Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Cayenne owners former or current 911 owners?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 04:18 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Any Cayenne owners former or current 911 owners?

I asked this question in the 997 forum but got a very limited response. I figured I might get a better response if I posted the same question over here. Rather than reposting everything, I'll link to the original post.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-or-turbo.html

TL;DR- Current 911 owner seeking thoughts and opinions on switching to a Cayenne GTS
Old 03-14-2016, 04:40 PM
dave911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep. You're gonna like it. I just sold my '85 Hot Rod 911 after buying a Cayenne GTS. Be warned thoough, even with a 6-speed, the Cayenne is no replacement for the raw mechanical feel of a mid-eighties 911. But the handling is remarkable, and sure footed. Feels like a 4-wheel drive 928 S4. I had no real intention of selling the 911, but the market is hot, and I got absolute TOP dollar. She will be missed. Good luck.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:40 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What exactly do you want to know?

The Cayenne feels heavy, detached and is more expensive to maintain compared to a 911, but it's definitely the sweetest SUV out there in terms of handling and build quality. My Cayenne Turbo (w/ PDCC) handles better in the corners than my 3-series BMW.

As the only fun thing you can really do with a Cayenne is to go fast, Turbo is what you want .
Old 03-14-2016, 04:41 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

+1,
I need to go to a bigger car and need to give up the Carrera. Also a few issues are forcing this decision.
I'm primarily looking for handling and traction info, not speed as much. So.... my choices are 09/10 GTS vs 11 and up V6/V8
Any compare and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:48 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by malahhaor
+1,
I need to go to a bigger car and need to give up the Carrera. Also a few issues are forcing this decision.
I'm primarily looking for handling and traction info, not speed as much. So.... my choices are 09/10 GTS vs 11 and up V6/V8
Any compare and feedback would be greatly appreciated.
You don't have to worry about traction, but make sure you get a car with PDCC if you want handling. Not matter if GTS or not, thats the biggest game changer.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 144 Likes on 103 Posts

Yep read about PDCC but having hard time finding just the right combo that actually has it.
If i had to chose between 957 GTS and 958 Cayenne/Cayenne S, what handles better?
Old 03-14-2016, 05:27 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Torre
What exactly do you want to know?

The Cayenne feels heavy, detached and is more expensive to maintain compared to a 911, but it's definitely the sweetest SUV out there in terms of handling and build quality. My Cayenne Turbo (w/ PDCC) handles better in the corners than my 3-series BMW.

As the only fun thing you can really do with a Cayenne is to go fast, Turbo is what you want .
I am just looking for ownership experiences, coming from the perspective of those that have owned both vehicles. These aren't exactly cars that get cross-shopped, so it isn't like I can find reviews comparing the two online. I don't expect that the Cayenne will be a fun to drive as my 911. One is a sports car (some say the best sports car ever built) and the other is an SUV. But I'm a current 911 owner who has some changing situations that may require me to give up the dream car, so I'm contemplating replacing it with something more practical and "almost" as fun.

Your feedback is appreciated. I did not think (nor would I have imagined) the maintenance on the Cayenne is more expensive, so that's a point well taken, and I also appreciate your turbo vs. GTS opinion.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:38 PM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by vbb
I am just looking for ownership experiences, coming from the perspective of those that have owned both vehicles. These aren't exactly cars that get cross-shopped, so it isn't like I can find reviews comparing the two online. I don't expect that the Cayenne will be a fun to drive as my 911. One is a sports car (some say the best sports car ever built) and the other is an SUV. But I'm a current 911 owner who has some changing situations that may require me to give up the dream car, so I'm contemplating replacing it with something more practical and "almost" as fun.

Your feedback is appreciated. I did not think (nor would I have imagined) the maintenance on the Cayenne is more expensive, so that's a point well taken, and I also appreciate your turbo vs. GTS opinion.
It's a heavy car, so the brakes and tires wear faster, the V8 needs two additional spark-plugs, bigger oil capacity, the car has more complicated electronics, air-suspension, pdcc etc. - and spare parts still have the same Porsche Logo and Porsche Price on them as the 911.

Here is a fun comparison of your car (997.2) vs a Cayenne Turbo on track
Old 03-14-2016, 06:51 PM
4ocious
Three Wheelin'

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

My 11 CTT is just as much fun to drive as my 997TT, just different. I would not buy a 957 or earlier Cayenne (JMO). The 958 is a much better platform. Mine has PDCC, sport, PTV, 21`wheels and all the goodies. I think its GREAT!

Last edited by 4ocious; 03-16-2016 at 07:15 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:11 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,052 Likes on 668 Posts

vbb,

On the other 997 forum, your likely getting opinions & comments that are a closer in alignment to your direct situation, since you already own the 997,... and are thinking of selling it, to replace with a Cayenne.

Whereas here,... you'll find that many of us also have 911's (& keep BOTH of them),... but not all of us have those 911's for the same reason you owned & driven your 997.

In my case I have a 1991 964 Turbo (avatar). I also own & daily drive a 2012 CTT (& same as 4ocious, mine also has PDCC/PTV, 21's, Sport, etc).

If you could keep both, that would be the best of all worlds.

If I could only own just one of them, would I eliminate the CTT? yes. I would keep the 964T. But it is NOT for many of the reasons you are now considering a SUV to replace your 911. Our 964T has been thru all growth years of our kids (ages 7/8 -up-to- 20), so the memories are strong, plus all the current continued driving experiences,... would have us keeping the 964T.

