TD04 Turbo Rebuild Suggestion

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2016, 03:11 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Default TD04 Turbo Rebuild Suggestion

Does anyone have a suggestion on who to send a pair of 957 turbos to for a refresh? They are perfectly fine, but since the engine is out and getting a full rebuild, I figure it's worth freshening them up as well.

I've found quite a few places online, but figured I'd ask for suggestions here as well.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:40 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any reputable builder is going to charge fairly close to what a new set of turbos are. And even then, the rebuild won't be as good as a new set. Nor will the warranty.

Unless you have signs of wear (knicked or bent blades, excessive shaft play), I would not touch them. Turbo failures are really rare on this car. The ones I can remember where from housing cracks. Nothing really to do with the CHRA.
Old 01-21-2016, 04:50 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Most re-builders are about $350.00 for new seals / bearings / balance. I don't need new wheels or housings. Given the car has 125k miles, and it's a full engine drop to get to them, $700.00 seems like a good insurance policy!
Old 01-21-2016, 04:56 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

http://www.midwestturboconnection.co...ct-p/20018.htm

https://www.xsboostturbochargers.com...ding-services/
Old 01-21-2016, 07:04 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RT930turbo
Most re-builders are about $350.00 for new seals / bearings / balance. I don't need new wheels or housings. Given the car has 125k miles, and it's a full engine drop to get to them, $700.00 seems like a good insurance policy!
I'm just telling you my experience having turbos rebuilt on other cars. CHRA's rarely fail on the Cayenne. In fact, I can't recall any CHRA's failing from my immediate memory. Many turbos have been replaced thinking they are leaking oil, only to realize the oil in the charge pipe is supposed to be there. Porsche ultimately released a TSB annotating this.

So, you need to weight the option of having an established reliable turbo with no known issues against having some shop rebuild them for fairly cheap, and what ultimately happens if they screw up, or the parts they install aren't as good as the originals. They're not going to pay for the labor to pull the motor to warranty a 50 dollar seal. They'll just warranty the seal and their labor to replace it.

With my experience on other cars, I would not choose to buy a CTT with two good turbos that were rebuilt. My assumption is that I'm not the only one, so there is a good chance you would reduce your pool of potential buyers going this route, too.

When a CHRA fails, it's like a bat cloud behind the car. On other cars, the turbine itself can snap off and fail. Literally, I can't think of a single post in the last few years on Renn where that has happened. There might be one, but turbo failures are just not something people worry about on this car.
Old 01-21-2016, 08:31 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

I went with scrollproducts and they also upgraded the compressor wheels to 63mm (AFAIK).
Old 01-21-2016, 10:15 PM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I was thinking of bumping them to -20s and while I agree that things could go wrong, with my luck if I leave them be, I'll lose one in 10k miles.

As for resale, I don't care. I'm clearly not sane to be investing more in a complete engine overhaul that's more than the car is worth on its best day. The rebuilt engine probably hurts resale anyway.

They are a very reliable turbo, the TD04 has a great track record. That being said they are common as dirt, so I can't imagine qualified rebuilders are difficult to find either.

I want everything that requires an engine pull to be as fresh as possible. As much fun as this has been, I have plenty of other mechanical A-holes I'd rather be working on

Last edited by RT930turbo; 01-22-2016 at 12:54 AM.
Old 01-22-2016, 12:46 AM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was gonna say... Compressor wheel time?! Bueller? A remap later and then...
Old 01-23-2016, 02:53 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

http://www.scrollproducts.com/en/ I'm also recommending Scroll Turbos. They have a facility in N.Jersey. I had my K04 turbos rebuilt there for my Audi RS6. Not the cheapest but if you're going to have them done have them done right. Scroll can also do any updates if there have been running design improvements. Wrinkledpants has a point, it is an engine pull to get to them really so if you want them done get them done right, Scroll will make them like new or better depending on what options they have. How many miles on them now? If you do regular oil changes with a top rated oil the wear should be low.
P.S. After looking I see the 957 Turbos new from Sonnen Porsche for $1001 ea. Not a bad price for new Turbochargers
Old 01-24-2016, 01:12 AM
RT930turbo
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hahnmgh63
http://www.scrollproducts.com/en/ I'm also recommending Scroll Turbos. They have a facility in N.Jersey. I had my K04 turbos rebuilt there for my Audi RS6. Not the cheapest but if you're going to have them done have them done right. Scroll can also do any updates if there have been running design improvements. Wrinkledpants has a point, it is an engine pull to get to them really so if you want them done get them done right, Scroll will make them like new or better depending on what options they have. How many miles on them now? If you do regular oil changes with a top rated oil the wear should be low.
P.S. After looking I see the 957 Turbos new from Sonnen Porsche for $1001 ea. Not a bad price for new Turbochargers
Thanks! That's exactly what I'm looking for. They have 125k on them, oil changes at 5k and they are truly in great shape. I just hate to have everything else be brand spanking new, and have to worry about the turbos. Hopefully with the cylinder der wall issues corrected permanently, it will go another 150k. Not sure how the turbos would look after 300k
Old 01-24-2016, 02:44 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts

With 125K on them and if I planned on keeping it for a long time I would probably consider replacing. I think after looking at the price I would only go with Scroll for a modified Turbo and would go with the new OEM. Scroll OEM rebuilds are probably 2/3'rds to 3/4 the price of the new OEM's. Still, a fair amount of money either way. Regular oil changes, always idle them down for minute or two after a hard run to let them cool a little, probably easily last 300K.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:20 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Having the engine out makes me always want larger compressor wheels, catless downpipes and larger injectors... plus a mild tune and you can have a big grin on your face for 150k miles

Quick Reply: TD04 Turbo Rebuild Suggestion