Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in Passenger Floor

Old 06-24-2016, 01:33 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Water in Passenger Floor

2008 CTT - I found some water on the passenger floor mat a few weeks ago and then went through a car wash today and there it was again. After reading several threads and given it was after a dousing at the car wash, I'm leaning towards sunroof or cowl drains. Here are a couple pics showing where water was coming from under the dash at the A pillar. Can anyone confirm that's where it would come from if it's the 'Plus' shaped plug or grommet under the wheel liner that needs to be pulled and cleaned out?
Old 06-24-2016, 02:58 PM
SRS
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It could also be from the air conditioner evaporator tube. Under the glove box, there is a panel. Take that out. You'll see a rubber tube under there that attaches to your air conditioner. If that gets clogged, the water will back up and spill out onto the floor.

When you disconnect the tube, a lot of water may come out. Maybe a quart, so have a bowl or something ready to catch the water.

I used a plumbers snake to make sure my tube was free from debris after that.

Last edited by SRS; 01-06-2021 at 09:56 AM.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:34 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Name:  EF1EB339-9E2F-46D0-8842-A25C6FC939E3_zpswu0uzdqr.jpg
Views: 5411
Size:  219.5 KB

Water was coming down the A pillar at the point it meets the glovebox trim.
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2016, 03:38 PM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the exact same "leak" happen to me back in December. Mine was that my hose that runs from the pano roof drain was not connected. I peeled back my headliner (above my front passenger seat) a little bit to see if the hose was connected and it was just laying there. I don't know if it worked its way loose or what but once it was reconnected; the water leak disappeared. I hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2016, 03:55 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by kino1161
I had the exact same "leak" happen to me back in December. Mine was that my hose that runs from the pano roof drain was not connected. I peeled back my headliner (above my front passenger seat) a little bit to see if the hose was connected and it was just laying there. I don't know if it worked its way loose or what but once it was reconnected; the water leak disappeared. I hope that helps.
Thanks kino1161, was there any trick to getting the headliner loose?
Old 06-24-2016, 06:06 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Name:  78881E74-23EF-4F15-BF91-45C1ABAAC73F_zpsa839zfy8.jpg
Views: 3987
Size:  183.5 KB

I pulled the panel under the dash and all looks good under there. Then I pulled the wheel and the fender liner and removed the 'plus' shaped rubber grommet and it had some debris in it, but not too bad, but as you can see, there is a bundle of wire laying across the drain hole where the grommet was! Is that normal? Seems like a bad place to run them. I also pulled the cowl covering up and check the drain in there, it was very clean, no problem. Now I'm starting to suspect the sunroof drain connection behind the headliner. How do I get the headliner out enough to see this connection without damaging it. Can anyone point me at a thread? Before I do that I'm going to reinstall the fender liner and wheel, get it back on the ground and try pouring some water around the sunroof channel and see where it goes. My headliner does not seem to be damp. Maybe the 'plus' shaped grommet was clogged enough that the intense water in the car wash overwhelmed it?
Attached Images  
Old 06-24-2016, 07:14 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Left the grommet out and put it all back together. Poured enough water in the sunroof drain to overwhelm it for a few seconds. It all came out on the garage floor. I'm guessing that grommet was clogged enough to cause an issue. I guess I'll find out the next time I was it or go thru a big storm
Old 06-24-2016, 07:41 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Default Water

Same thing happened to my 2015 Cayenne. Under the hood there is a vent. Remove that and see if leaves or other debris is clogging the drain. Dealer fixed for free and could not believe this happened in 5000 miles.
Old 06-25-2016, 05:27 PM
Km1.8t
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off subject, did you cut the edges off your WeatherTech mats? I just received mine and they have a portion of the mat that coverage the door sill and covers up the CayenneS that lights up. I was thinking of trimming them. Just curious. Thanks
Old 06-26-2016, 04:29 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Name:  32D7A998-4251-4F0E-9731-3127F8335CEB_zpshbvtmtog.jpg
Views: 3789
Size:  165.2 KBhere is pic of mine, I did not have to trim them.
Attached Images  
Old 06-27-2016, 08:46 AM
kino1161
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyV
Thanks kino1161, was there any trick to getting the headliner loose?
Sorry, for the late reply, but I just took off the A pillar interior trim and then pulled down the headliner enough to see the hose was just laying there. The headliner has some "give" to be able to pull down enough to look in there.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:58 PM
aftCG
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought a pig yesterday but I do have some experience with two Touaregs (sorry if that ticks anyone off to compare them).
Besides the water collecting fish tanks in the wheel wells and sun roof plumbing there is another source of right side foot well leaking: The rear window washer tubes go up the A pillar on that corner too.

Typical mode though is to come pouring out when you activate the rear washer, and of course it smells like washer fluid.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Default Update

I thought I had this solved, but had not been parked outside in a hard storm or gone through a carwash. For that matter, I hadn't washed it in a while.

