Sponsored by:

2008 Cayenne headlight plug

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2008 Cayenne headlight plug

I got the headlight to slide out. How do you remove the plug? The manual says to press on the tab D. Did so and the tab broke. Plug is still stuck fast. Read another thread of someone who did the same thing but no resolution.

I am a bit afraid of prying on the whole plug with a flat blade screw driver. I prodded on the tab area with said screw driver. Nothing will budge. Put the whole thing back in so I could ask for help.

I am pretty disappointed in whoeve spec'ed out this plug. It is a POS. the tab is small and brittle.

Ideas?

Thanks.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:54 AM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The trick is to press on the tab while pulling the plug out. There's a rubber o-ring on the male plug which keeps the contacts dry. You'll have to keep wiggling on the plug so that it will eventually release.

Whatever you do, don't pull the plug from the wires.
Old 08-11-2015, 09:36 PM
Pbacon
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well, I tried what you said. Did not find a way to wiggle it loose. I was afraid that I would break the connector. I spent about 5 minutes gently prying with a small screwdriver. I found that I could get the headlight all the way out and flip it around to get to all the access doors. I was also able to pull the lights below.

I still think it is a really poor design. I am sure there are better connectors out there that can seal and be easier to remove. Hopefully these bulbs will last long enough for me to forget how I did this. LOL

Thanks
Old 05-25-2016, 01:44 PM
zonnie
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

this happened to me yesterday i was heated! but the good thing is you can still change your bulbs as the headlight comes out pretty far still.

just make sure to line the bottom of the headlight with some towels so it doesnt scratch ur bumper
Old 05-25-2016, 02:03 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Pbacon
Well, I tried what you said. Did not find a way to wiggle it loose. I was afraid that I would break the connector. I spent about 5 minutes gently prying with a small screwdriver. I found that I could get the headlight all the way out and flip it around to get to all the access doors. I was also able to pull the lights below.

I still think it is a really poor design. I am sure there are better connectors out there that can seal and be easier to remove. Hopefully these bulbs will last long enough for me to forget how I did this. LOL

Thanks
Post a picture of the connector.

The mistake almost everyone does is try and press that tab then pull. The connector is up against the locking tab. Push the connector together tighter, then press the tab, then pull apart.

Quick Reply: 2008 Cayenne headlight plug