Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2015, 09:23 AM
tm2k
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2004 Cayanne dead throttle issue

Hi All!

Awesome forum and my first post.

I have a 2004 Cayenne S and am having the dreaded no throttle issue that seems to plague this car. I have read just about every theory on why this happens and how to fix it. I have replaced the brake pedal switch at first for a quick fix but that did nothing. I have read that steering angle sensors might be the problem as well as trans control modules or updating the computer.

Before I pull out whats left of my hair has anyone definitively fixed this problem?

I almost thought steering angle sensor since it only seems to happen when turning into traffic(of course) and some sites have said the car thinks its in a spin so the throttle is chopped. Unfortunately it happened in a straight line yesterday so that theory is out the window.

Any insight on this issue would be greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 12-15-2015, 12:37 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And you have ruled out fuel related? A failing fuel pump will definitely give you a dead or dying pedal.
Old 12-15-2015, 10:05 PM
Lionworks Auto
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Do you mean there's a lag in acceleration? If so, I had this something terrible on my 04 CTT and we opened the cam covers and repaired/bent the cam timing tooth back into position at end of shafts. This immediately cured the issue. She roars into power now. Pic attached.

Old 12-15-2015, 10:51 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 161 Likes on 111 Posts

If the car thinks it's losing traction, you should see the indicator light up on the dash.
Have you tried it with the PSM turned off? It doesn't disable all functions but if the car falsely thinks it's losing traction, turning it off may narrow things down.
Old 12-16-2015, 09:21 AM
tm2k
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply's!

Fuel pressure is good and holds pressure.

I just changed the valve cover gaskets and those tabs were all perfect. Plenty of power for sure(best SUV ever)

I will try the PSM today and see if it happens then.

I have noticed that if I rev the car in neutral there is a big hesitation before the engine revs. It almost sounds like its sucking in to much air and has to catch up to itself for a second before revving.

Dave
Old 12-16-2015, 02:30 PM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tm2k
Thanks for the quick reply's!

Fuel pressure is good and holds pressure.

I just changed the valve cover gaskets and those tabs were all perfect. Plenty of power for sure(best SUV ever)

I will try the PSM today and see if it happens then.

I have noticed that if I rev the car in neutral there is a big hesitation before the engine revs. It almost sounds like its sucking in to much air and has to catch up to itself for a second before revving.

Dave

Did you check your MAF's ?
Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 AM
ekstroemtj
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Did you solve your problem?

Quick Reply: 2004 Cayanne dead throttle issue