2006 Hesitatant Idol Issue when Brakes Applied

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2015, 04:35 PM
Frozenrabit
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Hesitatant Idol Issue when Brakes Applied

Hello all! Happy Holidays!

I have a 2006 Cayenne S, and have run into an issue that my local porsche dealer can not seem to fix/find.

When applying the brakes and stopping, the cars idol dips dramatically almost stalling then comes back up. You can almost play with it by not applying the brakes fully when stopping so it wont do it. It does it much more dramatically between 10 mph to 0 moh, but it does it slightly at other speeds.

The dealer has changed out the fuel pumps, took apart and cleanned the intake, inspected and changed all ignition parts and inspected the rest of the fuel lines and emissions. I had them change the oil too, just as a thought of the filter or something. They even did a remapping of the tranny.

They do not know if its the computer brain a bad transmission or what. But they basicly have run out of ideas and are just giving me the car back.

Like to know if anyone here has any ideas on this.

Thanks as usual!

Robert
Old 12-02-2015, 04:53 PM
wrinkledpants
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

How many miles? Put the car in neutral then apply the brakes and come to a stop. Report back with your findings.

If you don't feel a vibration or idle dip, it's your motor mounts. Tranny comes out of lockup just before you stop (like pushing the clutch in on a car). This puts a torque on the motor as well as an idle dip, but you don't normally notice it because healthy engine mounts absorb it. Aged engine mounts will make this much more pronounced by way of vibration.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 PM
endless_corners
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have seen numerous mentions of this problem so you are not alone. You should be able to find some threads on it. Mine has been doing it for a while and it does seem worse on cold winter mornings. Aside from cleaning the throttle body the mounts as wrinklypants mentioned are a likely candidate.
Old 12-03-2015, 06:30 PM
Frozenrabit
Track Day

Originally Posted by wrinkledpants
How many miles? Put the car in neutral then apply the brakes and come to a stop. Report back with your findings.

If you don't feel a vibration or idle dip, it's your motor mounts. Tranny comes out of lockup just before you stop (like pushing the clutch in on a car). This puts a torque on the motor as well as an idle dip, but you don't normally notice it because healthy engine mounts absorb it. Aged engine mounts will make this much more pronounced by way of vibration.

Hello,

My mileage is around 156,000.

I tested it according to your suggestion and found that when in neutral and coming to a stop, there is no idol jiggle. I do notice a ramdom smell of burnt oil coming through the vents everyonce in awhile. I would say once day for about 5 minutes. Usually at the coming to a stop speed.

I will have the mounts replaced out as soon as possible! Thanks for all the advice!

Robert Chavoya
Old 02-29-2016, 08:51 PM
Frozenrabit
Track Day

Hello all!

So, this idle issue is still ongoing, which was getting me annoyed due to it being inconsistent and seeming to have no patern to weather, temp, or distance driven. I had a independent shop look at the motor mounts and they all look solid. They did a inspection of everything else while they had the car and found nothing else.

After, I took it to a different Porsche dealer and was told it was the cam shaft sensors are bad. They showed me the data from the machine and you can clearly see the difference between the cams being off. With the fuel pumps, being already replaced, this is my last option I can come up with.

Why the first dealer couldnt find any issues in three days, and the next found it in 4 hours is beyond me.

Wish me luck!
Old 07-22-2016, 04:20 PM
NotSlowNotFast
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Rabit
I'm very interested in the outcome of your idle dip situation. Any luck on a resolution?
Old 07-22-2016, 05:46 PM
wilfred
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

Try different gas station. I have better luck with Chevron & Shell, not so much with Mobil & 7-11 closest to my house

I've also noticed mine does not like winter/ethanol gas in California.

Quick Reply: 2006 Hesitatant Idol Issue when Brakes Applied