Sport Techno Tire size?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 08:26 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I have Nitto Motivos from DT and they are awesome.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:35 PM
destence
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Matt.. I appreciate the suggestion. Will let you know how it works out.
Old 03-01-2016, 11:51 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by endless_corners
I wish there was a list published someplace for all oem wheel weights. It would be nice to know the differences from that standpoint.
The Sport Technos are all quite heavy. The Sport Design is about 4 pounds lighter/wheel.....due to the flower petal/split 5-point star design.

I liked the Nitto Motivo, but the Lexani LX-Thirty 275.40.ZR20 106Y at $440/installed offers the same exact grip and treadwear....for 1/4 the price:
Attached Images  
Old 05-18-2018, 10:42 PM
destence
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Finally got around to Road Force balancing these at Discount Tire which they did for free. Totally smooth now!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:12 PM
drmindbender
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Just put 315s on the rear

I have a 2008 Cayenne S, and I have the 20" sport techno wheels, 10" wide front and rear. They have the offset spokes for the front brakes; so the width is the same but the integral offset is different...you can see the difference in the outward bowing of the spokes...I tried rotating the wheels front to back and noticed that the rear wheels on the front axle started to touch the brake rotor as I was tightening.

I have installed 315/35 tires (Accelera, I know, they are cheap...) and I actually am VERY disappointed in the performance. I expected a squishy feeling compared to the 275 width tires...but the 315s really seem to "wag" if I rock the steering wheel a little bit at freeway speeds. I started to push into a freeway junction ramp that I know I could take at 90mph on the old tires but around 60-70mph on the new tires...the PSM kicked in VERY hard and cut throttle and basically dropped the car out of the sweeping turn. At first I thought the Cayenne had a mechanical failure, it felt like the engine died...then the throttle "turned on" again...after dropping about 15-20 mph.

I am trying larger tires mainly because I wish to drive on gravel and somewhat rough fire and forest dirt roads with a 5000 lb trailer. I was thinking I would put 315s up front also but am very much afraid to do that.

I am trying to tell the difference between if the wallowing is because of the wrong tire size or because the tires are too cheap, like if I put Pirelli or Bridgestone, would there still be the wallowing and setting off the PSM? I have about 500 miles on them brand new, are these tires actually sliding out on me? I am not a practiced racer or anything but it didn't seem like they were losing grip...altho I could be wrong.

Anyone that can share their experience with 315 tires on 20" x 10" wide rims, positive or negative, would be very helpful! I have basically trashed my Cayenne's road handling and I'm very sad. It is bad enough that I may trash these tires long before they wear out. Just not sure if I should try a different brand 315 or just go back to the 275s. Do I just need to get run-flats with stiffer sidewalls? Is this problem inherent with a 315 tire on a 10" rim?
Old 03-16-2019, 02:13 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,151 Likes on 764 Posts

I would have to guess the inexpensive tires. The size isn't excessive (bigger than that is stock on the 958 turbo..) I assume the 315/35 is rated for use with a 10" wide rim? If it was made for a wider rim that could account for the wallowing feeling.

Quick Reply: Sport Techno Tire size?