Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone tried these Chinese Android 4.4 radio systems for 955?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 06:45 PM
kjbu
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Anyone tried these Chinese Android 4.4 radio systems for 955?

Hi
I'm looking for a replacement for the original radio. It must have
* Support for BOSE MOST fiber optic sound system original in car
* Support for DAB+
* GPS
* Wifi, Bluetooth, control on steering wheel, RDS, FM and so on

China is selling a lot of brands looking the same, probably from the same factory.
Seicane 2003-2011 is one of them.

Anybody tried those China-units?
A lot of them on ebay and Aliexpress/Alibaba.

I'm worried about
- Bad sound quality
- Slow boot
- High spec but low usability
- Crappy interface
- Bad integration to steering wheel
- Need to re-wire antennas etc
- DAB working bad
Old 04-13-2016, 09:21 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ll-review.html

Several of the ebay ones mention not supporting the fiber optic bus — at least out of the box — and to email them before buying. I assume you have to factor in a MOST adapter to those prices which brings them closer to a dynavin.
Old 04-13-2016, 09:50 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

In that link, the fiber optic adapter is a $129.00 option.

So $660.00 total and they estimated shipping at another $65.00. All this from a Chinglish website...no thanks!
I admit it seems impressive and maybe if they were selling for closer to $300, I'd be willing to take the chance.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:03 PM
der Geist
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a 4.4 Android in my Boxster with upgraded front and the aftermarket rear speakers. I had no complaints at all, I think I got a big bang for the buck. Rear camera, multiple video in and outs, front DVR dash cam, Blue tooth, all the android apps and much more. All for $400 1 1/2 years ago. The same unit is $300 now. The sound quality was good, of course in a convertible does it matter that much? Mine had pre-amp and sub woofer outputs as well. I used the internal 45W amp and bypassed the Porsche amp wiring direct to my speakers.

I have an earlier model android unit in my Touareg and I have no complaints with that either. It looks factory and functions perfectly with the factory amp and speakers.

One thing I will tell you is that you have to watch the ones that say "steering wheel controls". Generally the only steering wheel control that worked was the volume.

I bought mine from a Chinese seller who sold on Amazon. Inventory is in the US and it shipped as prime. Unlike Aliexpress/alibaba you have the option for a refund if you are not happy with it. You won't get a refund if you direct from China, only exchange and you'll pay freight each way. Support was really good but you'll find better on xda-forums.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:00 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the 9" Touch screen. Someone already linked my write-up. Its not for everyone, but I love it and it passed the "non-technical-wife" test. Specifically to answer your questions:

- Bad sound quality? Mine sounds great, but I did have to use a ground-loop isolator.
- Slow boot? The FM and backup camera work in lessthan 2sec, the rest of the UI takes about 15sec
- High spec but low usability? Not sure exactly what you are asking, but the old android version and limited ROM definitly restricts some apps
- Crappy interface? The UI exceeds my expectations for any car stereo. I wish I could mod the launcher bar, but otherwise great.
- Bad integration to steering wheel? Mine came mapped 100% same as OEM.
- Need to re-wire antennas etc? One antenna can plug directly in and get adequate reception. I bought two connectors to merge and amplify the porsche dual antennas and now I have the same reception as OEM
- DAB working bad? I dont think we have digital FM around here. I just use IHeartRadio, SlackerRadio, or other apps to get better "radio" quality.

I purchased mine directly from Seicane and it was delivered in 5 days. They responded to 3 email questions all within 24 hours. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited by morrisdl; 04-18-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: apparently cant use "<"
Old 04-18-2016, 05:20 PM
kjbu
Advanced

Thank you for reply, morrisdl.
The 9" unit is not possible to use with DAB, that is the main reason to replace the original PCM 2.0 unit. Norway is closing down FM in 2017, first country in the world. All radios must be replaced with DAB or streaming via internet.

