Sponsored by:

diesel vs base

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 07:12 PM
sambb
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default diesel vs base

Any comments on this dichotomy? And is a diesel safe to buy right now?
I like both, and assume since they are sold everywhere that it is ok?? Im in the USA. I took the 911 in for an oil change, and thought this would be a great winter car.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:16 PM
snzuloz
Instructor

the diesel isn't affected by the VW issue. mileage is awesome, I wouldn't part with mine, absolutely love the torque and it's fast enough for what it is.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:25 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

They've moved the price point on the diesel so that I don't think it's as great of a deal as it once was, but it's a good car still and I wouldn't worry too much about the VW fiasco (other than using it to try to beat up the dealer for something off the lot).

I love my diesel, but if I had to do it right now I'd probably go with the S. The diesel isn't as big of an initial savings as it was, the S's torque is now on par, it still has longer legs, and it's MPG is up.

The base is still a good deal it you want to configure a bunch of options without the price getting too nuts. When I bought mine I started off at the base before the diesel came out. I gave up some options I would have liked to have (4 zone ac, full leather, and 6MT being the big ones) because I wanted the diesel motor.
Old 10-30-2015, 08:34 PM
sambb
Instructor

i drove a base, and it seems fast enough for me. but i think diesel might be a better deal
Old 10-31-2015, 12:43 AM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

My wife just took her CD in for service and they gave her a brand new base model as a loaner for the day. When she got hers back, she said, "now I understand what torque does! That base model was gutless. I love my diesel!"

Hope that helps.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:16 AM
flyfisher
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 24 Posts

I had my CD in for service and they gave me a '15 S loaner. I prefer the CD.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:01 PM
caf
Rennlist Member

I was leaning towards getting a diesel at the end of the year. Drove it and really liked it, and I've currently got a 2012 MB M350 Bluetec. The diesel in that car is awesome too, but I've had a fair amount of unscheduled maintenance on it.

Although the Volkswagen derived V6 in the Porsche is not directly affected by the recall, I think there are indirect effects. For one, did VW/Porsche cheat a little bit on it as well, to improve economy and performance at the expense of emissions? I think we can be sure that even though it has a DEF system, the V6 diesel will come under close scrutiny. If something is amiss, that could be a recall for "de-tuning".

The price is also an issue. I've already heard that the Touareg diesel is being discounted heavily in the last couple of weeks--again, even though it's not directly affected. There are reports of an advertised $10K off on leftover 2015 Touareg diesels, and $7-8K on 2016s. That in itself could also drive down purchase prices and resale of Cayenne diesels.

At this point, I'm thinking of waiting a few more weeks, and if I can get a hell of deal, still going for a diesel, but if not, I'll move towards a gas model or something else entirely.
Old 11-01-2015, 03:51 PM
PJ Cayenne
Rennlist Member

Received 305 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by skiahh
My wife just took her CD in for service and they gave her a brand new base model as a loaner for the day. When she got hers back, she said, "now I understand what torque does! That base model was gutless. I love my diesel!"

Hope that helps.
We were also given a base Cayenne loaner, we much prefer the diesel, no contest.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:01 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 549 Likes on 346 Posts

Hope that helps.
I had a new base for a loaner this summer. I found it very slow.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:50 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

I echo what others have said after test driving everything from base to turbo Cayenne. Diesel > base, and S > Diesel...T
Old 11-02-2015, 12:29 PM
chuckla
Racer

We just bought a base this last weekend. I did like the diesel and its torque, but the VW scandal discouraged me from buying a diesel for whatever risk existed that the 6 cylinder would somehow be implicated and a concern that resale for a diesel might be impaired down the line. The vehicle is for my wife who does not need a fast car. When I test drove a couple of bases, I thought they were a little pokey. But, driving this weekend at speed and on secondary roads, I (who drive a '13 911 C4) found it more than adequate.

I bought it at Porsche of Tysons. For those in the DMV or nearby, I recommend Jamie Reed and this dealership. Jamie is professional, experienced, knowledgeable, accomodating and a nice guy. The car was prepared flawlessly and on time. One of the best car buying experiences that I have ever had.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:17 PM
bella1
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Torque

Hope that helps.
Exactly. I traded my wife's 2012 Cayenne for a new 2015 Cayenne Diesel White. She loves the Diesel for the same reasons.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:22 PM
skiahh
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Ouch!

New report out today says the 15 diesels have the cheat software.

Strangely, not the 14s or 16s, though. At least not so far....
Old 11-02-2015, 03:32 PM
gnat
Nordschleife Master

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Or the 13s. Seems strange to me too as they didn't make any changes to the diesel's power plant/ecu since introduction that I'm aware of (e.g. no performance or eco changes).
Old 11-02-2015, 05:06 PM
chuckla
Racer

It's probable that the 16's will be included once EPA gets its hands on some which are now arriving. We dodged a bullet in deciding not to buy a diesel.

Quick Reply: diesel vs base