means the hose holds 1.27 oz.

The good news is that this AOS setup appears to be very effective at capturing oil from the AOS vapor...the bad news is I need to drop that intercooler and drain it as it likely has a lot more oil in it than I thought it might.
malahhaor (04-18-2024)

Quick Reply: Misha Widebody Cayenne 957 Turbo S Project