957 measurement request

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 12:44 PM
Torre
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 957 measurement request

Hi peeps,

I don't expect a lot of responses to this thread as it requires some manual labour , but I hope I could get something.

I've been having some calibration issues with my car as I've posted in another thread, and what I'd like to know is - what is the height difference on your car between the front and rear axel, measured from ground to the wheel arch, or are they equal height? (you can tell me in inches or cm/mm, does not matter)

Thank You!!
Old 02-27-2016, 09:57 PM
destence
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I can hopefully help with this. We have a 957 GTS 2009 would that work?
Attached Images  
Old 02-28-2016, 02:26 AM
Torre
Racer

Sure thing! The GTS overall suspension height is slightly lower than on my Turbo, but I am only looking for the difference in height between front and rear (if there is any), so it does not matter what model it is
Old 02-28-2016, 02:44 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

32 1/8" F. 32 3/4" R.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:14 PM
Torre
Racer

Thank you!!

Please feel free to post a few more for the sake of comparison peeps.

Seems that your car is around 1.3 cm lower at the front then. After the first calibration at Porsche my car was over 2 cm lower at the front, and there was visibly more space in the back fender than the front. You could exaggerate and say the car had a bit of a "dragster" stance.

Porsche Centre told me that the Cayenne should be "very straight", but for some reason done by factory instructions mine would always settle 2 cm+ lower at the front - so they calibrated it so that both axels are the same height from the ground to the wheel arch, but that made the look kind of reverse, and now there is a little more space in the front fender than in the back, and really bothers my eyes. Other Cayennes I look at look harmonic, mine doesn't.
Old 02-28-2016, 04:48 PM
TommyV
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1.5875 cm difference by my calculations (5/8")
Old 02-28-2016, 06:33 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

My GTS measures exactly the same as TommyV in the rear 32 3/4" but close to 32 1/4" in the front.
Old 02-28-2016, 08:54 PM
dave911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting. I've always thought my GTS was a bit of a "dragster". I'm seeing F ~32", R ~33.5" that's ~1.5" delta. A couple things to note - Handling seems to be a little front heavy, but predictable (which I like), AND tire wear is pretty even - whereas most Cayennes burn up the rears substantially quicker. I'm gonna listen in an MAYBE drop the rear a bit, but not too much. Thanks, Dave
Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Keep in mind we are not measuring at the point P specifies to cal the ride height.
For an accurate comparison this is the location at the rear.

Purchased my GTS in Nov. with 55K mi. The rear tires had about half the tread compared to the front. I attributed this to a heavy foot. Maybe not.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:40 AM
Torre
Racer

This was the point that they tried to measure it at, but they where confused that when doing so it left the nose too low visually, so they decided bluntly to measure from the ground to the wheel arch, and to put them at equal height. My car measures now ~34 inches all round. My 18" winters are 60 profile, not 55 as supposed to be, wonder if that affects much the calibration.

It's interesting to hear that peoples car ride at different heights.

This is how the stance of my car used to be when the front was 'hanging', but it does not come out that good on a pic. It's as if the front was in 'Low' and rear in 'Normal' mode.
Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

^^^ This is how my GTS sits. I thought it was normal.^^^

Wonder if P sets the ride height on the factory floor. Could it be they load fixed cal values in the computers, based on the model/options? This could explain the differing ride heights. Manufacturing tolerances will vary between units.

This turned out to be a helpful topic. I measured a significant difference between L/R front. After raising and lowering to the extreme limits the front heights are close but not exact. May try this a few more times to check if they equalize, if not calibration will be needed.

Last edited by v10rick; 02-29-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:11 AM
Torre
Racer

Originally Posted by v10rick
^^^ This is how my GTS sits. I thought it was normal.^^^

Wonder if P sets the ride height on the factory floor. Could it be they load fixed cal values in the computers, based on the model/options? This could explain the differing ride heights. Manufacturing tolerances will vary between units.

This turned out to be a helpful topic. I measured a significant difference between L/R front. After raising and lowering to the extreme limits the front heights are close but not exact. May try this a few more times to check if they equalize, if not calibration will be needed.
Well this is what is so weird, when I look at pics online some seem to slightly lean forward, some look very straight. Does anyone know if the official measuring points are comparable to measuring ground to arch, if you just want to find the correct difference in height between front rear. If yes, does anyone know the official height data?

Everything started off for me with a L/R difference, thats what made me have it recalibrate in the first place, after that we ended up with a low front end. Now its straight in all corners but visually its not right like that either, so it seems like the front should be just a tad lower (~1cm) than the rear, when measured to the arch.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:30 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Torre
Well this is what is so weird, when I look at pics online some seem to slightly lean forward, some look very straight. Does anyone know if the official measuring points are comparable to measuring ground to arch, if you just want to find the correct difference in height between front rear. If yes, does anyone know the official height data?

Everything started off for me with a L/R difference, thats what made me have it recalibrate in the first place, after that we ended up with a low front end. Now its straight in all corners but visually its not right like that either, so it seems like the front should be just a tad lower (~1cm) than the rear, when measured to the arch.
From a P Cal document...

The nominal values for the nominal heights of the level
sensors are stored in the control unit. The actual values
of the respective axle heights, front left, front right, rear
left, rear right, have to be measured manually and then
entered with the Porsche System Tester. The actual
values are to be measured on the two axle supports (front
axle, rear axle), both on the right and left.

The way this reads...base values are loaded in production. The Tech enters correction values to tweak the height.

IMO the most accurate way to determine the factory settings is by reading the values from an untouched unit or measure a new unit on the dealers lot.

Quick Reply: 957 measurement request