Rained hard on it Sunday night while parked outside at my brother's place. Wet floor in the same area as before. Drove home through a severe T-Storm on the interstate and it didn't get any worse.

When I got home, I parked it inside and started dismantling the A pillar trim and the passenger assist handle and sun visor to get the headliner down.

I pulled all 3 of the plugs that run under the body and got a quart or so of water out of the front one. Is this related to the problem?

I ran a weed trimmer string down the drain hole from the sun roof, but it wouldn't go all the way through. Where is the outlet exactly, maybe I can run it up and see if there is an obstruction.

No evidence of water on the headliner. I dried it out and left the A pillar trim off and headliner down so that I can test with the hose at the base of the windshield and at the sunroof tonight.

Frustrated!
Old 07-26-2016, 03:19 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

You probably won't get weed-wacker string down the sunroof drain - there is undoubtedly a right-angle Z sort of fitting somewhere around the back of the door jam fuse box. Porsche likes to do that sort of thing.

You might try compressed air - but use it carefully - you don't want to blow hoses off fittings in places they're impossible to get to (like the Z fitting behind the fuse box.)

I'm sure you're not supposed to get a quart of water out of a pulled body plug - so chances are it's related.

In the photo in: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post13402352 - can you describe a bit better where this hole is located, and where you took the photo from?

Reason I'm asking.. on my '06 955 - after chasing the water demon for at least 2 years (would think it was solved, and then it did it again) - I found a missing plug in the firewall at the juncture of the firewall and the inside steel fender line - pretty much directly under the passenger side hood hinge. There was a foam baffle in that area that was guiding water running off the windshield right side channel down and into the area the plug was missing. Through the years it also guided things like leaves and crappola off the windshield down - so the valley between the firewall and fender was plugged up with this crappola.

That mean that when enough water came down around the hinge off the windshield - it would fill up the valley until it reached the hole with the missing body plug. At that point it would go through the hole and into the cabin area right above/behind the right side fuse block area - near the A pillar.

My WAG was the body plug was missing for a long time - maybe since the vehicle had been made. I cleaned out the crappola leaves/munge, and found a plastic body plug and plugged the hole. Leak was then gone. No more water.

It was so successful that a few months later I got bored with the vehicle (since I'd made it perfect for the next owner - my goal in life apparently) and I moved on to the '11 turbo I currently have.

Anyway - some clarification of where that photo was taken might help.

BTW - check out:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...ootwell-3.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...fter-rain.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...illar-why.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-carpet-2.html

As you can see - it's not a simple or uncommon problem.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:01 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You probably won't get weed-wacker string down the sunroof drain - there is undoubtedly a right-angle Z sort of fitting somewhere around the back of the door jam fuse box. Porsche likes to do that sort of thing.

You might try compressed air - but use it carefully - you don't want to blow hoses off fittings in places they're impossible to get to (like the Z fitting behind the fuse box.)

I'm sure you're not supposed to get a quart of water out of a pulled body plug - so chances are it's related.

In the photo in: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post13402352 - can you describe a bit better where this hole is located, and where you took the photo from?

Reason I'm asking.. on my '06 955 - after chasing the water demon for at least 2 years (would think it was solved, and then it did it again) - I found a missing plug in the firewall at the juncture of the firewall and the inside steel fender line - pretty much directly under the passenger side hood hinge. There was a foam baffle in that area that was guiding water running off the windshield right side channel down and into the area the plug was missing. Through the years it also guided things like leaves and crappola off the windshield down - so the valley between the firewall and fender was plugged up with this crappola.

That mean that when enough water came down around the hinge off the windshield - it would fill up the valley until it reached the hole with the missing body plug. At that point it would go through the hole and into the cabin area right above/behind the right side fuse block area - near the A pillar.

My WAG was the body plug was missing for a long time - maybe since the vehicle had been made. I cleaned out the crappola leaves/munge, and found a plastic body plug and plugged the hole. Leak was then gone. No more water.

It was so successful that a few months later I got bored with the vehicle (since I'd made it perfect for the next owner - my goal in life apparently) and I moved on to the '11 turbo I currently have.

Anyway - some clarification of where that photo was taken might help.

BTW - check out:

http://www.6speedonline.com/forums/c...ootwell-3.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...fter-rain.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...illar-why.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...-carpet-2.html

As you can see - it's not a simple or uncommon problem.
Thanks for the reply. The picture you referenced is the hole the "+" shaped valve or grommet fits into in the passenger side fender well behind the fender liner. I found some junk in it the first time around, but not all that much. I posted it because there is a wire bundle that crosses the opening on the inside of the fender and I thought that was weird.

As far as the missing plug you had under the hood hinge, how did you access that area? I've pulled up the cowl cover that's at the base of the windshield and looked in there and it looks clean.

Thanks for the links, I'll check them out. I have read a bunch already, and the A/C drain seems to be real common, but I'm convinced that is not what's going on with mine as it's only a storm or a car wash drive through that makes it wet.

Tom

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Water in Passenger Floor