Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light on - My mechanic tells me I need to drive it more. I've done 300+

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 03:23 PM
rk4020
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check engine light on - My mechanic tells me I need to drive it more. I've done 300+

Hello everyone!
First post in the forum.

I have an old 2006 Porsche Cayenne S that was not driven for a few months, which resulted in a discharged battery.

After it was resuscitated, I noticed that the check engine light was always coming on upon starting the vehicle and that prevented me from performing and passing the DMV-mandated smog check.
I took it to my mechanic, who told me I just need to drive it around for 100 miles, so I did and I returned and he told me I still need to drive it around more.
At this point, I think I've probably driven more than 300 miles since I was told I need to drive it around and the check engine light is still coming on.

What's going on? Why do I need to drive my car around in order to have my car's check engine light off? Is there no way around this problem?
Old 05-24-2016, 03:31 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like your mechanics is giving you the run-around. If you or your mechanics has access to a code reader(Durametric or PIWIS) plug it in, find out why the CEL is on and reset the codes. If it comes back check the codes again to find out what is going on.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:32 PM
rk4020
4th Gear

Do mechanics charge you for the code reader?

I guess I need to find a different mechanic, because I can't really communicate well with my current mechanic due to language barrier.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:39 PM
rk4020
4th Gear

I guess I need to purchase this "OBD2 scanner"?

Would these work?

Amazon.com: Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII OBD II Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android: Automotive Amazon.com: Veepeak Mini WiFi OBD2 OBD 2 OBDII OBD II Scanner Scan Tool Adapter Check Engine Light Diagnostic Trouble Code Reader for iOS iPhone iPad and Android: Automotive

Amazon.com: Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Check Engine Light for Android - Compatible with Torque Pro: Automotive Amazon.com: Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Check Engine Light for Android - Compatible with Torque Pro: Automotive
Old 05-24-2016, 03:44 PM
s4for5
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default yes, language barrier

Your mechanic does not speak PORSCHE
Find a new mechanic who can properly scan and diagnose your issue.
The cheapo scanners will not usually let you reset your Cayenne codes.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:46 PM
rk4020
4th Gear

Originally Posted by s4for5
Your mechanic does not speak PORSCHE
Find a new mechanic who can properly scan and diagnose your issue.
The cheapo scanners will not usually let you reset your Cayenne codes.
Oh I see.
I guess I need to find a Porsche mechanic around Los Angeles.
I was trying to save money by going with a cheap mechanic.

I will search for a thread for recs.
Old 05-24-2016, 06:20 PM
John Welch.
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Many auto parts stores will scan your codes for free.
Old 05-25-2016, 10:45 AM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your mechanic is an idiot. You reset the codes and drive to see if it comes back. Not the other way around....
Old 05-25-2016, 11:46 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I'll agree that you need a new mechanic. What that fool is hoping is that you have a transient issue. For normal issues, 3 start/shutdown cycles without the problem present will turn the light off (it has nothing to do with miles driven).

Most auto parts stores have code readers that will tell you the fault code. This is usually a free service (they then sell you the parts you need). They will not clear the codes to shut off the light.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:03 PM
RajDatta
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Before we kill this mechanic, there are situations when the different modules need to meet readiness criteria when the battery is fully discharged or changed. Does it effect the Cayenne? Not sure, but it does affect a lot of vehicles.
The only cure for that is to drive the car until all modules reach readiness.
Do a search in the 993 boards for readiness a you will see what the requirements are.
Old 05-25-2016, 12:52 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought the Durametric , best thing I've done. I can check codes, reset the oil light, adjust the sensitivity on PDC (which I find completely annoying) Saved me money already.

Last edited by pbarch1; 05-26-2016 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-25-2016, 01:18 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Have you had the battery tested since it was discharged and re-charged? These things are notorious for electrical gremlins and warning lights when the battery isn't healthy.

Originally Posted by RajDatta
Before we kill this mechanic, there are situations when the different modules need to meet readiness criteria when the battery is fully discharged or changed. Does it effect the Cayenne? Not sure, but it does affect a lot of vehicles.
True, but that doesn't trip the CEL (at least it didn't on my 2013). Those are just flags seen when you plug a reader up to it.

The presence of the CEL means some code is being thrown and the first thing the mechanic should have done is plugged it up and read out the codes. From there it really depends on what the code(s) is.
Old 05-25-2016, 02:00 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RajDatta
The only cure for that is to drive the car until all modules reach readiness.
Do a search in the 993 boards for readiness a you will see what the requirements are.
Sorry, but that is not how the CEL works. OBDII standards dictate that. Readiness codes are a whole different matter. But not having readiness set will not turn on the CEL.

Now, there are some that you have to fix before the light will reset (ABS and AIRBAG) as they self check all the time. If the issue has been fixed it will turn off.

Quick Reply: Check engine light on - My mechanic tells me I need to drive it more. I've done 300+