Do I love the CTT? absolutely. It is an amazing SUV that I am autocrossing & having a blast with. In many cases it frees my mind to the daily hammering I can put on a Porsche again. It satisfies my obsession.

Conversely since the 964T has risen in collectability & value, that I now reserve those hard drives only when I'm with the PCA Club, and on specific tours.

So in the end, if you MUST sell your 911 (because of all the family reasons you listed on the 997 thread),... then absolutely get a Cayenne,... GTS or TT (as long as either has PDCC). You will not be disappointed. You will continue to have TONS of fun.

Best of luck with your endeavors.
=Steve
Old 03-14-2016, 08:01 PM
pbarch1
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

vbb,
I have owned an 86, a 94, and currently own a 06 911 (997) I recently purchased an 09 Cayenne GTS. The 997 was my daily driver from 08, until 11. My commute was short and I was at a point in my life that I really didn't need to lug children around so it worked well for me. I leased a BMW 550 through the business after that and grew tired of its lack of utility. Today the 09 GTS is my daily driver and the 06 C2 Cab sits in the garage most of the time. The cayenne has been on several road trips to local ski areas as well as been on a few back roads as I also enjoy a little fly fishing when I have the chance. For me, the Cayenne has been an acceptable substitute. I don't drive the 997 very hard these days and frankly, the visceral feeling that you get from the older 911's is pretty much gone in the 997. The Cayenne is very comfortable, and in sport mode it (at the risk of getting flamed) gets after it. It's not a 911. but it has a lot of the attributes that make Porsche so much fun to own and drive. JMHO
Old 03-14-2016, 08:37 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

2013 911 C4S, 1974 911S (w/3.6ltr 964 motor), 2x944 Turbos. Also a couple of Audi's.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:37 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by bweSteve
vbb,

On the other 997 forum, your likely getting opinions & comments that are a closer in alignment to your direct situation, since you already own the 997,... and are thinking of selling it, to replace with a Cayenne.

Whereas here,... you'll find that many of us also have 911's (& keep BOTH of them),... but not all of us have those 911's for the same reason you owned & driven your 997.

In my case I have a 1991 964 Turbo (avatar). I also own & daily drive a 2012 CTT (& same as 4ocious, mine also has PDCC/PTV, 21's, Sport, etc).

If you could keep both, that would be the best of all worlds.

If I could only own just one of them, would I eliminate the CTT? yes. I would keep the 964T. But it is NOT for many of the reasons you are now considering a SUV to replace your 911. Our 964T has been thru all growth years of our kids (ages 7/8 -up-to- 20), so the memories are strong, plus all the current continued driving experiences,... would have us keeping the 964T.

Do I love the CTT? absolutely. It is an amazing SUV that I am autocrossing & having a blast with. In many cases it frees my mind to the daily hammering I can put on a Porsche again. It satisfies my obsession.

Conversely since the 964T has risen in collectability & value, that I now reserve those hard drives only when I'm with the PCA Club, and on specific tours.

So in the end, if you MUST sell your 911 (because of all the family reasons you listed on the 997 thread),... then absolutely get a Cayenne,... GTS or TT (as long as either has PDCC). You will not be disappointed. You will continue to have TONS of fun.

Best of luck with your endeavors.
=Steve
First off, your 964T is beautiful.

Secondly, I think you're sort of talking me in to just keeping the 911. I am trying to do the fiscally responsible and practical thing by selling it and getting something more family friendly, but owning a 911 isn't exactly about being fiscally responsible. It's about emotion. It's about buying the dream car that we've wanted as children. And you know what, maybe it just makes more sense to keep it, and then get something else as the larger more practical car that maybe isn't quite a Cayenne GTS in price.

That all said, I do think I owe it to myself to at least test drive a Cayenne and see if it hits some of those same notes from an emotion standpoint as my 997.2 does. I have found that if all you do with your car is commute, eventually it gets mundane no matter how exciting of a car it is. You gotta go and and rip through some gears every now and again to remind yourself why you bought a Porsche.

Sigh... first world problems, I know. Thanks for your thorough and insightful response.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:41 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by pbarch1
vbb,
I have owned an 86, a 94, and currently own a 06 911 (997) I recently purchased an 09 Cayenne GTS. The 997 was my daily driver from 08, until 11. My commute was short and I was at a point in my life that I really didn't need to lug children around so it worked well for me. I leased a BMW 550 through the business after that and grew tired of its lack of utility. Today the 09 GTS is my daily driver and the 06 C2 Cab sits in the garage most of the time. The cayenne has been on several road trips to local ski areas as well as been on a few back roads as I also enjoy a little fly fishing when I have the chance. For me, the Cayenne has been an acceptable substitute. I don't drive the 997 very hard these days and frankly, the visceral feeling that you get from the older 911's is pretty much gone in the 997. The Cayenne is very comfortable, and in sport mode it (at the risk of getting flamed) gets after it. It's not a 911. but it has a lot of the attributes that make Porsche so much fun to own and drive. JMHO
I've never driven a 993 or 996 (or anything before that either), but the 997.2 feels visceral to me. Refined, yes... but visceral when it's opened up on some back roads. I appreciate your reply though, because you currently own (a version of) the car I own, and also own (a version of) the SUV I'm considering.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:28 PM
Mendocino
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 996 c4s and a CTT ... Considering I can't get the c4s up my mile of crazy *** dirt driveway the CTT is a great daily for me, it's no 911 but it corners amazingly well for an suv. Coming from a tundra and Tacoma it's a major upgrade.

Quick Reply: Any Cayenne owners former or current 911 owners?