The only cheap Chinese radios with DAB-option is the one I linked to :
http://www.seicane.com/car-dvd-playe...tooth-srd-8816

Anybody tried that unit with BOSE fiber optic option in a 955?
I don't trust reviews on their own site.
Old 06-26-2016, 06:23 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by morrisdl
I have the 9" Touch screen. Someone already linked my write-up. Its not for everyone, but I love it and it passed the "non-technical-wife" test. Specifically to answer your questions:

- Bad sound quality? Mine sounds great, but I did have to use a ground-loop isolator.
- Slow boot? The FM and backup camera work in lessthan 2sec, the rest of the UI takes about 15sec
- High spec but low usability? Not sure exactly what you are asking, but the old android version and limited ROM definitly restricts some apps
- Crappy interface? The UI exceeds my expectations for any car stereo. I wish I could mod the launcher bar, but otherwise great.
- Bad integration to steering wheel? Mine came mapped 100% same as OEM.
- Need to re-wire antennas etc? One antenna can plug directly in and get adequate reception. I bought two connectors to merge and amplify the porsche dual antennas and now I have the same reception as OEM
- DAB working bad? I dont think we have digital FM around here. I just use IHeartRadio, SlackerRadio, or other apps to get better "radio" quality.

I purchased mine directly from Seicane and it was delivered in 5 days. They responded to 3 email questions all within 24 hours. Good luck with your decision.
Just came across this, read the referenced thread as well. It seems like some of the install base are having issues with needing to upgrade antennas and reboot occasionally, etc. I'm curious if you've run into some of the same issues or if perhaps these users, talking about rooting their head unit, are more power users kinda creating their own work. Did your GPS work out of the box without problem? Seems like there ought to be a faq forming on this update. I'm not anxious to be an early adopter, would just like it to work if I go this route, so a comprehensive list of items necessary with links would be great.
Old 06-26-2016, 11:17 PM
morrisdl
Instructor

I had no problems using the provided GPS antenna. I know a couple of the others tried to use the OEM GPS antenna, but that is terminated under the passenger seat (I think). I drilled a small hole and mounted the provided antenna with velcro under the large top center dash speaker grill. The actual speaker only occupies 10% of that space. I have not rooted, and alternate launcher UI, or loaded even the vendor provided Software update. Mine is working well fine and Im preoccupied with coils and plugs at the moment....but I still love the headunit!
Old 06-27-2016, 12:03 AM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 250 Posts

I had no problems using the provided GPS antenna. I know a couple of the others tried to use the OEM GPS antenna, but that is terminated under the passenger seat (I think). I drilled a small hole and mounted the provided antenna with velcro under the large top center dash speaker grill. The actual speaker only occupies 10% of that space. I have not rooted, and alternate launcher UI, or loaded even the vendor provided Software update. Mine is working well fine and Im preoccupied with coils and plugs at the moment....but I still love the headunit!
Good to hear. Thanks. I'm in. Checking with a local install shop to see if they want to do the job.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:15 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How do you get to that space? Do you pull the speaker from above, or reach up from the radio holder?
Old 07-11-2016, 10:25 AM
morrisdl
Instructor

THe speaker grill pops out easily. I start popping it open back by the windshield. I didn't remove the actual speaker. There is a slot right in the middle with an opening to radio below. I had to open up the slot with a drill bit to get the USB plugs to fit though.

What is all this space intended for?
Old 07-12-2016, 01:45 AM
hgupta
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

THe speaker grill pops out easily. I start popping it open back by the windshield. I didn't remove the actual speaker. There is a slot right in the middle with an opening to radio below. I had to open up the slot with a drill bit to get the USB plugs to fit though.

What is all this space intended for?
Wow. All this time, I thought there was one big subwoofer in there. Looks like I will be storing items there too!
Old 07-12-2016, 04:02 AM
kjbu
Advanced

Maybe a good spot for the DAB+ antenna as well??
Old 08-25-2019, 05:40 PM
AndersonLima
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update and mcu for Porsche Cayenne aftermarket Unit Android 4.2 Jelly Bean

Hi! Is this unit a Android 4.2 Jelly Bean? Rockchip RK3066 I am desperate after the Update and mcu files , my unit can only get into system recovery but does not boot. I brought mine in 2015 from a shop on Ebay that does not answer my emails, so as this units for Porsche are so exclusive it is quiet hard to find any information... If you have it could you please send it to me on andylima@me.com Thank you! Kind regards Anderson Lima

Old 08-25-2019, 10:39 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,160 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by hgupta
Wow. All this time, I thought there was one big subwoofer in there. Looks like I will be storing items there too!
It's an air-vent for the HVAC system.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried these Chinese Android 4.4 radio systems for 955?