9" Android Radio Install Review - Page 6 - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

9" Android Radio Install Review

Reply

Old 06-07-2016, 12:03 AM
  #76  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara View Post
Also, Did anyone buy the rear view camera from Seicane? Did you route the power cables from the reverse light? Where did you get the ACC- and ACC+ connections from ?
I didn't get mine from Seicane, but it was pretty similar. My installer did it, and got power from the reverse light. Really, you can get it from anywhere because the screen switches automatically to that input even if gets constant power.
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:07 AM
  #77  
Vidyashankara
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Thanks hgupta!

Have you had any luck installing other boot animations? Right now I have one that shows android. I want to change it to the revolving porsche logo. The inbuilt boot animation app does not have an easy import option. I downloaded the zip file of the animation to the download folder, and on the app, i tapped "import from external drive" and typed /mnt/sdcard/Download/Porsche.zip" and it does nothing.

Am I doing something wrong?
Vidyashankara is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:09 AM
  #78  
Vidyashankara
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by morrisdl View Post
The Seicane is a bluetooth master. Pairing to slave device settings are in the phone dialer app. This is somewhat logical since most of the time its a phone you are pairing to for calls HFP (but it also supports music stream A2DP). The Seicance should be able to host to multiple slave devices simultaneously, but I have not tried. Phone, iPod, ODBII, etc..

The android bluetooth slave settings on the Seicane are not accessible. I can only think of a couple use cases where you might even need the slave settings: 1) Play to a bluetooth headset or external speaker. 2) connect android wear watch maybe. In this one way its unlike a tablet, and more like a home receiver. Im sure they could not customize the android settings menu to do whats needed.
Thanks Morris. I have a wifi odbII connector now and I would actually like to use bluetooth instead so I can connect to a wifi network while using Torque. Do I just use the phone app to connect to the bluetooth obdii adapter? Do you see any problem with just leaving the adapter there 24/7?
Vidyashankara is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:21 PM
  #79  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara View Post
Thanks hgupta!

Have you had any luck installing other boot animations? Right now I have one that shows android. I want to change it to the revolving porsche logo. The inbuilt boot animation app does not have an easy import option. I downloaded the zip file of the animation to the download folder, and on the app, i tapped "import from external drive" and typed /mnt/sdcard/Download/Porsche.zip" and it does nothing.

Am I doing something wrong?
I haven't tried yet, but I want to. I don't like the stock android one. It's just ok. Where did you get the revolving Porsche logo? I would love to try it. Do you have a link?
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:29 PM
  #80  
Vidyashankara
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Vidyashankara is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:37 PM
  #81  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara View Post
Thanks Morris. I have a wifi odbII connector now and I would actually like to use bluetooth instead so I can connect to a wifi network while using Torque. Do I just use the phone app to connect to the bluetooth obdii adapter? Do you see any problem with just leaving the adapter there 24/7?
I leave my bluetooth ODB2 adapter hooked up all the time. So far, no issues. I know others have Torque launch at boot, so it should be fine.

Yes, you use the bluetooth (phone) app to make the bluetooth ODB2 connection. Wifi can only connect to one device at a time, so intentionally did not get any other wifi adapters for use in my car.
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 04:31 PM
  #82  
Vidyashankara
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 108
Default

Originally Posted by hgupta View Post
I leave my bluetooth ODB2 adapter hooked up all the time. So far, no issues. I know others have Torque launch at boot, so it should be fine.

Yes, you use the bluetooth (phone) app to make the bluetooth ODB2 connection. Wifi can only connect to one device at a time, so intentionally did not get any other wifi adapters for use in my car.
Very cool! I just bought a bluetooth adapter on amazon. I am guessing you are able to use both phone and the adapter simultaneously.

Also, how do you get the app to start at boot?
Vidyashankara is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 07:07 PM
  #83  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara View Post
Very cool! I just bought a bluetooth adapter on amazon. I am guessing you are able to use both phone and the adapter simultaneously.

Also, how do you get the app to start at boot?
Yes, you can use multiple bluetooth connections at once.

I think there is a setting, but for me, to get it to torque to boot, I used tasker to detect bluetooth connection. If it detects the ODB2 bluetooth connection, it starts Torque. That way, Torque does not start up and consume resources when the ODB2 is not plugged in.

You can also have tasker open specific apps that require wifi. for example, spotify and waze once the wifi hotspot connections.
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 10:33 PM
  #84  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara View Post
Very cool! I just bought a bluetooth adapter on amazon. I am guessing you are able to use both phone and the adapter simultaneously.

Also, how do you get the app to start at boot?

Just installed Widgets for Torque so that they are on my homescreen. They also automatically start Torque if it isn't already running.
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:56 AM
  #85  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by Vidyashankara View Post
Tried forever to change the boot animation to anything else that I downloaded... couldn't get get it to to work either. I wonder if it is a gif or single movie file instead of a series of pictures.

I am also curious about developer settings menu and extra settings options. I don't know the code to access it.
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 10:47 AM
  #86  
morrisdl
User
Thread Starter
 
morrisdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Smith Mt Lake, VA
Posts: 125
Default

Great suggestions on Tasker. Its a amazing app for the technically minded. I didnt know about the tasker widgets - looks cool.

Support gave me the super secure password: 123456
morrisdl is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:23 PM
  #87  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by morrisdl View Post
Great suggestions on Tasker. Its a amazing app for the technically minded. I didnt know about the tasker widgets - looks cool.

Support gave me the super secure password: 123456
Cool... Impressed you got a response from them. I wonder what additional options are available. I would love control of the canbus to send track names to the cars dashboard.

Tasker and widgets are the reason I switched from iPhone. My phone does awesome stuff that I could only dream of when I was with Apple.

Still struggling with Bluetooth audio streaming from my phone. Inconsistently connections.
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:04 PM
  #88  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by morrisdl View Post
Great suggestions on Tasker. Its a amazing app for the technically minded. I didnt know about the tasker widgets - looks cool.

Support gave me the super secure password: 123456
Couldn't get this code to work with the developer options, but it was helpful for extra settings. I only played with it for a few minutes, but I got RDS working on the radio, and now station name and song title appears on the screen!
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:08 PM
  #89  
hgupta
User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by hgupta View Post
Couldn't get this code to work with the developer options, but it was helpful for extra settings. I only played with it for a few minutes, but I got RDS working on the radio, and now station name and song title appears on the screen!
And my AM radio comes in clean after setting it to US.!
hgupta is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 12:11 AM
  #90  
morrisdl
User
Thread Starter
 
morrisdl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Smith Mt Lake, VA
Posts: 125
Default

They responded to my 4 emails within 24 hours. try 8888 for developer options. I cant remember if that worked.

My 'old' S5 has occasional issues with streaming to it. My wife's new Nexus works fine. Now that I have MiFi, I just stopped steaming. Let me know if you figure it out.

Thanks!
morrisdl is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 9" Android Radio Install Review


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: