Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Socks as snow chain alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 01:02 PM
AussieInLA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Auto Socks as snow chain alternative?

Hi There,

Headed north to Tahoe in the '08 GTS for winter and will be required to carry chains. Don't want to get winter tires and definitely don't want to ruin my rims with traditional chains. Has anyone had any experience with Auto Socks? They are material based 'traction device' alternatives that are supposedly approved for use in CA.

Alternatively, Does anyone recommend an alternative?

http://www.autosock.us

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-17-2015, 03:27 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Here is a link to California

http://www.autosock.us/california-approval/
Old 12-17-2015, 04:08 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieInLA
Hi There,

Headed north to Tahoe in the '08 GTS for winter and will be required to carry chains. Don't want to get winter tires and definitely don't want to ruin my rims with traditional chains. Has anyone had any experience with Auto Socks? They are material based 'traction device' alternatives that are supposedly approved for use in CA.

Alternatively, Does anyone recommend an alternative?

http://www.autosock.us

Thanks in advance!
I've used them. They work fine if you have skinny tires that can cut through the snow. I don't see how they're going to work that well on a GTS with summer tires and wide rims. You'd need them on all 4 wheels to keep the back end from swinging out or sliding sideways on any section that is off-camber.

If you're going to be in Tahoe all season, you're crazy not to get snow tires. You'd need those socks on all 4 wheels anytime there is snow on the road. Summer tires on a GTS wheel - you're going to be stuck in parking lots with a few inches of snow.
Old 12-17-2015, 08:00 PM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by AussieInLA
Headed north to Tahoe in the '08 GTS for winter. Don't want to get winter tires
Are you planning to run summer tires all winter? If so, check the low temperature operating specs and you might find that Tahoe's even colder. At temps below the spec, the tires will pass through the glass transition temperature and will be hard as a rock. Then it's no traction for you, even on a clean dry street
Old 12-18-2015, 06:27 PM
AussieInLA
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just going there for 2 weeks. So I can't see the value in buying a whole new set of wheels or even tires.... but maybe I need to?
Old 12-18-2015, 08:05 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you're only going this once, and will never go again - rent a Tahoe. If you're only going once this winter, and will probably go once next winter, buy a used set of snow tires and wheels.

Don't be that guy stuck at a grocery store entrance holding up everyone else because he chose to drive his AWD Porsche with summer tires in Tahoe. Or when you're braking on a back street that happens to stay in the shadows all day, and is still ice covered while everything else is mostly dry. You'll be a 5500 lb hockey puck.

If this was an A/S tire, I'd say get the sock for the front axle, and you'll be good. Might have to use the sock on steep roads with some snow or packed ice, but otherwise you'll be fine. If you had an A/S in the 255/55/18 size, I'd say bring the socks, but I bet you don't need them unless the DOT chain law is up. But, a 295 summer tire? You're fvcking crazy.

Quick Reply: Auto Socks as snow chain alternative?