Sponsored by:

Water in Passenger Floor

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 06:19 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Update

It just rained like a cow pissing on a flat rock. I sat in the car with a flashlight, upper A pillar trim pulled down as well as headliner. Kept the flashlight on the passenger floor looking under the carpet. No water after 20 minutes of downpour. Maybe I fixed it when I ran the weed trimmer string through the sunroof vent? Maybe removing the underside plugs was the issue? I went back to the office and left it in the elements, maybe it will be full of water when I leave here in the next 1/2 hour or so? It's a mystery.
Old 07-28-2016, 11:46 AM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Update: When I went out to the CTT after work Tues, it was still dry. Maybe I fixed it?
Old 08-01-2016, 11:38 AM
Jetpilot718
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lets hope TommyV! What is it with German cars and water drainage issues?? I'm new to P-Cars and its unfortunate that they suffer from what I thought was just a BMW and Mercedes sunroof issue. So annoying. Best of luck to you..
Old 08-08-2016, 06:48 PM
R1/996
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had similar problem short while ago on my 996, water gathering under the passenger floor mat. tested the sun drains by getting a straw and blowing a mouth full of water down each drain hole from the sunroof tray, all four appeared fine no blockages, then I tried the A/C drain hole in the under the mat which was clear, I then followed the tube back under the dash where It meets a rubber tube, this was a weak connection which allowed water to escape and run down the pipe direct onto the floor. re pushed the pipe back in and a small jubilee clip sorted
Old 08-09-2016, 10:58 AM
porches
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The evaporator drain has a flap on the bulkhead(engine side) on the right side that gets stuck shut so when enough water builds up in the drain tube it empties out onto the passenger floor. Most of the time we just cut the flap off to prevent it from happening again. Also check both of your cowl drains, accessible behind both front fender liners. Those can fill up with water and will eventually flood into your fuse box and then into the passenger compartment.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:02 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Another update... It poured all day yesterday and the CTT sat out in it for about 6 hours. More water in the passenger floorboard. Took it home and started tearing out A pillar trim, headliner, etc. found water drips in the upper A pillar but nothing above the corner of the windshield. Watched it for a while with a flashlight (it wasn't raining as hard) and saw a drip come out from near the upper corner of the windshield on the passenger side. I've sealed the top corner of the windshield on the outside with some clear packing tape to test the theory. Now after looking closely, I can see some minute water damage to the leather dash around the vent in the far right corner closest to the passenger.

The windshield seems to be shifted horizontally towards the drivers side. You can see on the outside the edge of the glass is not covered by the trim on the passenger side but is on the drivers side. Tempting to get some kind of sealer and try to fix it but should probably have the windshield R&R'd. Suggestions? Is this a dealer only job?
Old 08-14-2016, 10:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

Any good glass shop should be able to do it.. dealers rarely do this sort of thing - they usually call in the local auto glass shop who is way more skilled at doing it (they do it multiple times every day, your average mechanic? Mebbe once or twice?) Going to the dealer just means you'll be paying dealer markup for the same guy to do it.
Old 08-14-2016, 11:07 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Makes sense, I've got the privacy/thermal glass option. I think that includes the windshield so I thought it might be specialized.
Old 09-06-2016, 12:45 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Update: Glass company came by and tried to seal the windshield leak from the inside. Did not work. They came back with a new glass (it didn't come in the first time) and as soon as the pulled the trim, the tech showed me how the glass was pressed tight at the lower corners against the body and stood proud at the top. He told me he was almost certain to break it because it was too tight to get the tool in at the bottome. He was right, I watched and it started cracking right away.

After they got the old windshield out, they showed me at least 4 spots along the top where the glue was not contacting the windshield. At the bottom in the center, there was a gap that was at least 2" wide where there was no contact. Talk about a crappy install! New glass is in, problem solved, I hope!
Old 07-11-2018, 07:23 PM
twcanuk
4th Gear

Default Searching for the evaporator drain on 2013 cayenne

Originally Posted by porches
The evaporator drain has a flap on the bulkhead(engine side) on the right side that gets stuck shut so when enough water builds up in the drain tube it empties out onto the passenger floor. Most of the time we just cut the flap off to prevent it from happening again. Also check both of your cowl drains, accessible behind both front fender liners. Those can fill up with water and will eventually flood into your fuse box and then into the passenger compartment.
thanks so much for your post. My independent mehanic and I were searching for the drain with flap you mentioned but couldn't find it. Do you happen to have a photo? Thanks again!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by twcanuk

thanks so much for your post. My independent mehanic and I were searching for the drain with flap you mentioned but couldn't find it. Do you happen to have a photo? Thanks again!
Hi, welcome to the forum! There is a subforum you might want to become familiar with: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-diy-224/

It's the DIY forum. Lots of good info there that you can share with your mechanic. There is an excellent thread with photos of how to clear the drains - and so far all models of the Cayenne have this issue:

This is specific to the 955/957 series: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...vac-drain.html
This is for the 958, but much of what it shows is identical in the 955/957 vehicles: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...clean-out.html

Have fun! They're fairly easy DIY projects.. on a scale of 1-10 mechanical ability needed - this is about a 3.
Old 07-14-2018, 10:56 PM
TCZ
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently had water dripping from underneath the glove box. When I reached my hand up and under it was soaked. Turned out to be a clogged AC drain.
Old 01-05-2021, 09:52 PM
Kailherd
8th Gear

Default Passenger floor leak 2013 cayenne gts

So I am having the same issue. I pulled the wheel wells and checked the drains, they are clean. Checked the sunroof drains and they seem to be draining as they should. It’s the original windshield, has anyone had a leaking windshield? It’s dripping from the little hole behind the felt in the picture below.

Old 01-06-2021, 12:09 AM
deilenberger
Banned

That's (referring to post just above - don't want to copy the huge photos..) probably a sunroof drain problem, but it might also be a problem I had in my 955 '06 S. The windshield drains down into the cowl area ahead of it - there are foam guides right below the hood hinges designed to guide the draining water away from the cowl. That's all good and hopefully your foam guides are still intact. I had a persistent leak on the '06 that I spent about 2 years chasing. I finally found it. The inner fender well is welded up to the firewall forming an open boxed sort of area. One side of this area is the actual steel firewall. On my '06 there was a large hole right through the firewall, and I could see wiring going to the fuse box through the hole. The boxed area had built up organic crud (leaves, that sort of thing) so it wouldn't drain quickly. I could see a high-water mark on the firewall that stopped right at the bottom of that open hole. The water would splash down into that boxed area, fill it up until it started pouring through the hole in the firewall.

Ended up - I cleaned the area, and put a plastic body-plug into the hole (you can find these at big box auto stores or on-line). That was the end of the leak that drove me nutzo. This was on the passenger side. From then on, once in a while I'd reach down into that area and clear out any crud that built up, and never saw another drop of water in the cabin.

Probably worth checking.

The following users liked this post:
user 8298308 (11-22-2021)

Quick Reply: Water in Passenger Floor