Front seatback repair revisited.

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:07 PM
TheMoreStuffGuy
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clips

Originally Posted by Dilberto

I 3D printed more robust bottom clips and re-attached the upper 3 clips with GE Silicone Caulking, Ain't going nowhere now:
Would you be willing to share your file for the clips so I can print them myself
Old 07-23-2019, 09:30 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 861 Likes on 473 Posts

Well, after 15 years and 165k miles, my driver's seat back gave out in the 100 degree heat we've been having here in PA. Life is too short to f*ck around with this: I'm going to put a couple of screws through them and a call it a day!
Old 09-13-2019, 10:57 AM
Shanavia
3rd Gear

Default Where can i find these

Where can i find theses these clips

Originally Posted by Dan87951
Where would someone who needs them purchase those at?
These:
Old 09-13-2019, 11:13 AM
Shanavia
3rd Gear

Default Clips

PM me...
Can you email me where to buy these clips please. unitedfinancialshay@gmail.com
Old 09-13-2019, 11:17 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,659 Likes on 4,232 Posts

[QUOTE=TheMoreStuffGuy;15990493]
Originally Posted by Dan87951
Where would someone who needs them purchase those at? Would you be willing to share the file so I could print my own
Alex (username Sandow) is who printed me a set of carbon reinforced plastic ones when he did his own. I haven't had to use them yet as my clips didn't break when the passenger seat came off so I just readhered the original clips using 3M Panelbond adhesive.
Old 09-14-2019, 02:51 AM
kaholo1
7th Gear

Default Seat Back

I tried many things over the years.I gave up on trying to remount clips. I simply applied shoe goo around the perimeter of seat back, aligned back onto seat, and kept in place with multiple layers of packing wrap(Saran Wrap). Kept in place over the weekend. Has survived many years and withstands hot 100+ California summers. Only warning, it takes forever for the fumes to go away.
Old 09-18-2019, 03:30 PM
nymac
1st Gear

OK! So mine fell off about 2 months ago, finding parts here in TORONTO, ONTARIO, CANADA is pain in the neck and sometimes will cost you a finger or two.

Here is the much needed info on those custom new clips.

First, find an University Library that has 3D printers (usually can be used for free), I'm using University of Toronto's Library.
Then use any of these 3D models and print off what you need;

1) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:488692

Porsche Cayenne seat back clip

2) https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3145323

Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 rear seat cover mount

then use as other suggested, GE Silicone Caulking.

I'm just printing mine now, takes an hour to make 1 lower hook!!.

BTW, Suncoast sells these upper seat clips https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/957SEATCLIPS.html $6.69 Seat Cover Back Clips 957SEATCLIPS

Cayenne Seat Cover Back Clips # 957SEATCLIPS
Old 09-18-2019, 08:58 PM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,036 Likes on 642 Posts

nymac...brilliant! Thanks.
Old 09-29-2020, 07:22 PM
tbo_cruiser
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These:
These look very nice. I made some much less attractive ones basically cut out of a piece of wood. I tried to JB Weld them in but that failed after a couple of months. So I completely removed the back from the car. I had to take the front seat loose like you do when replacing the battery so that I could get the straps loose that hold the bottom of the upholstery up under the seat. I don't think any of those straps were attached properly. For the two outer straps I think I found two silver clips on the seat rail that appear to work. But for the two toward the middle which each have two straps and a 2" long plastic hook, I cannot see where those need to be attached. Any ideas?
I am going to also post this in the battery replacement thread == hope someone can take a picture while replacing battery.

Regards the seat back itself, I tried the GE Silicon 2+ first time and it failed. It think it may be because the bottom clips came loose. Once I had the seat back out of the car, I drilled holes in the side of the remnants of the bottom clips and continued the holes through the wood pieces I made. Then I put zip ties through the holes and pulled them up tight. No way they will come loose now. Then I scraped off and sanded where I had put the Silicon 2+. This time I used the JB Weld Plastic Epoxy. Put plenty of it on the upper brackets. After positioning the seat back, I cranked the back down so that it was pushing against the back seat. Left it overnight. Seems to be holding.
Old 09-16-2021, 01:59 PM
bobcath4
1st Gear

PM me...
Do you still have the lower clips for Porsche Cayenne seatback panel? I need a pair and the price.
Old 01-25-2022, 07:07 PM
pinporsche
2nd Gear

PM me. I have the revised lower clips....
Hello Dilberto,

Can I please get some of those clips? Both driver and passenger seats fell off. 9152016813

Last edited by pinporsche; 01-25-2022 at 07:08 PM. Reason: more info
Old 01-25-2022, 07:55 PM
phatz
Three Wheelin'

Received 177 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by pinporsche
Can I please get some of those clips?
You can do this yourself
Download the files
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3145323/files
Take them to someone locally to print
Or send the files to (or any online print shop)
https://www.protolabs.com/services/3d-printing
The following users liked this post:
Hula (07-01-2023)
Old 07-19-2023, 04:22 PM
theharley
3rd Gear

Default I would like a set of clips, please pm me

I would like a set of clips, please pm me

I 3D printed more robust bottom clips and re-attached the upper 3 clips with GE Silicone Caulking, Ain't going nowhere now:
Old 02-05-2024, 12:16 PM
LauraG
AutoX

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6.25 years later…

Originally Posted by LauraG
My '06 Cayenne driver seat back fell off this summer. I tried all sorts of glues to repair the broken bottom plastic clips, but they all failed. Spray adhesive for the top 3 glue points didn't hold either. I found this idea on another forum and it's worked so far!

I drilled holes (9/64" bit) in each side of the remaining plastic clips.

Used zip ties through the drilled holes and the center hole of the metal plate where the clips used to sit. After making sure the bottom "fabric" sides were attached to the seat, I used 2 zip ties per hole. The 1st from drilled hole to metal, the 2nd on the opposite side of the metal and back to the 1st zip tie... which acted as an anchor holding the back loosely in place as I worked on the other 3. Slowly tightened the zip ties until all were tight and bottom of back was in place.

Next I took 3M adhesive tape for moulding and covered the surface of all 3 top plastic pieces where the glue had failed (mine were in place and intact). Peeled the red backing and pressed the back into place.

I leaned the seat all the way back for about an hour so the backseat pressed on the 3M tape area.

Even if the tape eventually fails, the bottom clip area isn't going to drop out of place anytime soon! Hope this helps someone!
The 3M tape didn’t last long and was replace by Gorilla Glue back in 2017.

This last weekend the Gorilla Glue failed after 6.25 years. Stuck back on with Shoe Goo this time. Hopefully this puppy isn’t moving again anytime soon. Crossing fingers!
Old 02-05-2024, 12:20 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,659 Likes on 4,232 Posts

I used 3M Panelbond - stronger than welded metal supposedly, and the same stuff that was used to adhere my widebody flares.

Quick Reply: Front seatback repair revisited.