Sponsored by:

cold cranking issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 09:28 AM
Keith Coe
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default cold cranking issues

Have an 09 Cayenne. Recently the vehicle will not crank with first turn of the key, but will then start on second crank. Battery is not quite two years old. Does this sound like a battery issue or starter issue. I noticed that the battery meter is nearly pegged to 16 after starting and stays high for the most part.
Old 12-06-2015, 11:29 AM
Dan87951
Nordschleife Master

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Do you have a firm force on the brake pedal? My wife who has a "princess" touch to things came in telling me the same thing when I let her borrow my car. It ended up being she wasn't pressing the brake pedal hard enough.

I wonder if you have some kind of sensor going out? Reason being is these cars will not crank without a foot on the brake pedal. If you put your foot on the brake pedal and then insert the key vs inserting the key and putting the foot on the brake pedal do you notice any change? Good luck and I hope its an easy fix!
Old 12-06-2015, 11:33 AM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Coe
Have an 09 Cayenne. Recently the vehicle will not crank with first turn of the key, but will then start on second crank. Battery is not quite two years old. Does this sound like a battery issue or starter issue. I noticed that the battery meter is nearly pegged to 16 after starting and stays high for the most part.
Sounds like a starter or tumbler issue.
Old 12-06-2015, 01:05 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

If you turn the key without pressing the brake pedal, the info screen will remind you to press the brake pedal.

There are no tumblers in the ignition switch. Any cut sidewinder key blank will start the car as long as it has the correct remote fob next to it. Door lock and glove compartment do have tumblers. Maybe this changed by '09 but I doubt it.

Does this happen at every start or after the vehicle has sat overnight? There may be a parasitic drain or a shorted battery cell. Pegging the volt meter is not normal and indicates a very discharged battery.
Old 12-06-2015, 02:54 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Is it doing the "very short crank of the starter and then a 'click'"?
And then you have to turn it all the way off and back on and it then cranks normally?
And is "normal" cranking somewhat slower than other cars?

This is a known issue. There doesn't seem to be any consensus on cause.

Mine did the above. The PO had had the battery replaced on the dealer recommendation, but it made no difference.

When I replaced the coolant pipes, I did the starter at the same time. Since replacing the starter, the "cranking speed" is vastly improved. Significantly faster.

And it hasn't done the "short crank and click" since.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:04 AM
Keith Coe
Racer

Joe: what you describe is EXACTLY what is occurring. Turn the key the first time, it cranks once. Turn it off and then it will crank second time, but doesn't fire up quickly. I will contact dealer and see his recommendations. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

I'll bet that the dealer suggests replacing the battery.

I'll also bet that it won't make much (if any) difference.

Make sure you are sitting down when you ask how much to replace the starter (it's buried under the intake).
Old 12-07-2015, 01:17 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Coe
Turn the key the first time, it cranks once. Turn it off and then it will crank second time, but doesn't fire up quickly. I will contact dealer and see his recommendations. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
Same here but only during cold winter months where the temps drop below freezing. Battery's two years old. All I do is keep the key pegged the first time and she fires up. No problem during summer months.
Old 12-07-2015, 01:23 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,141 Likes on 758 Posts

You might consider having a "load-test" done to the battery. Any decent repair shop could do it..
Old 12-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Keith Coe
Racer

Well, took it to the dealer, both the battery and starter are needing replacement. Thank God for extended warranty, I'll only have to pay deductible of $250 and the labor for the battery.

Quick Reply: cold cranking issues